PS3 sales

I've been mostly a casual observer to this thread... However...

By the time the masses start buying, the Playstation brand is going to start counting for something, and its huge install and fanbase is going to pay off. There is time for the Playstation to establish itself, and when both systems reach the $300-$400 bracket, the Playstation should benefit both from a technological advantage (better physics, sixaxis support, more data for sound and video, and who knows it will even benefit from synergy with the PSP ), from a potential BluRay movie synergy (making a strict separation between BluRay for Games and for Movies), and from the Playstation brand (backward compatibility, 10 years of market dominance, etc.)

Well I'd be inclined to say the point where the masses start buying is the US $200 price, the 360 is already at the $300-400 range, often with bundled software.
Either the Wii or the 360 core will get to $200 first, possibly within the next 18 months too. The problem for Sony is that having a technically more complex and expensive product that loses more money on the hardware, combined with losing a year for cost reduction, you end up in a very similar situation to the Xbox1 vs PS2 price war - which would have bled any other company dry.
What makes this equation even more concerning is the comparative lack of profitable side business, there is no live subscription, no proprietary hard drive, video cables, no $100 wii controller combo, even batteries, headsets, wheel, themes, DLC etc... Also the software attach rate has, so far, proven to be alarmingly low - when even disk printing no doubt commands a premium. All this is a problem for Sony's ability to make money - which after all is the entire point.
In all likely hood, Sony will have a similar release count to Microsoft up to this price cut period too, which means a possibly sustained difference of ~100+ titles, not to mention a more expensive back catalog simply because it's younger.
And by keeping their stand alone bluray players priced higher than the game system, they also encourage users desiring bluray playback to purchase the system that not only arguably generates the least profit but dilutes the attach rate too. If you want an HD DVD drive, but not a games machine, the logical choice is a toshiba stand alone player not the 360+drive.

All these things influence mindshare, which inevitably influences marketshare.

All the while microsoft are busy virally extending the 360 beyond the core gamer market, pushing into areas like IPTV, video marketplace, XNA and education (and no doubt other areas yet to be announced - say the zune music store?). The natural response to this, of course, is 'well Sony will have IPTV too, and DVR, etc'.. Yet even this is an area I wouldn't see Sony being easily able to enter: any distributor will have serious problems with the overhead associated with bluray and the standard hard drive... Not to mention the software, which, funnily enough, is mostly microsoft software.
Microsoft has more at stake than the 360 with the IPTV move - it's the needle not the virus. Sony's equivalent is bluray, which has the problem of significantly increasing costs to both Sony and end users, delaying the system - and biggest of all - has significantly more competition, both old and new. If you were to place a bet: in 10+ years, which will be more common? 20? etc

There are loads of other parallels, I haven't even mentioned Live's ability to sell titles through your friends, gamerscore etc - which can't really be measured, but I feel is very significant - or even said much about that other (smaller) white box. At the end of the day, Sony has a serious problem on their hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may well think that my comparison of the Xbox's sales with the 360's sales isn't meaningful, but you do expect the same of the PS3 versus the PS2. Sure, it does matter that the 360 has a lead over the PS3, but as long as this doesn't affect its sales curve against the Xbox, then it is not having a visible effect. Sure, right now platform support on the 360 is good, but platform support was pretty good on the original Xbox for a while also.

Some how you forgot to consider the fact that the Xbox saw a $100.00 official pricecut 6 months after launch, which definitely affected the sales curve for the Xbox.

People forget too lightly that even Nintendo didn't lose its market to a competitor in one generation, even if the original PS1 made it look like they did, they still had 60% of the market back then, despite messing up in Europe with the SNES (we got it 3! years late).

The N64 did not own 60% of market. The PS1 moved 100 million console while the N64 moved around 50 million.

Some how you forgot to consider the fact that the Xbox saw a $100.00 official pricecut 6 months after launch, which definitely affected the sales curve for the Xbox.

I'm sure it did. There are a lot of different factors that affect a sales curve. Right now, I'm just looking at that sales curve, and not what different items affected its development, such as economy, competition response, and so on.

The N64 did not own 60% of market. The PS1 moved 100 million console while the N64 moved around 50 million.

I'm sorry, I phrased it wrong. I'm referring to the generation preceding, where the SNES lost a lot of market share to the earlier released Genesis. I think if anything, the 360 / PS3 / Wii war resembles that one (drawing a paralel here by the way without claiming that it says anything about the outcome for this generation ;) ).

Playstation's dominance was against a weakened Nintendo SNES, and a not yet dominant Sega Genesis:

wiki said:
Nintendo's Japanese market dominance was, however, not repeated in the American and PAL markets. By the time of launch the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis had already become firmly entrenched in the US and PAL marketplace, helped by the lower cost of the Mega Drive/Genesis console and games, Sega's aggressive marketing in North America, and overall popularity of the console alone. In addition many U.S. gamers had come to expect backwards compatibility from console developers (as was the case with the Sega Genesis and Atari 7800), but the SNES was not designed to play NES cartridges. This resulted in a backlash from parents who had already spent hundreds of dollars on NES games for their children. The Genesis had the option of backwards compatibility with the Sega Master System if a $35 USD adapter was purchased.

There are some interesting factors at play today that have paralels with what happened then. Mind you, again I would not claim beforehand that these have anything to say about the final outcome, as a lot of other things are very different also.

I'm sure it did. There are a lot of different factors that affect a sales curve. Right now, I'm just looking at that sales curve, and not what different items affected its development, such as economy, competition response, and so on.

