Resistance 2

Ok I recently bought this game and I have not played the first one. It started a bit slow and boring. But it is getting really good now. Graphics are so clean and good except for things transparant effects that are low resolution. One thing that annoys me is that the guys who talk to me talk with radio voice even when he is next to me, and there is no radio visible. Why people dislike this game?

Now going to hunt for Resistance non platinum.

Why people dislike this game?

I like the game, although I liked the first one a whole lot better. In fact, I got addicted to RFOM, the first game.

Some complains about R2 were:
* Inconsistent graphics according to the sharp-eyed gamers
* SP gameplay (specifically the boss fights, and its almost complete departure from RFOM)
* Initial MP bugs

The last one was fixed, so you don't see 'em anymore.

It's still a good game with impressive scope.

The co-op is totally unique and refreshing, especially when you're outnumbered (Don't go in with a full 8P team, and see what I mean :devilish:). The competitive modes are very responsive and engaging, the party system is unmatched.

The SP disappointed the hardcore fans; touched them on the wrong nerve. :no:

The lack of a weapon wheel was a mistake in R2. One of the neat things about the Resistance franchise is the variety in weapons and in R1 you could choose any weapon at any point once you found them. In R2 you where always limited to two at a time.

The lack of a weapon wheel was a mistake in R2. One of the neat things about the Resistance franchise is the variety in weapons and in R1 you could choose any weapon at any point once you found them. In R2 you where always limited to two at a time.

To be honest, I really cannot understand your argument here!

Your critique fits to like 90% shooters out there! HALO, MW, KZ, BF, ... all of these games don't have a weapon wheel - and are mostly limited to 2-3 weapons!

The only exception I recall at the moment is UT3, which features your weapon wheel!

So do you only like R1 and UT3?

Your critique fits to like 90% shooters out there! HALO, MW, KZ, BF, ... all of these games don't have a weapon wheel - and are mostly limited to 2-3 weapons!
Right, and RFOM departed from that to give an Insomniac take on the shooter, and then they backtracked to make a generic shooter. I played RFOM split-screen coop and enjoyed it.

Personally I found the visuals weak, especailly in comparison to the competition, the single player gameplay 'okay', and the multiplayer (coop at least) a ghastly mess. Just standing there shooting as someone else healed you...there were no tactics or, anything! Dullest experience I've had in a computer game for ages. Next to what everyone else was doing, R2 was a rather bland shooter.

Right, and RFOM departed from that to give an Insomniac take on the shooter, and then they backtracked to make a generic shooter. I played RFOM split-screen coop and enjoyed it.

Personally I found the visuals weak, especailly in comparison to the competition, the single player gameplay 'okay', and the multiplayer (coop at least) a ghastly mess. Just standing there shooting as someone else healed you...there were no tactics or, anything! Dullest experience I've had in a computer game for ages. Next to what everyone else was doing, R2 was a rather bland shooter.

I liked the weapon wheel as well (I still like it in R&C games)!!
I am also one of those hoping for a comeback in R3 !!
But over at neogaf, an Insomniac stated that one of the reasons is that it is easier for gamedesign if you have dual weapon system:
If you will face a boss around the next corner, just place a grenade launcher.
If you have this weapon wheel, it is much more difficult to maintain the balance and the difficulty of the game. I am not 100% sure but I recall that R1 was sometimes a rather challenging game (which, BTW, contributes to the fun I had with it)!

With respect to your impressions on R2 coop mode: I don't agree with you here. I had ultimate fun playing it and leveling up!! And I played it with my buddy over at the US (zero lag!!!) - the gameplay is kind of similar to Left for Dead gameplay if you ask me, which I like as well (although I like the leveling aspect in R2 better)! And it can be quite challenging and you definitively need co-work to finish some of the maps...

I think how much you like R2 co-op depends on how much you like power grinding (which is very different from grinding). I really liked it!

I liked the weapon wheel as well (I still like it in R&C games)!!
I am also one of those hoping for a comeback in R3 !!
But over at neogaf, an Insomniac stated that one of the reasons is that it is easier for gamedesign if you have dual weapon system:
If you have this weapon wheel, it is much more difficult to maintain the balance and the difficulty of the game. I am not 100% sure but I recall that R1 was sometimes a rather challenging game (which, BTW, contributes to the fun I had with it)!

But even R1 would place certain types of ammo on your path as a hint that you should use in your next encounter. The great thing about R1 was that you didn't have to use it, and there are probably even better weapon strategies you can use. R2 relies more heavily on giving you the right weapon for the job, to point where you could pretty much predict what the next encounter will be. But that was also partly because R2 doesn't have as much different types of enemies, and a smaller selection of less versatile guns compared to R1.

Personally hoping we'll get some kind of superhuman powers in addition to the weaponwheel in R3. R2 hinted at the Cloven having incredible superhuman powers.

