Quantic Dream's Next Game

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by patsu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. patsu

Legend

Quantic Dream's next project to be
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-07-quantic-dreams-next-project-to-be-unveiled-tonight

2. kagemaru

Veteran

I can't wait to see what they've been up to. I still need to play through Heavy Rain, I've had it for the longest time but haven't had the time.

3. patsu

Legend

Heavy Rain is a very special game for parents. I should try the game on my wife some day. I bet she'd cry. ^_^

Some people hate it for trying to be a movie. Personally, it is one of few games that resonates with the players and bring out their emotion.

I am not sure if the next game can achieve similar effect. It may be a different game like KZ2 vs KZ3.

4. kagemaru

Veteran

Well all of their games have been more focused on the narrative side, so I'm expecting this to continue with their next game.

Heck in many ways Indigo Prophecy and Heavy rain have a lot in common so I wouldn't be surprised if their next game heavily uses QTEs as well. It's odd, I usually don't care for QTEs but they never really bothered me in QD games.

Would be awesome if they made Omikron 2 as well, I've been waiting years for that announcement.:grin:

5. TEEDA

Regular

#5 TEEDA, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
  6. patsu

Legend

Yeah, the QTEs get in the way for some people still. The story also disappointed many because they found holes.

Nonetheless, the team is adept in coercing the user, getting him/her involved subtly, and coming up with scenarios to challenge the player. I think the premise of the game is its most powerful ally.

I don't know if the game will impact me that much if I wasn't married with a kid. I suspect the game may have significantly less impact on my younger, carefree self.

Hope you like it though.

EDIT: As I understand, Indigo Prophecy is very different from Heavy Rain although they do share some mechanics.

7. eloyc

Veteran Regular

8. TEEDA

Regular

Yup was really intense and emotionnal, I also noticed that they kinda fixed the " dead eyes " issue heavy Rain suffered.

Some infos

9. upnorthsox

Veteran

You have to create an account to watch a video? F@## that.

10. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

thinking of Blade runners replicants when I see this... and Id love to see something along those lines :smile:
    Heavy Rain just dint grab me.. at all. It swapped between doing boring chores trying to connect you to your son or something like that and then skipping forward which made me wonder why I even bothered. I felt punsihed for stuff that happened between scenes and I wasnt responsible for and dint know at all.

On the other hand Indigo Prophecy did a good job throwing you in a mess and making you care a great deal about whats happening. Pity the game got very shallow and the plot jumped around too much (oh yay - a sudden love interest with a guy which is cold as ice, ufos, etc).

11. TEEDA

Regular

12. patsu

Legend

I didn't have to register to watch that Eurogamer's link.

Was going to make bad Siri jokes at the beginning. Fantastic material, Mr. Cage. I see where you're going with this. ^_^
    <3 it !

EDIT: No slides ?

13. upnorthsox

Veteran

14. patsu

Legend

GameTrailer has a 2-part interview. The second part has more background about the demo:

[gt]727754[/gt]

The demo was done a year ago huh ?

15. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Really impressive. Hopefully they will reveal their new game at this year's E3.

16. upnorthsox

Veteran

So this isn't the game then? That's too bad, I love the story concept.

The new engine looks awesome, what a difference over The Casting which was pretty darn good when it was first shown.

17. Akumajou

Regular

Well they have to do that because these games are aimed at older gamers.

I admit myself that Heavy Rain may not have been perfect but as far as being a game that did not feel like "oh hey yet another kiddie thing here" that was great.

I sold my copy but quickly bought Heavy Rain the directors cut right away, I had some female friends play the investigation of the taxidermist and their reactions were of very high interest, I mean I guess I'm desensitized being able to play Mortal Kombat (yet that series gets populated by 12 year olds on xbox live makes you wonder) but Heavy Rain at least with the girls I spoke with who are not heavy gamers, they really were able to show interest and not feel offended or bored... kind of like a few of the old Silent Hill games.

I am really looking forward to QD's next game, definetly buying it day one, that "tech demo" has me sold, my expectations are low though, I don't want to imagine this as some game beater when other games will sell higher numbers but at least I know I'm not buying more kid stuff.

18. Sigfried1977

Veteran

I take my kiddie games over terrible stories with uncanny plastic people any day of the week. Heavy Rain was basically Dragon's Lair without the charming animation.

19. upnorthsox

Veteran

I don't know, I thought it was pretty funny/ironic that gametrailers was running that clip from Binary Domain just before the trailer.

20. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Binary Domain actually has a pretty decent story. (just pretend the post credit cut-scene didn't happen) More I Robot than Blade Runner, but for a cover based shooter that's still worthy of praise.