PS3 sales

Its also a ridiculous point because...

2. The second point is that somehow in your analisys gamers have amensia and that the previous brands for Playstation and Xbox don't count for nothing in todays marketplace. "360 isn't competing against it's numbers from 5 years ago, it's directly competing with the PS3's sales" If the Xbox brand had not been estalished for which the X360 to stand on then the conversation would be null. The same for the PS3 and thus far their numbers are looking good against the PS2.

Branding isn't enough to get people to buy a $600 gaming console in the kinds of numbers as the PS2. The PS2 was "only" $300.

Arwin
I know many euro Playstation-******s that are burned with SONY and are not going to pay 600€ for the PS3. And even more cassuals FIFA XX players that that do not look at the brand of the console if game is enought for them.

On the other hand, I can give you names of lots of euro-playstationeers that would not know what to answer if you asked them "what is an xbox or a gamecube?" And also, names of some people how payed 600 Eur for an xbox360.What does that proove?

Of course the brand counts - otherwise xbox1 would have won the first time around.

Branding isn't enough to get people to buy a $600 gaming console in the kinds of numbers as the PS2. The PS2 was "only" $300.

Not in Europe.

@dobwal: if Sony can make 12 million PS3s in 12 months, then they will sell 12 million PS3s in 12 months. And as long as they can sell them at $499/$599, they will. When they stop selling them, they will lower the price or get more prominent exclusives, just like last time. But they will sell everything they can build in the first year. So unless the PS3 runs into new manufacturing problems, the PS3 has a good chance of beating the PS2 in its first year.

A lot of good news for Sony today. I thought I would try to list them all here instead of making a new thread.

The Havoc 4.5 5-10x performance increase for PS3.
http://www.havok.com/content/view/448/53/

BioWare working on PS3 unofficially confirmed by CEO Dr. Ray Muzyka.
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/45454

First look at Motorstorm Online
http://www.futuregamez.net/news/news.html

Previously only announced for PC and 360 game "Kane & Lynch" officially announced for PS3.
http://www.futuregamez.net/news/news.html

A Sony Namco Bandi alliance
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=SNE:US&sid=as2Ppv1.jUjQ

And a major PS2 backwards compatibility problem was solved via Firmware 1.5.
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1820/ps315bcfix18mc.jpg

Good times...

dobwal: if Sony can make 12 million PS3s in 12 months, then they will sell 12 million PS3s in 12 months. And as long as they can sell them at $499/$599, they will. When they stop selling them, they will lower the price or get more prominent exclusives, just like last time. But they will sell everything they can build in the first year. So unless the PS3 runs into new manufacturing problems, the PS3 has a good chance of beating the PS2 in its first year.

Well yes if they drop the price to 1$ they can sell 1 billion consoles, but I'd say your post is not fully in touch with reality. They will have to drop the price very soon, if they want to hit 12 million by the years end. To me it seems like the demand is already quickening. The price is too high.

if Sony can make 12 million PS3s in 12 months, then they will sell 12 million PS3s in 12 months.

False

This statement would have more weight to it if the ps3 wasn't sitting on shelves for the past few weeks in the US... and in Japan;)

Sony will be lucky to hit their 6 million target at the current price. I'm curious to see how the Europe launch works out for them. My guess, a repeat of Japan/US. First million fly off the shelves ... after that... dust collectors. After that, price cut.

Just my opinion of course and I could be completely wrong. ;)

Not in Europe.

@dobwal: if Sony can make 12 million PS3s in 12 months, then they will sell 12 million PS3s in 12 months. And as long as they can sell them at $499/$599, they will. When they stop selling them, they will lower the price or get more prominent exclusives, just like last time. But they will sell everything they can build in the first year. So unless the PS3 runs into new manufacturing problems, the PS3 has a good chance of beating the PS2 in its first year.

Wasn't there some interview recently with one of the Sony big guys that said that a price cut is not an option right now and near future. I don't know if Sony would be capable to cut the price to spour the demand when ever the the demand would start to falter, which could be quite soon...

Not in Europe.

if Sony can make 12 million PS3s in 12 months, then they will sell 12 million PS3s in 12 months.

Hey, i'm usually more pro-Sony, but even i have to say i don't agree with that. At the current price, i would be VERY surprised (and i'm never VERY surprised) if they can sell all their supply in the next 12 months. Heck, they can't sell all their supply now, after just 2 months! At the beginning, i thought the reports about PS3 sitting on shelves were just one-off instances in towns forgotten by god and gamers, but it seems that there are a lot of PS3's sitting on shelves around the US and Japan, even in big cities. That's just not a good sign, as much brand recognition Sony has, it's obviously not enough to make people dish out that much money, especially when there is really not much software worth it at the moment. Though this will change soon.

