PS3 sales

Yeah, I was going to say --that pretty well nails the "200k for launch" rumor as accurate. Ouch. Unless a miracle occurs with BR diodes, I'd say the shortages could go well into spring, maybe even summer. They'll have to start building up for the Euro launch, so they can't even backfill NA entirely.

The HD-DVD people are probably dancing in the streets too.

Jesus that PS2 is ridiculous...like the energizer bunny.

510k is decent for MS, but not amazing. Anything below 500k would've been a big dissapointment, but given the $400 pricepoint, 500k for Nov is pretty solid.

They'll have to start building up for the Euro launch, so they can't even backfill NA entirely.

I fail to see the reason behind launching with 50-100K PS3s in Europe. Sony should keep Japan and the US happy, and delay the launch... even if it'd place them 1.5-2 years behind the X360, it wouldn't really matter in the long run.

Jesus that PS2 is ridiculous...like the energizer bunny.

I think most PS2s are bought by casual gamers and parents; all they know is that console = Playstation. They also grab a bunch of cheap games at random, which is why top 10 charts are lead by X360 games, and total PS2 software sales $ is low as well. I recall that Tekken Tag Tournament still sells well, for example?

510k is decent for MS, but not amazing. Anything below 500k would've been a big dissapointment, but given the $400 pricepoint, 500k for Nov is pretty solid.

Their 10 million goal is in danger, they won't sell more than 1.5 million in December. Gears is a system seller but it's not popular enough for a miracle, as it seems.

Interesting note: Nintendo reported 600K and NDP measured 476K, exactly 80% of the official data...

Last edited by a moderator:
I fail to see the reason behind launching with 50-100K PS3s in Europe. Sony should keep Japan and the US happy, and delay the launch... even if it'd place them 1.5-2 years behind the X360, it wouldn't really matter in the long run.

I disagree. Europe accounted for a significant portion of PS2 sales, and more importantly mindshare, and PS3 debuting 2 years behind X360 would definetely hurt their foothold there. Figure that by the time PS3 gets established in europe, X720 will nearly be out. Even a year behind is going to hurt Sony. How much is anyone's guess.

I think most PS2s are bought by casual gamers and parents; all they know is that console = Playstation. They also grab a bunch of cheap games at random, which is why top 10 charts are lead by X360 games, and total PS2 software sales $ is low as well. I recall that Tekken Tag Tournament still sells well, for example?
My instinct says that the Nov' sales for the PS2 are driven in large part by Guitar Hero 2 which is drawing in casuals, as you say.

Regardless though, you really have to admire the PS2; those continual sales, in the face of 3 new systems, is more than impressive.

Truthfully I think the diode situation is improving; either way we'll see. I think for mindshare reasons though, it's essential that PS3 launch in Europe in March rather than wait it out. Europe is 'Sony country,' but I think we all understand that's only within reason. Sony has pushed it as far as they can... in March, it's time to launch, whatever the supplies.

I fail to see the reason behind launching with 50-100K PS3s in Europe.

They already had to "take back" a promised launch for Europe once (not even counting the initial moving back of the launch for everyone). Doing it again is something I feel sure they'd go a long way to avoid. Tho if the launch volume they can put together is in the range you're suggesting above (which I'm unwilling to accept just yet), they might have to weigh that option seriously.

PS2, GBA, and NDS are amazing!

360 is pretty good but not great.
What troubles me about the 360's numbers is the report that, er, reported Microsoft saying they were selling 100k units a day around Thanksgiving. The question this raises is: if they were seeing huge sales for a short period of time and still only managed to break 500k, what were the sales like before those few days?

They've only doubled their October sales in a time when doubling and tripling sales is a given, with Gears of War apparently having little-to-no effect of sales.

The other side of the coin is that the Xbox 360 continues to be the most consistent in sales of any console I know, next to the PS2--but even the PS2 saw some wild spikes at times, if I recall.

Looking at the numbers, I wonder how strong the Playstation brand is, and how strong it will become and whether it will be influential in the upcoming generation of consoles. I remember a lot of people were still buying PS1s for a year or so after PS2 launched. I have a feeling the sales of last-gen consoles after next-gen has launched launch directly proportionally contributes to the success of the next-gen.

What's the biggest telling thing and very obvious is that 400 dollars for a console is just too darn much. Average consumer cannot afford a 400 dollar console. That's why Wii, NDS, PS2 is selling like mad. What's going to be interesting is when PS3s become readily available, how will the market respond? Worse than 360 or with the power of the PS brand overcome the price barrier? (as of now we have a few reports from consumers in Japan that PS3s are available albiet harder to find).

It's all about pricing, IMO. I don't expect either the 360 or the PS3 to take off until each is under $300... more like when they are $200.

Their 10 million goal is in danger, they won't sell more than 1.5 million in December.
that goal isn't in danger, it's unreachable , they sold 3,4M in US , cut that number in half and you'll get EU sales (and that's very generous) add Japan and other minor countries and you're halfway to their target.

What's the biggest telling thing and very obvious is that 400 dollars for a console is just too darn much. Average consumer cannot afford a 400 dollar console.
But there's not really data to back this claim up. Xbox 360 is selling better than many other failed consoles, such as the Dreamcast, that launched at a lower price point.

I do believe the 360's price is (and the PS3's will soon be) a barrier to mainstream success--massive sales like the PS2 has seen. But I think Microsoft is smart to say, "you know, mediocre is ok for now, given our loss on the units is not so bad." Come March when they shave off a $100, we'll see a sales jump.

Tho if the launch volume they can put together is in the range you're suggesting above (which I'm unwilling to accept just yet), they might have to weigh that option seriously.

They can send about 30K per week into Japan, that's 120K per month. How much do you think they can hold on to for the European launch? I don't think it's a lot...

What's the biggest telling thing and very obvious is that 400 dollars for a console is just too darn much.

The problem is that the X360 core is $299... and it does sell almost as well now as the PS2; which costs $129 or so?

Back