Resistance: Fall of Man gameplay impressions

Bad_Boy said:
looks damn spiffy! (maybe besides that ground texture in the 3rd shot, but it can be forgiven)
60fps seems to be pretty impressive to me for this game, seems like it has alot going on, especially in the outdoor areas.

I want to see more of those enemies they keep talking about, the ones that are as big as buildings. :D

edit:
heres the link to the other images..
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748483/imgs_1.html

Well COD2 is 60fps and this looks like COD2 with aliens. From what I've heard though the single player on Resistance is only 30fps, while the multiplayer is 60fps. Can anyone confirm??

RancidLunchmeat said:
Yes, I know it's oh so funny considering after all my bulb objections, we've gotten a number of reviews that say this game is nothing special at all.

Was I ever saying that shooting out bulbs was a key factor for a game? No.

What I was trying to say was that the focus of the game was aimed incorrectly and little subtle things like blowing out a bulb make a huge difference in the overall acceptance and importance of a game.

Before my enitre 'Bulb tirade' if you wish to classify it as such, this game was thought of by people (read the thread) as a "AAA Title". Following my 'bulb tirade' it now appears that this game is nothing more than a generic FPS that is a HL rip-off.

I maintain that a large part of that is directly due to the fact that the game developers failed to realize the importance of immergence and realism and focused instead on graphics and a tried and true formula, so all they have presented us with is the same thing we've seen for the past 5 years (at least).

Instead of focusing their energy on making a light source movable by player interaction, they should have focused their energy on the AI response to player interaction destroying an otherwise static light source.

I really don't see what about that concept is so difficult for people to grasp.
Reviews?!?!?! Is the game out already, did they launch the PS3 ahead of time!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?????????
The game is still about seven months from release if it's aiming to be a launch title, and it's silly to review the game already, basing your judgement on a couple of levels and couple minutes play time.

I wonder how Halo, Half Life 2, Doom 3 (huh?!? where'd that came from..) would've been accepted if the reviews had been based on just short snippets like Halo's repetitive levels or Half Life 2's zombie town level.

Besides, it's basically just the Joystiq "review" that's as negative as it is, others are more optimistic.

Ben-Nice said:
A few new pics. Wish it had more color but they did that on purpose. I must say there is almost no jaggies though
I'm pretty sure these are promo shots. The AA going on here is far too good.

Shifty Geezer said:
I'm pretty sure these are promo shots. The AA going on here is far too good.

Not betting on that. Look what these guys could do on the PS2, and they're already digging into the PS3 deep, from what I gathered from one of their interviews where they said they had ambitious goals about their first title already pushing the PS3 for a fair bit, and that they were progressing nicely.

It looks to me like well over 4x supersampling. Look at the third pic linked to, outside battle scene. The house, top right just beyond the busted roof. You've an angle of about 10 degrees, and no aliasing at all. Then look at the ammo box bottom-left with the light strip. That's across a horizontal line, but there's not the slightest break. This is in the realm of 16x Supersampling IMO. 1080p with 2xMSAA downsampled to 720p won't give this quality. 720p @ 4xMSAA won't give this quality. The AA is on the textures too. Everything's in uber-high image quality. It's as good as a promo shot with artificial AA that are used all over the place, the sortt of IQ you get on current-gen screenies and then you get to play the real game and get jaggies and shimmer all over the shop. If they're achieving that in realtime I'll be utterly gobsmacked. I don't think that hardware is that capable. They'd have to have invented a new magical AA method I think!

rabidrabbit said:
Reviews?!?!?! Is the game out already, did they launch the PS3 ahead of time!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?????????

And even at that, the impressions I've seen have in fact been roundly positive anyway. Yes, this may be quite generic stylistically, but it seems it's very enjoyable also, apparently. I think given the promise shown at E3, this far from launch, it's one to keep an eye on.

rounin said:
Not to mention this looks much better than COD2 from what I can see.
Not to mention cod2 only has one type of enemy, this game will have many different enemies ranging from small spiders to huge building sized ones. :D

Also the weapons...