A really silly part about the weapons in Resistance 2 is where you are given the laser cannon thing before the Kraken boss fight. It's has infinite ammo, without secondary fire, you are forced to equip it and your other weapons are unavailable. It feels really, really sloppy and forced.

I'm sure there could have been a better way. Perhaps the Kraken could knock your weapons out of your hands during the boss fight introduction, and someone from the helicopter could throw you down the gun and periodically resupply you?

Things in R2 are just really unpolished. The graphics start out nice but look awful in the swamp level. The story and characters are weak and would have been better with the old black and white delivery. Most of the time I enjoyed the gunplay though.

Resistance Retribution reinvigorated my interest in the series and confirmed that the weapon wheel, black and white, and skillpoints need to come back. Perhaps even third person? Insomniac has plenty of experience in third person action.

A really silly part about the weapons in Resistance 2 is where you are given the laser cannon thing before the Kraken boss fight. It's has infinite ammo, without secondary fire, you are forced to equip it and your other weapons are unavailable. It feels really, really sloppy and forced.

I'm sure there could have been a better way. Perhaps the Kraken could knock your weapons out of your hands during the boss fight introduction, and someone from the helicopter could throw you down the gun and periodically resupply you?

Things in R2 are just really unpolished. The graphics start out nice but look awful in the swamp level. The story and characters are weak and would have been better with the old black and white delivery. Most of the time I enjoyed the gunplay though.

Resistance Retribution reinvigorated my interest in the series and confirmed that the weapon wheel, black and white, and skillpoints need to come back. Perhaps even third person? Insomniac has plenty of experience in third person action.

Yeah, third person would be cool!!!
But, unfortunately we have to wait and see what Insomniac give us...sad that they did not show up at E3

I really like the Chicago level. Definitely IMO one of the best graphics I have seen this generation so far. And those chimera zombies look great and animate very well.

Chicago was nice. Probably my favorite level with the zombie swarms and teamwork in the early parts. The platforming and avoiding the water chimera was a nice change of pace. The bridge fight was cool too.

If you have this weapon wheel, it is much more difficult to maintain the balance and the difficulty of the game.

The great thing about R1 was that you didn't have to use it, and there are probably even better weapon strategies you can use. R2 relies more heavily on giving you the right weapon for the job, to point where you could pretty much predict what the next encounter will be.

In my view, this is the most serious flaw in R2. It made part of the game predictable. In RFOM, I would get nervous in the Mall because that level is very narrow. You can get ambushed by all sorts of critter enemies up close. The Resistance enemy mix is great because you have small rolling critters to large towering monsters to annoying skinny ones that jump from walls to ceiling at high speed. I remember one had long limbs that fudge your sense of their strike distance. They may come at you at the same time. With the weapon wheel, you had to switch your weapons like mad if your ammo level is not tuned ^_^ (which makes it very fun). Sometimes, it forces me to run and think simultaneously.

The second thing is the life bar. RFOM has a more lenient health bar. So you can experiment and run back to safety *sometimes* (You need to take risk). Coupled with the above unpredictability, it makes a very simple but "tickling" gameplay (Tickles my mind anyway). The challenging enemy AI also makes the fight very interesting.

R2 SP has other strength. It has bigger scale and even more enemy variety. The boss fights and environment (e.g., water) made the Resistance world more interesting. All they needed is more time to tune and make the experience deeper. I did get some RFOM moments here and there, but they are not paced that well.

In R2, I :love: the co-op AI the most. I like to go in understaffed. But sometimes, if you go in with full 8P team with much higher level teammates, the enemies may behave differently. e.g., We tend to crowd together to take advantage of the soldier's shield. There was one time, the largest monster charged all the way up to our entry point, and scattered the entire troop. I have never seen it do that before. It was funny to hear people scream "RUUNNNN !" and "What the F*CK !" together, out of the over-confident radio silence.

Well, they r saying they'll announce the game in between now and Labour Day weekend. That means a window of a month. Wondr if it will their multiplat game or Resistance 3 !

Also, does anyone know how to download the Insomniac Games PS3 theme from their website. Its supposed to be hidden, but anybody knows where to look atleast. Couldn't find anything there ! Its supposedly a good theme :) !

No R3, but a new R&C instead?

From http://shogungamer.com/news/exclusive-interview-voice-actor-david-kaye-voice-clank-and-nathan-hale

Lastly, what projects can we expect to hear you in next? Will you be reprising any roles in upcoming projects like Nathan Hale from the Resistance franchise?

David Kaye: Don’t know about Nate. There are some interesting developments always coming from Insomniac games. We’re working on more R & C currently. I’ve guest appeared on the new Scooby Doo recently working with Maurice Lemarche and Frank Welker. The Regular Show and Flap Jack are shows I’ve worked on recently and a bit of ‘insider’ news if you will, I’ve just begun working at Warner Brothers Studios and a new and exciting project for the ‘Batman’ VG franchise. Deets coming soon.

Back