Resident Evil 4 getting remade. Yeah, or nah!?

Roger Cobb

Regular
Personally, I can give a big "screw you" to RE4 for shamelessly wrecking the original storyline. Basically in my book, anything prior to 4 was what made up the original plot.

I do not trust Capcom to remake it faithfully. Well, that's because they really messed up the RE3 remake, and in my view, even the RE2 remake was nowhere as chilling as the original. And I know many fans will not agree, because the original is on a pedestal. But Capcom left out a massive percentage of the OG's fillings.

RE4 practically has nothing to do with the other games, besides having three returning characters and a few (arguably forced in) references. Although the (then) main villain Albert Wesker appears mostly in the extra content. But I cannot even recall if he was in the main campaign with Leon. However, I don't think he was. But I meant the general feel of the game. It doesn't match the games from the initial PlayStation era whatsoever. It's a shoot 'em up with creepy things in it, and some Hollywood jive.

Anyway, I don't think RE4 in general is a bad game. No, it's actually a lot of fun. However, you have to keep in mind that the controls suck in this game by 2021 standards, and I hate the remastered versions, as the controls suck even worse. You also cannot enable closed captions, as while it seems like the option is present, it's not. The HD upscaling is impressive, though.

I just think that RE4 is somewhat overrated as a survival horror title, because it's mostly an action game with a bizarre science fiction tone. Leon also doesn't act the same as he did in 2 at all.

If this had been a game not linked to the other RE games, then yes. Maybe I'd agree that it deserves the praise it gets. But in my opinion, RE4, 5, etc, are why RE eventually ended up sucking. The story in the older games, coupled with the atmosphere, was why I paid attention to the series over 20 years ago...

Nowadays, I think Capcom milks the entire franchise in an awful way with movies, terrible spin off games, bland remakes, and the main games leave a lot to be desired.

In my view, RE8 was a very dumb game, with a throwaway plot. I really thought the villains were lame. Not only that, but the game pretty much repeats everything that 4 did better. It has a factory, a lake, a castle, a merchant, and a village. But at heart, the primary protagonist isn't as interesting because we don't see his face. We hear him speaking, sure. That's just not the same.

I'm not expecting every enemy, location, item and Leon joke to even make it into this upcoming disaster in the making. I'd imagine so many supporters will someday walk away feeling cheated. :D

Yea Resi2 remake was a great game but I wish it was more faithful to the original. And I wish they retained better the atmosphere too.
Resi4 being remade? Meh, it lacked in atmosphere and I hope Leon is as vulnerable as he was in 2

To be honest, Resident Evil 4 was my de facto introduction to the series... and it might be due to it being more of an action game than a horror game.

Then I couldn't play Res5 because I just couldn't handle the inability to sidestep or shoot while moving. I felt like I was fighting the game's mechanics instead of fighting zombies, which I found to be extremely off-putting.
Resident Evil 6 I actually played it through the end cooped with a friend. I thought it was a nice action coop silly game to be honest, but there obviously there was zero element of horror in that game and it should have been a spin-off title instead of a numbered one.
I finished Res7 recently and now I'll probably play Res8 within the next few months.

That said, I'm not sure I'd be willing to play a Res4 remake right now, with what would probably be a 8th-gen graphics. It was the first 7th-gen Resident Evil, right? I think they should wait another couple of years when 9th-gen engines/tools are mature and make something that looks and feels decidedly better than Resident Evil 7 (something Res8 was not, IMO).

Resi 6 was a shitshow which destroyed everything the series build all these years (character personalities, story, zombies, the nature of the virus etc) and its a shame that it is considered cannon. You cant get rid of the crazy shit they came up with in a major sequel. I am pretty sure thats why Capcom abandoned a 100% related sequel. You cant undone and fix what 6 left.
Transformer dinosaur-human zombie that shoots things? A clone that transforms into a huge talking goo that takes over a ship? Bio chainsaws?
And the gameplay......aaaaaaah it was broken

I loved 7's atmosphere. I got adicted to it. It was amazing.That went a bit crazy too but it had an awesome execution. It knew where to stop.

