Resistance: Fall of Man gameplay impressions

aselto said:
Well, Resistance looks kinda boring and generic, so it's better to talk about the best shooter ever once again ;)

Well Resistance doesn't sound generic to me since they will be implementing hero moments. Insomniac is known for their creativity in weapons and driveable vehicles which we will see in Resistance.

Nice interview:
http://nakedbob.dreamhosters.com/gamehelperblog/?p=178#more-178
TP: Good! We have much larger characters, too; building-sized creatures. With the Chimera, we’ve kept things very varied in the game. You’re not just going through a World War II shooter where you’re going up against the same types of foes all the time, they use different tactics and different attacks.
sounding good. :)

*thx to 8_Bit @psinext

V: So who is the main character?

TP: The main character is a U.S. Ranger named Nathan Hale, and you might appreciate that because he’s a descendent of the Nathan Hale from the Revolutionary War who was a patriot for the United States but a traitor for Britain. So, it’s kind of ironic that he’s helping out by going to England. But, he’s kind of unique because he’s one of the few survivors of the US’s initial foray into England. The US is hoping to to save the day, but they get slaughtered in the process.
I think I just vomited a little into my mouth.

The setting was a fun twist. But then to ruin it all by having you play as a Ranger?

Why couldn't you play as a bloody brit?

"poor England couldn't defend itself, so an American had to do it for them".

My interest in the game just went from low to nonexistant.

Last edited by a moderator:
predicate said:
Why couldn't you play as a bloody brit?
To input some irony? I dunno, you kinda sound like some of those guys who opposed GTA San Andreas because the main character was black.

Hey, maybe this line will cheer ya up?
The US is hoping to to save the day, but they get slaughtered in the process.

:/

omg with the light bulbs... :p
To many, a Playstation has been the only gaming platform, and a good, solid quality FPS even without fully destructible lights can be very well received.
That really made me laugh. Thank you.

Anywho.

Looks nice. Nothing spectacular, but honestly when I've watched the video posted here and I'm honestly not sold. I can't help feeling that what they show are 'highlights' and they are basing the experience on gimmik or shock moments (battle chaos, etc). While these work if done right, they don't work for everyone. They generally don't work for me.

don't shoot the messenger but:

to quote joystiq's impressions:

We asked a Resistance developer what made his game unique. He stared at us blankly for a moment, fumbling for an answer, and then he told us that we would have to figure that out for ourselves. Not a good sign.

What we figured out were a number of winding hallways, stretching through an abandoned medical facility. Every few feet alien creatures would appear. Sometimes they attacked, and sometimes they just stood around. Either way, we filled them with hot lead and continued on. Rinse. And repeat.

Doesn't fill me with confidence.. :( which isn't good.

At the end of the day I hope it's an awesome game. It'd be a great shame if it doesn't meet it's potential. So I plan to expect the worst, that way I may hopfully get a pleasant surprise (well, thats when I can afford the ps3 :p )

well thats like asking the same question at a job solicitation.

what makes you unique so we have to hire you?

'well eeeh, i'm smart and i do good things :D " .....

thats a difficult thing to answer ,and if you are a not so good communication skilled person you cant twist that question into a good reply

whats unique in gods of war? whats unique in pgr3 ? whats unique in battlefield 2 ?

Graham said:
Isn't that what all FPS's are though? That's how they seem to me. Like Racers, there's not much variety. Unique features can probably be summed up as
  • more online gamers than any previous FPS
  • 42,000 different competitive online modes, including Capture the Flag, Capture the Flags, Relinquish the Flags, Capture the Frogs, Shoot the Frogs, and our personal favourite Capture the Flag-Shooting Frogs
  • lots of vehicles, including tanks, buggies, walkers, bikes, aircraft, umm, these have all be done before and aren't unique? Well we're adding as vehicles, um, dinosaurs, hovercraft, um, flag wielding frogs?
  • Incredible AI. The most amazing AI ever in a game. Our bots are so smart they'll sit down in the corridors and do calculus in their heads! Okay, apart from a bit of ducking behind cover and strafing, they play like most other FPS bots, but really, they danged smart.
  • 33,000 different weapons, anything in the game can be used to attack the enemy, from pots and pans to twin pistols and gauss cannons to missile launchers and a shoulder mounted Stellar Converter (see Master of Orion 2 for explanation ;))
I think the only unique FPS at the moment is a fantasy one, Project Offset and I think there's another. But I'm really not sure. They're all much of a like. Most games are. Unqiueness is very hard to come by, without being stupid like reincarnated Hitlers on the sun, and most ideas are just progressions. The main point is in the execution. There's often problems and glitches in games, weaknesses in the balancing, and if you get that right, regardless how derivative the game might be, you've got a fanatastic game on your hands.

Well, these are the Ratchett & Clank guys, and I'm certain we'll get unique and new weapons (tag gun is one that was currently visible). If you think they've all been done before, think again. These guys are nuts. I loved the magno-boots that allowed you to walk on walls in Ratchett online. And then of course they mention the hero moments, probably the most unique thing about which is that those you save will then follow you around and help you. If I got that right anyway.

Apart from that, I think game balance is what these guys are really good at, and the physics in this game look to impress also.

Though had they made a new Ratchett with massive multiplayer options, I think that could have been more fun. But I think they'll do that anyway, and wanted to do their own FPS inbetween for some diversion, probably because they like the genre and had piles of ideas lying about from the last time they did one and from playing other games.

