Resistance fall of man lag on sony Bravia

GreekDNA

Newcomer
Hey dudes, wondering if anyone can help on my problem regarding LCD Lag!

I have a sony bravia xbr 4 with game mode turned on ( its sopposed to reduce lag) but when i play resistance fall of man i get alot of lag! o_O

the weird thing is that its the only game to lag!

altho that being said, if i turn off all advanced enchanments like , Black enchanments and ccontrast etc etc...the said game wont lag..but i have to compromise with a washed out colour..

anyone have the same set as me and know how to solve this weird problem?

cheers.

Hey dudes, wondering if anyone can help on my problem regarding LCD Lag!

I have a sony bravia xbr 4 with game mode turned on ( its sopposed to reduce lag) but when i play resistance fall of man i get alot of lag! o_O

the weird thing is that its the only game to lag!

altho that being said, if i turn off all advanced enchanments like , Black enchanments and ccontrast etc etc...the said game wont lag..but i have to compromise with a washed out colour..

anyone have the same set as me and know how to solve this weird problem?

cheers.

Turning off those "enchancments" does not result in washed out colour. It results in you seeing the colors the artists intended you to see. Turning them on is like putting ketchup on steak.

I always turn all of mine off. Use the contrast/brightness/hue tuning if you feel it's not vivid enough.

BTW when playing resistance on a Bravia be sure you turn the mpeg deblocking or smoothing option OFF and noise canceling to off. If either those are on, specifically resistance looks like total blurry crap.

Turning off those "enchancments" does not result in washed out colour. It results in you seeing the colors the artists intended you to see. Turning them on is like putting ketchup on steak.

I always turn all of mine off. Use the contrast/brightness/hue tuning if you feel it's not vivid enough.

BTW when playing resistance on a Bravia be sure you turn the mpeg deblocking or smoothing option OFF and noise canceling to off. If either those are on, specifically resistance looks like total blurry crap.

Wow man thanks for the awesome reply :)

Ill be sure to turn them off :cool:

btw do you have the same bravia ?

edit: should i leave game mode on?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm going to take this bravia back :(

while i turned off all the enhancements and eliminated most lag, the image looks really washed out compared with them on :devilish:

seriously disappointed.

Go get a Kuro (8th gen pioneer plasma). You'll be a happy as can be! No burn or IR to worry about and the best black level and color accuracy out there.

I wouldn't take it back just yet. Search AVS forums for recommended settings before making a choice... some of the people there have fantastic advice which can make a huge difference depending on the type of input.

I did this when I got my X-series Bravia and it definitely made a big difference. All filters off combined with tweaked tuning should give you the best possible picture.

I case you are lazy: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=720727

Last edited by a moderator:

while i turned off all the enhancements and eliminated most lag, the image looks really washed out compared with them on :devilish:

seriously disappointed.
Are you sure it's not you having been used to image 'enhancements'? Sony displays have a great reputation.

I have a V series, and never experienced any lag at all... In fact Resistance was the first game I played on that TV and it never lagged... I guess I'm lucky.

That's not exactly true, that turning off enhancements makes the games look like they are meant to. All HDTV's are different and have different settings out of the box. You really need to get games to look as good as they can. perhaps even making them look like they were meant to. I have a Samsung 32inch and I've spent a lot of time getting the settings right for the PS3...I have different settings for Blu-ray and Freeview as well.

I suggest the guy having the problem goes to AVForums and finds a thread about your very model.

Enhancements are there to improve the image output. The goal is to have black looking like black color and white looking like white etc wilst avoiding color bleeding and loss of detail!

Any

seriously disappointed.

My friend, the TV unit you received must have unusual defect.

I have not seen any lag on Sony Bravia's before. I have seen all TV's side to side and it is better than any plasma for 95% of use.

BTW, do not purchase a plasma TV. It is unreliable, has burn-in (do not pause the game or movie!) and not very bright unless the room is dark. The reason why newer plasma TV has as good black levels as top LCDs like Sony and Samsung is because of black tint on the glass like tinted window!