The time when they will be forced to drop the price - or sales will slows down a lot - will be much closer.

When they stop selling them, they will lower the price or get more prominent exclusives, just like last time.

Getting prominent exclusives is a process that takes time - or you are implying that Sony have prominent exclusives up their sleeves which haven't been publicized?

Last edited by a moderator:
@dobwal: if Sony can make 12 million PS3s in 12 months, then they will sell 12 million PS3s in 12 months. And as long as they can sell them at $499/$599, they will. When they stop selling them, they will lower the price or get more prominent exclusives, just like last time.

They willl just wave their magic wand and make exclusives appear??

Hey, i'm usually more pro-Sony, but even i have to say i don't agree with that. At the current price

What is it with you people? Have you lost the capacity for reading now? How many of you did actually bother to properly read my post? Get glasses! Jeez. I mentioned something about the price, now, didn't I?

, i would be VERY surprised (and i'm never VERY surprised) if they can sell all their supply

What supply? Right now they have none. It's all going to the stores immediately.

Heck, they can't sell all their supply now, after just 2 months!

And you base this on what. You've walked around the U.S., and you found stores where they couldn't sell all of the consoles on day one? Does that say anything about supply lines in general? Maybe stores get stocked every two weeks only for quite a while. Right now Sony is producing only for Japan and the U.S., but Europe will soon be added. It would be good if they had some surplus capacity for the U.S. and Japan markets, but for now I believe they don't, really. Maybe the 20Gb model in Japan isn't doing so well, but AFAIK the two shops in Japan that took 20% off that model sold those rather swiftly. I have been able to find 360s all year last year over here.

especially when there is really not much software worth it at the moment. Though this will change soon.

Exactly. This will change soon enough, presumably starting with Virtua Fighter 5 which went gold yesterday.

The time when they will be forced to drop the price - or sales will slows down a lot - will be much closer.

And there, you see, you basically agree with me. They will sell the consoles they can make (which I estimate will be 12-14 million tops), even if they have to lower the prices.

Getting prominent exclusives is a process that takes time - or you are implying that Sony have prominent exclusives up their sleeves which haven't been publicized?

I'm just looking at past strategies.

What supply? Right now they have none. It's all going to the stores immediately.

Yes but the stores have them in store ;) Thats a fact. There are to many people from to many different places that say the stores have ps3's on stock for it to be a coincidence. Yes its probably true that the stores arnt full of ps3's but it is probably not very hard to get one if you want. So no its not like sony is selling each ps3 they have available. Both from japan and the usa you hear those stories so its not that sony cant make enough, its just that they dont seems to sell as fast as everybody thought they would.

And there, you see, you basically agree with me. They will sell the consoles they can make (which I estimate will be 12-14 million tops), even if they have to lower the prices.

If they lower the price, id give it a good chance. At the current price? no way.

At least in the South Bay Area, I haven't seen stacks of PS3s in any stores yet. I was in Costco a couple of days ago. Nothing there. But I haven't really looked around as much as I was doing before Xmas.

But on the Internet, you get these reports of stacks of PS3s sitting unsold for weeks. You also get reports that 7 out of 8 people in some office have Zunes and the eighth guy is planning to get one as well. And they were all iPod owners.:rolleyes:

At least in the South Bay Area, I haven't seen stacks of PS3s in any stores yet. I was in Costco a couple of days ago. Nothing there. But I haven't really looked around as much as I was doing before Xmas.

But on the Internet, you get these reports of stacks of PS3s sitting unsold for weeks. You also get reports that 7 out of 8 people in some office have Zunes and the eighth guy is planning to get one as well. And they were all iPod owners.:rolleyes:

Most stores i have seen on teh east coast WONT put a PS3 on the "floor." You want one, they got em but they're int the back. I have seen a lot of people with Zunes it will not in this iteration overtake teh Ipod by any means if for nothing there is a whole industry of third party suppliers based around ipod.

Sony ability to produce 12 million PS3 in one year doesn't mean you can assume that they can sell them all. There is no way to tell if Sony can drop the price of the PS3 to maintain steady demand to sell 12 million by the end of the year. Sony has already stated that a price drop is unlikely and would be hard due to financial constraints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony ability to produce 12 million PS3 in one year doesn't mean you can assume that they will sell them all at $499.00/$599.00.

I have written this in my original post, it has been quoted several times. What is the matter? I thought my command of English was decent enough.

Arwin said:
When they stop selling them, they will lower the price

I have written this in my original post, it has been quoted several times. What is the matter? I thought my command of English was decent enough.

:D I guess you could have been a bit clearer. It sounded like you said "they will sell all units they can manufacture (12million) within 12 months" just because.

No biggie.

Back