The lack of Next-Gen demos and what to expect from the future

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by lefantome, Jun 11, 2019.

1. milk

Veteran Regular

While I think this is correct and I do agree myself with the sentiment that these demos are not very representative nor illustrate what actual games will be like well enough, they are perfect equivalents to Agni's Phylosophy anf the Samaritan demo presented as examples in the threads opening post. So if the question is "where are these types of demos?" the recent U4 and Unity stuff is prety much the exact answer to it.

Ike Turner likes this.
  2. Sigfried1977

Veteran

I'm sure we'll be wowed somewhat. Just not by an awful lot. Ray-traced GI or shadows or reflections are nice and all, but they are (imo) not the thing that truly seperates today's real time graphics from the pre-rendered stuff. As far as I'm concerned, the biggest differentiators are expensive physics calculations (cloth, hair, water, ...).

3. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

when i saw shenmue's cutscenes on dreacmast = "wow that looks pre rendered"
    when i saw resident evil 5 cutscenes on Xbox360= "wow that looks pre rendered"
    when i saw uncharted 4 cutscenes on PS4= "wow that looks pre rendered"
    whatever they bring next gen, i'm sure to be wowed !

DSoup and orangpelupa like this.
  4. Dictator

Newcomer

Really? I really think the difference of an object actually being lit correctly and self occluding light and bouncing light is that immediate thing that always stands out to me. Like, SSAO and cubemaps really are not enough.

pharma and Shifty Geezer like this.
  5. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Relax, tight deadlines for demos are the norm, it seems ;) Just read this thread

6. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

I was like that. Then I look for "compression artefact" and I can discern which ones are real time and which ones aren't again.

Seriously, even final Fantasy that was one of the pioneer of crazy high quality pre-rendered videos use blocky videos for FFXV.

But they say ff7r gonna cokes in 2 discs... So maybe they finally use high quality videos again

Karamazov likes this.
  7. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Oh, yes.
    AO in it self is horrible, it always needs a directional component to look halfway decent. (Bent cone or similar.)

Dictator likes this.
  8. Svensk Viking

Regular

Old thread but figured this might be best mentioned here. One thing that's greatly annoying me in modern games is that they're still plagued by pop-ins. Even if you have a high end PC that can max Far Cry 5 at 60+ FPS, you still see objects appearing right before your eyes. Rather than just having better graphics in Far Cry 6, reducing/eliminating those bloody pop-ins in FC5 would feel alot more next-gen to me.

lefantome likes this.
  9. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

RDR2 has very minimal popping, even for the foliage, and that's a great achievement.
    but then horse speed is not the same as a car or a plane.

that mission was quite somtething

#29 Karamazov, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    lefantome likes this.
  10. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Need that mesh shader action.