RSX exists (as does PS3 Reference Tool)

Blackice said:
No I didn't read all the pages, I just assumed you didn't know final devkits had the RSX in them, final devkits which I read about elsewhere beginning shipment on the 9th December, forgive me if I missed something and oppologies for my last post.

No no, we all know final dev kits have RSX in them. But if you can indeed confirm or point to somehwere where it's stated that those very same final dev kits started shipping out on December 9th, well that my friend would be very much appreciated. ;) :)

xbdestroya said:
No no, we all know final dev kits have RSX in them. But if you can indeed confirm or point to somehwere where it's stated that those very same final dev kits started shipping out on December 9th, well that my friend would be very much appreciated. ;) :)

I'll keep looking, I've been trying to find the site without success, I only read about it yesterday too, I'm pretty sure it said first shipments started on the 9th December, I've used all kinds of search terms, but cant find the damn thing now, I wish I'd saved the link :devilish:

Blackice said:
I'll keep looking, I've been trying to find the site without success, I only read about it yesterday too, I'm pretty sure it said first shipments started on the 9th December, I've used all kinds of search terms, but cant find the damn thing now, I wish I'd saved the link :devilish:

Unless it said that (shipping on the 9th) in the past tense, it wouldn't really matter. Companies say they are going to do lots of things, we're more interested in what they are actually doing. ;)

Blackice said:

Look in your browser history, if you haven't deleted it already...

in reply to Daves comment....

Of course the design is ready, now its up too physics ee and others in bunny suits to see that it yields good at a certain frequency blablabla :)

Blackice said:
ps-meeting-2005-sonys-ps3-schedule-20050721020717331-000.jpg

The interesting thing about that slide is that the shipment numbers appear to be by month not cumulative (noting that July is 450 and Aug 200), if the January total shipped figure is around 4k then they have only shipped the number they expected to have with devs in Oct.

i.e. Dev Kits may be 2 months behind plan.

Maybe

bobthebub said:
The interesting thing about that slide is that the shipment numbers appear to be by month not cumulative (noting that July is 450 and Aug 200), if the January total shipped figure is around 4k then they have only shipped the number they expected to have with devs in Oct.

i.e. Dev Kits may be 2 months behind plan.

Maybe you are correct. If they talk of total devkits of all types then they must have more than 7000+ instead of 4000 which is large difference. However it is also possible that 4000 dev kit shipped is for latest or final devkit. I do not know. Probably they are 2 months behind production because that is always the way with product plans.

ihamoitc2005 said:
Probably they are 2 months behind production because that is always the way with product plans.

Indeed, but 2 months delay is getting close to a quarter which may put Spring launch in doubt or force dev's to launch games with less time on final hardware than planned and/or indicate launch volumes may be low.

Alternatively they could have got so far ahead of plans that most of those 4000 are final kits and all is well in PS3-land (I wouldn't bet much on that option)

I don't think we can draw any firm conclusions but it is interesting.

Perhaps the numbers are cumulative, but the discrepency where the number suddenly drops is the introduction of the newer model?

In other words they expected to ship up to 450 of the 1000 series machines, and then start shipping 2000 series.

(actually the dates seem a bit off for that - still, maths and PR presentations never mix well...)

Last edited by a moderator:
bobthebub said:
Indeed, but 2 months delay is getting close to a quarter which may put Spring launch in doubt or force dev's to launch games with less time on final hardware than planned and/or indicate launch volumes may be low.

Alternatively they could have got so far ahead of plans that most of those 4000 are final kits and all is well in PS3-land (I wouldn't bet much on that option)

I don't think we can draw any firm conclusions but it is interesting.

Would not a delay mean that devs have two months extra cause they started their games way before that timeline on the picture. If it were an internal delay that covered those two months in the spring time-frame.

overclocked said:
Would not a delay mean that devs have two months extra cause they started their games way before that timeline on the picture. If it were an internal delay that covered those two months in the spring time-frame.

Huh? It would mean the devs have 2 months extra if late hardware translates into a late release. Otherwise it means 2 months less on final hardware.

AlphaWolf said:
Huh? It would mean the devs have 2 months extra if late hardware translates into a late release. Otherwise it means 2 months less on final hardware.

No both of you guys could be right. It's the glass half empty, glass half full arguement.

overclocked said:

There were a few "or"'s in my post which sort of cover that.

If the PS3 gets delayed a quarter Dev's will have the same time with final "reference" hardware as was suggested by the slides, but they also get a few extra months general development (during the delay), but Sony get called out as liars because they are still claiming spring launch this week.

If the PS3 doesn't get delayed but reference hardware was late, dev's lose tweaking time with the actual hardware so games don't get optimised to the degree they would like. Late availability of reference kits also indicates that Sony aren't ready to stockpile final cell's and RSX's ready for a multi-million console launch.

But I'm not a dev, so make of that what you will.

edit: I think all this indicates that the hardware is late but Sony can still say it's ready by Spring then blame dev's for late launch. That's why they made a point of claiming the Sony side of things were lined up for a spring launch, failing to mention that them being late with dev kits will cause delays for the poor dev's, Give it a while and I think they will delay launch a bit, give dev's some extra time and allow themselves to build inventory for impressive launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
AlphaWolf said:

Yes on FINAL hardware but im talking about the time "project x" started on ANY kit with Cell so the difference between hardware A/B/C is negliable IMO(guesstimate).

I do get your point though and as said its how you look at it. We just start at a different timescale.

In other words what you are saying could be correct, and what i am saying too. This is afterall the first games on a new system :)

And as mckmas8808 said "No both of you guys could be right. It's the glass half empty, glass half full arguement."

The biggest problem developers are facing is probably content creation. I've looked into an issue of Edge the other day and there was a full-page ad from Guerilla, they were hiring in practically every position imaginable. Then I've turned two pages, and there was a full-page ad from Ninja Theory... So I've looked into the hiring forum on CGTalk.com and there's posts from Rockstar, Monolith, Climax, NCSoft, Shiny... all hiring for multiple positions, posted in the past month.
Looks like it's a good time to be a game artist :)

I've got a bit too many commitments right now to go abroad, especially for a long time. And I'm content enough with my job, too. Then again, I might look into what such a job could offer...

Back