I'm for a remake of RE4 in the same vein as the RE2 remake but I would rather they not do that this generation. They keep remastering the game, which makes the need for a remake seem less important.

I agree that the control in RE4 have not aged well but disagree that the control in the REmake are worse. I'm happy with the changes and have a hard time going back to the RE4 controls. RE4 is a game that needs more than just the simple Demon Souls like redo, it needs more changes to bring it up to date.

While there is a lot of money to be made by going back to the PS1,PS2/OG XBOX/GC generation and remaking those games, RE4 does not need that. It doesn't need it as it has been released on almost every home console come out since the Gamecube and still looks ok on the PS5/Xbox Series. Capcom needs to give RE4 a rest and REmake:Code Veronica and then do a real remake of RE4 on the PS6/Xbox ???. Just to be clear when I say "remake" I'm talking about either a Demon Souls (2020) quality or a Resident Evil 2 remake quality remake, not bull crap HD remasters.

P.S. My tone concerning remasters might change if devs started coming out with RT remasters of old games. As long as they focus on GI and RT shadows and not RT reflections.

Resi 6 was a shitshow which destroyed everything the series build all these years (character personalities, story, zombies, the nature of the virus etc) and its a shame that it is considered cannon. You cant get rid of the crazy shit they came up with in a major sequel. I am pretty sure thats why Capcom abandoned a 100% related sequel. You cant undone and fix what 6 left.
Transformer dinosaur-human zombie that shoots things? A clone that transforms into a huge talking goo that takes over a ship? Bio chainsaws?
And the gameplay......aaaaaaah it was broken

I loved 7's atmosphere. I got adicted to it. It was amazing.That went a bit crazy too but it had an awesome execution. It knew where to stop.

RE6 was really weird now that I think about it. But I’m not an expert on RE canon so I enjoyed it for what it was. I’ve only ever played RE 5 and 6 so really looking forward to playing all of the remakes.

RE6 was really weird now that I think about it. But I’m not an expert on RE canon so I enjoyed it for what it was. I’ve only ever played RE 5 and 6 so really looking forward to playing all of the remakes.
You have no idea what you missed. I pressume you are considerably young. The older games especially 1 and 2 were the best in theirctime. The atmosphere, sense of horror and mystery were unmatched. This was never captured by 4 and onwards. What made resident evil popular was gone.

You have no idea what you missed. I pressume you are considerably young. The older games especially 1 and 2 were the best in theirctime. The atmosphere, sense of horror and mystery were unmatched. This was never captured by 4 and onwards. What made resident evil popular was gone.

Lol no I’m far from young. Just never played the old games.

I hate these unrealistic, newer horror games, where after you kill villagers, beasts, creatures, or whatever, they scatter bullets, herbs, money and gold. People say this is not featured in the old games because of "hardware limitations" of the time, or something to that effect. But I hate it. It's rather silly. About as silly as some fatso setting up his eBay shop in the middle of freaking, God only knows where. That's just not survival horror how I remember it.

I mean, couldn't you just put the guy out of his misery right there and then, and take everything you can carry? Why even play nice and respectfully trade with this stranger? It's survival of the fittest. Right? But yeah. It's a video game. So it's not supposed to be coming across as any more logical than what Saddler calls, "your Hollywood movies". :D

But honestly. Everything RE stood for, has become total pish by this point in time. I honestly think Bethesda do better horror games than Capcom, but everyone out there doesn't really support them at all. It's weird to me. They actually have content, after all.

RE8 is so linear and once you finish it, you don't care to play through it again.

There's supposed to be DLC in the works for RE8. If they end up taking 9 months to release it, as was the case with RE7, it will already be an outdated game. :p

I might be in the minority here, but everything after the first game is off the rails to me. It feels like an unintentionally campy indie horror movie. The bad voice acting and live FMV scenes help with that a lot. Everything after the original feels like something made in Hollywood trying to emulate that indie genre film that was popular last year.

Back