RSX exists (as does PS3 Reference Tool)

ROG27

Regular
Stolen from PSINEXT PS3 forum:

" So Guerrilla Games have the PS3 Reference Tool

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

?:

Quote:
So, have Guerrilla Games got the PLAYSTATION 3 Reference Tool, Michiel ? I see you mentioned RSX...

Answer:

Quote:
About those dev kits. Well. We've made a pretty good PS2 game, a PS3 game is in the works for some time now, and we're a Sony first party. Do the math

Sounds like it, yeah? Who did that guy for work who said his team didn't get any from Sony? I'm pretty sure other developers who have launch-launch window titles also have them, along with Sony's important third party clients. Thoughts?

Link:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...=71586&page=27 "

Unfortunatley I have been banned from that Playstation site for frequent disagreements with the moderation.

Well I'm sorry to hear that...but Michiel (an official Guerilla Dev Team member) is cited in the quote. So you heard it from the horses mouth. Guerilla has the PS3 reference tool and RSX exists in the flesh.

ROG27 said:
Well I'm sorry to hear that...but Michiel (an official Guerilla Dev Team member) is cited in the quote. So you heard it from the horses mouth. Guerilla has the PS3 reference tool and RSX exists in the flesh.

What did a new dev member start posting there? last I remeber there were 3 dev team members

Ferret7 = Barbara
Viper99 = Kyle
MotherH = Seb

A lot of dev posts on that forum.

Nice find, though it doesn't explicitly say yes we have one.

Do the math: 1 + 1 = 3. Still could turn out wrong ;)

Speng.

doesn't sound too concrete to me.

the important question is, what is RSX right now?

a modified, optimised faster NV47 / G70 / GeForce 7800, or something closer to Nvidia's next-generation Shader 4.0 GPU ?

Megadrive1988 said:
Sure it is. Its as close to point-blank saying "fuck yeah, we're a Sony first-party, of course we have it" as you're going to get.

Megadrive1988 said:

a modified, optimised faster NV47 / G70 / GeForce 7800, or something closer to Nvidia's next-generation Shader 4.0 GPU ?
I don't really think its important at all, but I'd argue something closer to the former.

Yeah I agree, it honestly would be hard to get more of a confirmation than that in NDAville. For the dev to say "you piece it together," while more or less leading the question... I mean it stands to reason.

Plus our own devs on this board have been acting a little *too* wacky when asked about these dev kits lately. :p

They may not have them yet - don't know since they're not first party - but they must at least be aware of them. DeanA probably has some info on it (which he won't be able to tell us).

It doesn't really matter though I guess. I'm happy enough to wait for the specs/info whenever they come while the secretive world of Sony dev kits churns around me.

I certainly understand the purpose of NDA's but with something like verifying the RSX in development (now that we are say around 6-months to a yr. to release.) with a first party developer? I would think they could give some "limited info" even if its not exact specs.

Then again letting people speculate is worth a few million marketing $$$ :)

Megadrive1988 said:

Geesh more wishfull thinking nothing like putting a 600$ video card in a 400$ console, I'm sure Sony can afford that no problem. Is the RSX as an overclocked G71 not enough, what do you people expect it's a 400$ game system I'd say that along with cell is a pretty killer piece of hardware even as it sits now.

Last edited by a moderator:
c0_re said:
Geesh more wishfull thinking nothing like putting a 600$ video card in a 400$ console, I'm sure Sony can afford that no problem. Is the RSX as an overclocked G71 not enough, what do you people expect it's a 400$ game system I'd say that along with cell is a pretty killer piece of hardware even as it sits now.

Don't get too caught up with the prices of the PC video boards.

The GPUs for PCs are expensive because their life cycles are so short. You are mostly paying for 1) development costs, 2) the cost to ramp up to acceptable production levels. Not to mention the cost of the rest of the boards components and the onboad memory.

Launching a new chip every 6 months is very expensive and margins are very low. But wait even just a few months and your manufacturing process matures thus your costs go way down. Producing the same chip for 4-5 years at a huge volume is very profitable.

In this perspective it really doesn't matter if nvidia slaps a RSX sticker on a G70, G71, G72 or even G80. Any one of them would be very proftiable for nvidia in high volume considering the life span of the ps3.

Just remeber, those $600 cards only sell in the tens of thousands at best. The ps3 will sell in the tens of millions. 3 orders of magnitude higher!

_xxx_ said:
But the gfx chip is still the single most expensive component of a (midrange and above) gfx card.

With cards having 256-512MB memory and a big fat premium just cause they're new, i'm really not sure how much the chip itself costs. Besides, as someone stated, a chip that's to be made in the tens of millions of units and a chip that will only see tens of thousands of replicas will cost very differently.

london-boy said:
With cards having 256-512MB memory and a big fat premium just cause they're new, i'm really not sure how much the chip itself costs. Besides, as someone stated, a chip that's to be made in the tens of millions of units and a chip that will only see tens of thousands of replicas will cost very differently.

There are a few threads about it in the forums here, I'm too lazy. Also, memory is not a _single_ component, you'll likely have at least 4 RAM chips on the card ;)

Now remove the card and all, a single RSX is likely in the $100 area. If they used G80-whatnot, it would at least double. However you look at it, there is no way for such a scenario to be feasible and thus we won't see that in PS3.

_xxx_ said:
There are a few threads about it in the forums here, I'm too lazy. Also, memory is not a _single_ component, you'll likely have at least 4 RAM chips on the card ;)

Now remove the card and all, a single RSX is likely in the $100 area. If they used G80-whatnot, it would at least double. However you look at it, there is no way for such a scenario to be feasible and thus we won't see that in PS3.

Oh i wasn't saying it would be feasible, i was just rambling about how much a chip is in a high end board.

Hey I'm just saying the PS3 is gonna rock no matter what and easily be the "most powerfull" console available. No reason to hype it beyond reasonable expectations so were all disapointed when it finally comes out.(this always happens anyways with all new consoles)

Hey I though FOR SURE Microshaft would down clock the 360 before it hit final production, so when it wasn't I was pleasently surprised instead of disapointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. The fact is that the developers will just work with what's there, and after a certain point, IT'S FINE, if you know what i mean.

They won the last 2 generations with the least powerful hardware, they know they can win even if PS3 happens to be the same power or less than X360. And it looks like in the end, Bluray will be one huge deciding factor in PS3's success. But that's just me.

Back