With regards of the lighting, we'll see - I don't think they've put a lot of lighting code into the engine yet at all, probably more focussed on the other stuff like physics. That said it looks quite good already anyway.

Graham said:
to quote joystiq's impressions:

At the end of the day I hope it's an awesome game. It'd be a great shame if it doesn't meet it's potential. So I plan to expect the worst, that way I may hopfully get a pleasant surprise (well, thats when I can afford the ps3 :p )
That's what I've heard; it's the most average FPS you can possibly imagine.

predicate said:
That's what I've heard; it's the most average FPS you can possibly imagine.
From the gameplay videos, it looks like boring. Just stick the fire button down and keep moving around.

It does look nice though.

I think this game will do well simply because it's being made by the makers of Ratchet & Clank. Insomniac always had been solid with their games. If it wasn't made by that team then I probably would never been interested in this game.

Thread Split

Alstrong said:
I think a thread split would be good - some decent long posts here.
Good idea, indeed.

The discussion about the gameplay differences between Halo 1 and 2 can be found in here.

Now, let's get back to that indestructible bulb talk. :p

looks damn spiffy! (maybe besides that ground texture in the 3rd shot, but it can be forgiven)
60fps seems to be pretty impressive to me for this game, seems like it has alot going on, especially in the outdoor areas.

I want to see more of those enemies they keep talking about, the ones that are as big as buildings. :D

edit:
heres the link to the other images..
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748483/imgs_1.html

Vysez said:
Now, let's get back to that indestructible bulb talk. :p

Yes, I know it's oh so funny considering after all my bulb objections, we've gotten a number of reviews that say this game is nothing special at all.

Was I ever saying that shooting out bulbs was a key factor for a game? No.

What I was trying to say was that the focus of the game was aimed incorrectly and little subtle things like blowing out a bulb make a huge difference in the overall acceptance and importance of a game.

Before my enitre 'Bulb tirade' if you wish to classify it as such, this game was thought of by people (read the thread) as a "AAA Title". Following my 'bulb tirade' it now appears that this game is nothing more than a generic FPS that is a HL rip-off.

I maintain that a large part of that is directly due to the fact that the game developers failed to realize the importance of immergence and realism and focused instead on graphics and a tried and true formula, so all they have presented us with is the same thing we've seen for the past 5 years (at least).

Instead of focusing their energy on making a light source movable by player interaction, they should have focused their energy on the AI response to player interaction destroying an otherwise static light source.

I really don't see what about that concept is so difficult for people to grasp.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Before my enitre 'Bulb tirade' if you wish to classify it as such, this game was thought of by people (read the thread) as a "AAA Title". Following my 'bulb tirade' it now appears that this game is nothing more than a generic FPS that is a HL rip-off.

No, I think people who thought it will be AAA still do so, and the people who see it as nothing special also maintain that point of view, "Bulb Tirade" notwithstanding ;)

Anyways, it's far to early to be judging this game for innovation, we have no clue about alot of things.

Well if anyone was wondering why they chose such a blah color scheme, not that I agree with it

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/05/11/e32006_first_impressions_resistance_fallofman/

One of the key visual cues that history went a different direction is the jump jet, with tilting rotors whose concept was borrowed from a modern Harrier, but whose execution looks more like a late '40s transport plane. Another clue is the town of Manchester itself, which looks wasted without the aid of disgruntled soccer fans. The scenery is mostly washed out and desaturated - for a moment, you might wonder why color was supposed to be a key feature of the PS3. As Michael Stout, one of Resistance's lead designers, explains, "One of the artistic decisions we made early on in the project was to go for a very stylized look. We're looking to convey that 1950s retro, very desaturated , and we're trying to use color in localized to convey emotion."

Resistance is indeed a game that plays with time, so that red police box might have you wondering for a moment.
There are cinematic cues in this game, including the obvious resemblance to Saving Private Ryan. Another Spielberg-like cue is the use of very saturated color in select spots. This was done, Stout told us, to help the game convey emotion. For instance, there in the midst of the bleak wasteland is a bright red police box. For another brief moment (you start counting the brief moments while you're playing this game), you start to think time may have been invaded by a lord from a different genre altogether; but no, the police box is simply meant to set the scene a little off-key, like a well-played, yet sad note.

"Right now, it's a telephone booth," Stout conceded, "but in the end, you'll be able to knock it over, roll it around, use it as cover, that sort of stuff.

Of all ten games Sony demonstrated yesterday for November's PS3 platform, Resistance was most obviously the closest to completion, both in terms of concept and execution. Spectators were drawn immediately to its bleak landscape with selective use of color; and they also, we noticed, spent the most time sampling Resistance, not turning away as quickly as for other titles.

As development of the game progresses, Stout said, not only more subtleties will be added, but also objects that respond to physics, for which interaction is meaningful. The police box, as we mentioned, becomes an efficient mobile blockade; but in future renditions, there will also be smoke, dust, excessive wind, and a less crystal-clear view of the desolation that only scorpion creatures can leave behind. "I think by the time this game ships," Stout promised, "you're going to see another layer of polish on this that will just make it gorgeous

ihamoitc2005 said:
Thank you for this picture my friend, it is very amazing for 60fps 720P.
just read on GAF that a guy who was at E3 said the producer told him solid 30fps single player 60fps multiplayer (which typically would be a slightly less graphical presentation) but I'll take the 60fps for multiplayer as that is more important to me anyway. :p :D

Back