To make the picture show bright through the tint, they drive the panel very hard and so it will not last very long just like 300watt bulb will not last as long as 100watt bulb.

Plus, because of higher resolution, each pixel is more small. This also makes it last even less long.

Some have so-called "anti-burn-in" features that either do not work unless image is only 1-2 pixels wide (pixel-shift) or make plasma wear out too fast (white-screen).

I know TV repair people. They always get plasma calls, but not so much with LCDs.

If there is lag on your TV, it is not because it is LCD (plus XBR4 is super-fast) but because your unit has a manufacturing defect or some other problem.

I disagree. If this is only happening with one game, I doubt it's the TV's fault!

The usual suspects are everything but the TV at this point—i.e., the game disc, game server(s), Internet connection, A/V connection, the console ...

Hi guys thanks for the replies

ok i can now confirm that the bravia lags on every single game i have played so far, and quite frankly this is unacceptable of a tv of this caliber and price to perform worse than my previous LCD which had half the specs..

the thing that I'm refering too is called "Input lag" where the image takes a second delay to catch up to the action you just made on the screen - ie impossible to do headshots as accuracy goes straight out the window.

i will be taking this LCD back to the store today and looking for another hdtv that will be suitable for my gaming needs. as this tv is damn near unplayable, even with GAMEMODE on.

very disappointed sony.

Can you confirm you've reviewed the thread I linked applied all the recommended settings for PS3-based input? If so, possibly your set is a dud. I have a Bravia and have no issues at all, so I don't think you can say it's a badly designed television*shrug*

Can you confirm you've reviewed the thread I linked applied all the recommended settings for PS3-based input? If so, possibly your set is a dud. I have a Bravia and have no issues at all, so I don't think you can say it's a badly designed television*shrug*

Hey man

ok here is the weird thing

i disabled game mode and set the picture mode to standard and it seems much better now, its not perfect but playable O_O

i think when in game mode it disables the 120hz refresh rate, so i think that has something to do with it.

also dude what are your settings ?

I have a different set the 40" X-series that is 1080p - however I set my 360's input based on the settings at http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=39725&st=300&p=495583&#entry495583. In fact, I based all my inputs on this thread. Keep in mind this is based on 360 over component, but the basics (disable edge enhancement, appropriate sharpness levels, etc) should be the same.

Also, make sure you disable the light sensor. Like I said, all the "extras" just dull what is generally a fantastic image.

One last thing - you have to follow all of the settings recommended. Do not just try one, put a game on, try another one, put a game on. Do the lot at once and then have a play-through, and tweak as appropriate. If you're after a decent test of lag, try a Guitar Hero game.... not sure if there's a PS3 demo available, though there is for 360 if you have access to one.

My friend, the TV unit you received must have unusual defect.

I have not seen any lag on Sony Bravia's before. I have seen all TV's side to side and it is better than any plasma for 95% of use.

BTW, do not purchase a plasma TV. It is unreliable, has burn-in (do not pause the game or movie!) and not very bright unless the room is dark. The reason why newer plasma TV has as good black levels as top LCDs like Sony and Samsung is because of black tint on the glass like tinted window!

To make the picture show bright through the tint, they drive the panel very hard and so it will not last very long just like 300watt bulb will not last as long as 100watt bulb.

Plus, because of higher resolution, each pixel is more small. This also makes it last even less long.

Some have so-called "anti-burn-in" features that either do not work unless image is only 1-2 pixels wide (pixel-shift) or make plasma wear out too fast (white-screen).

I know TV repair people. They always get plasma calls, but not so much with LCDs.

If there is lag on your TV, it is not because it is LCD (plus XBR4 is super-fast) but because your unit has a manufacturing defect or some other problem.

I suggest you visit the AVSForum. You really have a lot to learn about how the different techs work and the actual benefits and negatives each one provides. A lot of what you posted is just completely false concerning both of those technologies. I also used to have amazingly skewed views of the different TV technologies until I stumbled across the AVSForum about 3 years ago. My ideas about TVs got turned on their collective head, lol.

Back