Rage (id Software)

well, when they had the on stage presentation at gamescom of the xbox360 version...I was shocked too about how good this game looked!!

so I am really looking forward to this game...the only thing I noticed which seemed a little bit weird...when the enemy got hit by a bullet and dies...it looked like they immediately fall down to the ground, without a cool death animation

that's pretty realistic, it's that we've been used to head shots depicted as a giant punch in the face and other niceties :)

I guess it depends on the gun - 50 cal is 1.27 centimeters, such high diameter ammo was big enough in WWII to shoot down airplanes. So as far as I know at this caliber it doesn't really matter where you hit someone anymore, the shock to the body can be big enough to kill them anyway.

I guess it depends on the gun - 50 cal is 1.27 centimeters, such high diameter ammo was big enough in WWII to shoot down airplanes. So as far as I know at this caliber it doesn't really matter where you hit someone anymore, the shock to the body can be big enough to kill them anyway.

I saw a program on snipers and their weapons, and some Navy Seal marksman said the following about his Barret M8 50 cal (which is primarly designed to destroy vechiles and penetrate buildings) the gun is so powerful that up to 1000metres, you can rip off body parts without actually hitting a person due to the insane speed and size of the bullet.

he claimed that if he would fire his gun 5cm to the right of your head, your head would get ripped of by the force and pressure from the bullet alone. (This gun can destroy engine blocks (solid metal) at 2km).

Not only this, but due to the extreme power of the weapon, there was situations where victims had been thorn in half.

I saw a program on snipers and their weapons, and some Navy Seal marksman said the following about his Barret M8 50 cal (which is primarly designed to destroy vechiles and penetrate buildings) the gun is so powerful that up to 1000metres, you can rip off body parts without actually hitting a person due to the insane speed and size of the bullet.

he claimed that if he would fire his gun 5cm to the right of your head, your head would get ripped of by the force and pressure from the bullet alone. (This gun can destroy engine blocks (solid metal) at 2km).

Not only this, but due to the extreme power of the weapon, there was situations where victims had been thorn in half.

I had a friend that went into the corps marine here in holland and had to see a movies doing the same thing a Barret bullet fly by and ripped off some body parts from taliban soldiers. Always thought he was exaggerating it.:???:

It kind of looks like an open-world Metro 2033. I won't believe it's a steady 60 fps on consoles until I see it though.

OK That trailer has restored my faith in id again and I'm back on the hype train for this game. If the console version actually runs at 1280 x 720 with 60fps then it would definitely be one of the best looking game this gen.

With pre-baked lighting in texture, mmmmm. :(

I'm also sceptical about native resolution, i bet on sub-HD frame buffer.

With pre-baked lighting in texture, mmmmm. :(

I'm also sceptical about native resolution, i bet on sub-HD frame buffer.

Mmm... It seem Carmack bet on 720p native + 60 fps from the begin on the console, how crytek bet on the GI... without that I don't see the reason to waste so much time in this engine imho... multi texture not appears something of so revolutionary o great achievement for my perspective...

And why would you do that? Is there anything to suggest that the game would have problem with native 720p?

Well it's not hard to understand why he's doubting it considering we don't have any other 720p/60fps game that looks that good - hell Rage even looks much better than many games that are running at 30fps and are praised for their visuals and on top of that it runs at double the refresh rate.

Rage will look shockingly good in our HDTV sets if we're getting this visual quality at 720p and a steady 60fps...in Carmack we trust. :D

And why would you do that? Is there anything to suggest that the game would have problem with native 720p?

I think we have to accept some compromises with AA or resolution in a 60hz game built with multiplatform engine suited on this gen console.

I had a friend that went into the corps marine here in holland and had to see a movies doing the same thing a Barret bullet fly by and ripped off some body parts from taliban soldiers. Always thought he was exaggerating it.:???:

Yes, this has been proven that it's not true.

Yes, this has been proven that it's not true.

Thought I remembered seeing something on this, and it was the mythbusters that did a test like that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2009_season)#Sonic_Boom_Sound-off

/on-topic
This game looks really good...

I think we have to accept some compromises with AA or resolution in a 60hz game built with multiplatform engine suited on this gen console.

Or maybe not, knowing that this engine actually does very little beyond drawing textured polygons as all the lighting and shadows are pre-calculated and stored in the megatexture. Characters take up less than 20% of the screen, dynamic lights on the environment are probably just hacks, there's nothing comparable to what most other engines are doing nowadays like deferred rendering, complex shadowing, HDR rendering and so on.

Basically, the game looks good because they've painted everything to look good. It's a facade, a cheat, but a very clever one that's executed well, too. So there's absolutely no reason to doubt native 720p and 60fps so far.

Or maybe not, knowing that this engine actually does very little beyond drawing textured polygons as all the lighting and shadows are pre-calculated and stored in the megatexture. Characters take up less than 20% of the screen, dynamic lights on the environment are probably just hacks, there's nothing comparable to what most other engines are doing nowadays like deferred rendering, complex shadowing, HDR rendering and so on.

Basically, the game looks good because they've painted everything to look good. It's a facade, a cheat, but a very clever one that's executed well, too. So there's absolutely no reason to doubt native 720p and 60fps so far.

thanks that's a nice, simple enough explanation.
I was going to say that their looks are memory-limited, so they can keep it easy on the shading. the consoles still have tremendous shader resources if your shaders are only midly complex. (their past game, doom 3, was a game with the same simple pixel shader applied all over the place, so simple that it's the only one that can run 60fps on a fx 5800)

also all the texture fetch, unpacking etc. is a task separate from rendering so here's easy, task-level multithreading

it reminds me also of quake 1, quake had those lightmaps made from long and complex calculation on every surface. that was new back then. this makes all the game's graphics, and make it look good to this day if you run it at max res with AF and AA:p

that's pretty realistic, it's that we've been used to head shots depicted as a giant punch in the face and other niceties :)

yeah, but who cares for realism in video games?!?!
I want drama, I want emotions...and I want the wilhelm scream every time I kill someone :mrgreen:

Game looks phantastic to me. I like the style, like the mood. I wonder how the open world will turn gameply wise?! Are there any known details?

Back