We could go on and on about the differences. honestly the only thing I see that is similar to COD2 is that they are both based in a similar timeline. (and actually if you think about it, thats even really a similarity as resistence is based on a timeline that never happened)

I guess if swat4 looks like rainbow 6, it means they are the same game also right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they would show that huge spider in 1 of the gameplay vids. Some more background info would be nice too.

Shifty Geezer said:
If they're achieving that in realtime I'll be utterly gobsmacked. I don't think that hardware is that capable. They'd have to have invented a new magical AA method I think!

Well, you could certainly be right, either way. But have you checked out all the stuff they managed to pull off on the PS2 in Ratchett & Clank? They used a lot of very clever tricks in there too. Even just simple things like the textures, for instance, already being aliased around the edges, very simple idea but very effective none-theless.

Arwin said:
Well, you could certainly be right, either way. But have you checked out all the stuff they managed to pull off on the PS2 in Ratchett & Clank? They used a lot of very clever tricks in there too. Even just simple things like the textures, for instance, already being aliased around the edges, very simple idea but very effective none-theless.
I checked out Insomniac after your post. Apart from Spyro I haven't seen any of their games first hand :)oops: ). I checked some IGN screenies and they were uber-antialiased too. Were these promo shots? Or have Insomniac got Voodoo-AA techniques? Anyone care to comment on Ratchet and Clank IQ in game and how it compares to this IGN pic?

ratchet-and-clank-up-your-arsenal-20041028030604580.jpg

Is it really that good? If not I expect promo shots from Resistance too. If so, I'm gobsmacked ;)

From the shots I think taken on the E3 demo floor, theres some aliasing sometimes. I haven't checked them all but heres one

resistance-fall-of-man-20060523095908616.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifty Geezer said:
I checked out Insomniac after your post. Apart from Spyro I haven't seen any of their games first hand :)oops: ). I checked some IGN screenies and they were uber-antialiased too. Were these promo shots? Or have Insomniac got Voodoo-AA techniques? Anyone care to comment on Ratchet and Clank IQ in game and how it compares to this IGN pic?

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/a...d-clank-up-your-arsenal-20041028030604580.jpg

Is it really that good? If not I expect promo shots from Resistance too. If so, I'm gobsmacked ;)

Its not as crisp as that pic but it still looks as impressive if not more when you wacth it in motion. Its running at 60fps with HUGE view distances and tons of moving things on screen at the same time. Great lighting effects as well.

I have faith in Insomniac that Resistance will be a great game. I expect it to be better than COD2 which wasnt a unique FPS either but none complained.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/ratchetclankiii/review.html <- where you can see the video review.

Something which isn't well known is that you can in fact play it in 480p on the PS2, which is probably why your screenshot looks so good.

Note that even the second Ratchet & Clank game supported that. Interesting info also is some developers' comment on that second game I found. Note that the referenced Jak & Daxter is also one of the best looking games on the PS2 ever, and also supports Progressive.

You used part of Naughty Dog's Jak and Daxter engine for the original and now you both seem to be expanding on it independently...
Yeah, the way that worked was that Jason (Rubin) called me after Jak was done and asked if we were interested in looking at their technology for the background renderer, and I said, "You'd better believe it". We took their code, checked it out, actually used some of it and modified it for Ratchet & Clank. But that was only for the background renderers; we have probably 10 renderers that run this game - for characters, particles, skies and so on - but the background renderer is probably the most important part, because that enables us to draw these huge environments. So we took the technology, improved on it and we gave it back to Naughty Dog along with our inclusion system, which is a system that we have for not drawing things that aren't being seen, and they're using that in their new game. So there's this back and forth flow of technology, though I think we were the core beneficiaries of the agreement.

http://www.nz.playstation.com/news/...l;jsessionid=1EM2MPLUAAYZ3S3YIXZCFE4LXBC5GIV0

I don't want to be a nuisance, but would someone direct me to the video where it was demonstrated you can't break the bulbs if you shoot at them.
I've watched the 720p official trailer and the Sony E3 conference video, and just cant't see it in either of them and I've watched them a few times in a row.

The gameplay should not be judged by these videos though. If you notice, in the E3 conference the guy is playing it very straight forward style. I think he even has some "god mode" on where he can't die. It's ok for demonstration purposes to go forward in the game fast, but when you play at your home without cheats, I think the game will have a very different pacing.

Back