Resistance: Fall of Man gameplay impressions

Titanio

Legend
This game needs more love - it's looking a lot better since last year, and it's getting some quality feedback from IGN and Gamespot.

resistance1kq.jpg

resistance24kl.jpg

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/706/706054p1.html

Once I grabbed the controller, the first thing that sprung to mind was "Man, this game looks pretty damn good..." and it does. Leveled buildings and debris were everywhere, as were a number of independently-functioning soldiers on both sides of the war while intense firefights took place simultaneously. The framerate was pretty smooth too, with only the occasional hitch in animation occurring because of the earliness of the build.

Perhaps the most impressive portion of the entire demo, however, was the multiplayer exhibition. Running 32 players at once, the networked segment was a lot smoother than expected with as many users as it had going (most of which were located back in Foster City where the testers are) and there were only a couple instances of lag.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/news.html?sid=6149622

There are a handful of weapons and multiple grenade types in the game. Each gun has a primary and an alternate fire. There's a shotgun that can fire one or two barrels. The auger has a standard shot for a primary shot. The alternate fire for that will burrow through walls and other objects. It's similar to, say, the X-ray gun from Perfect Dark, but the key difference is that the shot slows down while it digs through objects, then speeds up again when it gets out. Another weapon is a standard machine gun, but the alternate fire is a tagging shot that fits into a "tagging and trapping" system. You can tag an object with a tagging shot, then fire regular bullets at the tag. The bullets will start swarming around the tag. When you point at an enemy and fire, the swarm will shoot over and pump the enemy full of swarming hot lead. As far as grenades go, you've got a basic grenade as well as the hedgehog, which is a spiked ball that explodes and sends spiky shrapnel everywhere.

It is also said that the game should be rendering at 1080p by its release - yes kids, proper 1080p ;)

The IGN and Gamespot vids are both worth a look as they feature different content, but note that IGN's capture is quite poor quality.

The first thing that jumps to mind for me loking at the pics is 'flat ground textures and looks like no AF.' These seem the bane of next-gen shooters...

Agreed. I just can't get excited about FPSs. The smoke effects looked quite good in motion, though.

Anyway, what's with the trend of releasing screenshots at "450p" (width 800)?

I'm interested in the huge "bosses" that we saw a glimpse of at last e3. Huge enemies should be interesting in a FPS. 32-person mp and co-op, definately nice. :)

1up's impressions - they like!

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3150553

Throughout the game there are also moments where you'll be able to help or save your fellow soldiers, which in turn will help you by making getting through an area easier. For example, in one sequence one of the creepy small alien creatures (think Facehugger from Aliens) climbed on top of one of the soldiers -- if you can shoot it off of him before it attacks he'll be saved. Price, however, chose not to, allowing the soldier to be brutally impaled.

Also cool will be the multiplayer. According to Price, 32 people will be able to play online together. What we dislike: As of right now, not much. The only concern is that, with so many unique weapons, can Insomniac keep things balanced?

Also, fact sheet on the game:

OVERVIEW

Developed by Insomniac Games, creators of the critically acclaimed Ratchet & Clank franchise, Resistance: Fall Of Man™ is a gripping first-person action game developed exclusively for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. Set in a frightening, alternate 20th century reality, Resistance: Fall Of Man capitalizes on PlayStation 3’s superior processing power to deliver a thoroughly believable world that blends epic military action and unnerving horror. Utilizing its signature creative style, Insomniac Games has created a truly next-generation experience featuring smarter enemies, a wide variety of horrifying creatures, physics-based weaponry, playable vehicles and highly detailed, diverse environments. Players will be challenged online and offline as Resistance: Fall of Man delivers an engaging single player campaign, a co-operative mode and one of the most complete multiplayer offerings in a console game.

STORYLINE

In Resistance: Fall of Man, the U.S. and Britain band together in a last-ditch effort to save Europe and Asia from a horrific scourge. In mere decades, the Chimera – a species of unknown origin propagating a virus that converts other life forms into more Chimera – has overrun Russia and all of Europe. Humanity’s hope for survival is slim, and the tide of the battle rests on the shoulders of U.S. Army Ranger, Sgt. Nathan Hale.

KEY FEATURES
• Resistance: Fall of Man draws players into a deep, frightening story that rewrites the 20th century and pits the United States and Britain against a horrific species of unknown origin.
• In addition to an epic single player campaign, Resistance: Fall of Man features co-op, split screen multiplayer and highly customizable online gameplay.
• PlayStation 3’s superior power enables Resistance: Fall of Man to feature a wide variety of fluidly moving characters that exhibit more sophisticated behaviors and interact with their environments more realistically.
• Greater processing power on PlayStation 3 and Blu-ray technology enables more immersive visual and sound effects in Resistance: Fall of Man, heightening the chaos of large-scale warfare.
• A powerful rendering engine allows Resistance: Fall of Man to feature a greater variety of highly detailed and interactive environments for a console FPS experience, including large battlefields and sprawling military command centers.
• Insomniac Games has combined its passion for creating exotic weapons and vehicles with a proprietary physics system to create a unique human and alien arsenal.

MARKETING SUPPORT

Sony Computer Entertainment America will support Resistance: Fall of Man with a blockbuster multimillion dollar marketing campaign. This will include aggressive national television, print, online and viral advertising campaigns, full promotional support, dedicated point-of-purchase displays and merchandising support, broad-based public relations support, an immersive and interactive website and feature coverage in the Official PlayStation Magazine/Underground DVD.

Sweet, seems like the playables are getting good reviews so far. 32 players online for this and Warhawk are a nice bonus.

I'm curious as to how interactive the enviroments are going to be and exactly how will the playable vehicles fit into the structure of the game. Halo like?

Dont know I thought it looked very good. Environment is a bit static though. Sounds like the in-hand preview is rather positive.

If they can reproduce the chaos in combat and have cool enemies and weapons, I am willing to give it a try. The alternative is to buy an Xbox 360 and Halo 3 (I'm already indifferent to the Flood and Covenants though).

msia2k75 said:
Environment is a bit static though.
On the contrary!
The gameplay vids took my breathe away. I've never seen such action in a FPS. I was never a fan of FPS they give me nausea if I play them more than 10 mins, but the amount of things going on in this world is friggin mindblowing. You can't seem to keep track of everything thats going on because there are just so much smokes, explosions, rocket trails, screams, walls crumblings,helicopters and aliens all over the battlefield.

patsu said:
If they can reproduce the chaos in combat and have cool enemies and weapons, I am willing to give it a try. The alternative is to buy an Xbox 360 and Halo 3 (I'm already indifferent to the Flood and Covenants though).
It looks nice. Just not the unique different FPS that will set new standards in the genre

Nice physics in some areas. They should do something with the smoke and explosions though. They are very fake.

Sewer level? Check
. . .with crates? Check

Maybe this game will turn out alright, but they already used the two biggest cliches in the book.

Back