Point is it's a fairly ridiculous way to look at it. You're essentially saying "Currently the sales curves are the same, therefore, 360 is no more successful than XBOX."

That's a fairly unrealistic statement. Regardless of the sales comparisons, once you start analyzing the marketplace, it's quite obvious that 360 will be far more successful than XBOX ever was.

It's staring you in the face, the 360 has the game library, and the pricepoint for success, and it will definately be much more succesful than it's predecessor.

Your logic seems to be that PS3 will repeat the sales curve of the PS2, which considering the $500 and $600 pricepoints is out of question. PS3 will sell less than PS2 in it's first year, conversely 360 is already selling more than XBOX1 in it's first year, it's a different marketplace now. 360 isn't competing against it's numbers from 5 years ago, it's directly competing with the PS3's sales now.

Hey, aren't you the same guy who used a single week of PS3 sales to extrapolate how many Japanese PS3 units are going to be sold in 2007?

*edit* ow yes you are :smile:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=912229&postcount=777

he did say 'at that rate'. At the risk of me bringing another pointless car analogy into play here, it's like being stuck in traffic at 5mph with 20 miles to go before you get where you're going. You could say "at this rate, it'll take me 4 hours to get where i'm going" and you'd be right. If you planned your day around the journey taking 4 hours, based on that moment in time, then you'd probably waste your day, just like you'd waste your time determining sales over a year based on a limited set of data. The speed you do, just like the sales of the PS3 this year, will go up and go down.

However, you're right in your implication that it is flawed logic to surmise sales figures for the year based one a week, a month, or even a quarter of sales data. It's still fun to argue it though :p

Hey, aren't you the same guy who used a single week of PS3 sales to extrapolate how many Japanese PS3 units are going to be sold in 2007?

*edit* ow yes you are :smile:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=912229&postcount=777

Lol, I also did that the week prior to show how positive the numbers were for that week, 70k was quite good which I iluustrated by showing it would sell 3.5mill/year at that rate.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=906770&postcount=735

It's funny, when I extrapolate out 3.5million for the year, everyone's fine, not a peep. But when the number is 1.4, all of a sudden the fangs come out!!

My extrapolation was only meant to illustrate how poor the sales were, and how they are signifigantly below the pace that Sony probably wants to be setting. Don't take it as if I'm actually predicting X amount of sales for a year.

The n64 moved less than that, I believe 30 to 40 million by the end of its life, and I've seen some estimates below 30 million. 50 million is more SNES territory, the PSX was the most successful system ever at its time. (though I don't get why people say it brought gaming mainstream, when the NES on its own sold 70 to 80 million systems)

Point is it's a fairly ridiculous way to look at it. You're essentially saying "Currently the sales curves are the same, therefore, 360 is no more successful than XBOX."

The 360 has had the next-gen market for itself for a full year. Who knows that weighs up against the lower price-point of the original Xbox. Who knows there are significant other factors (maybe even in 360s favor - in the U.S., it was supply limited, though in Europe, not so much). Point is, when comparing the timelines of the 360 and the Xbox, there are a lot of different factors playing a part.

That's a fairly unrealistic statement. Regardless of the sales comparisons, once you start analyzing the marketplace, it's quite obvious that 360 will be far more successful than XBOX ever was.

It's certainly possible, and it may even be quite likely. But it's a long way from the 360 beating its predecessor (which it still has to do), to the 360 beating the PS3 this generation. And from there, it is a long way still to saying that the PS3 is in 'significant trouble'.

Your logic seems to be that PS3 will repeat the sales curve of the PS2, which considering the $500 and $600 pricepoints is out of question. PS3 will sell less than PS2 in it's first year

Where? Japan, Europe, U.S., worldwide? You seem to be very willing to forget that the PS2 launched in Japan first, then the U.S., and in the E.U. at the end of the year. The PS3 launched in both the U.S. and Japan simultaneously, and probably will launch 23rd of March in Europe. You also far too lightly say that the PS3 will undersell the PS2 in its first year, completely overlooking the fact that the PS2 was heavily supply limited during 2000, and that by late March the PS3 may well have sold the same number of consoles as the PS2 did a year after its release.

There's lots of things to say against and for comparisons, but the fact of the matter is that there are an incredibly large amount of factors at play, and looking at the actual sales curve makes as much sense as anything else.

it's a different marketplace now.

This is about the extent to where we agree ;) Well, that, and the fact that the 360 has a chance to gain a majority of the U.S. market. It has a home advantage, after all. ;)

Lol, I also did that the week prior to show how positive the numbers were for that week, 70k was quite good which I iluustrated by showing it would sell 3.5mill/year at that rate.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=906770&postcount=735

It's funny, when I extrapolate out 3.5million for the year, everyone's fine, not a peep. But when the number is 1.4, all of a sudden the fangs come out!!

My extrapolation was only meant to illustrate how poor the sales were, and how they are signifigantly below the pace that Sony probably wants to be setting. Don't take it as if I'm actually predicting X amount of sales for a year.

Except that it had been selling at 70k a week for a while, so it's easily ignored. When it changed for 1 week, further extrapolation of that nature will get a lot of notice.

It's staring you in the face, the 360 has the game library, and the pricepoint for success, and it will definately be much more succesful than it's predecessor.

Your logic seems to be that PS3 will repeat the sales curve of the PS2, which considering the $500 and $600 pricepoints is out of question. PS3 will sell less than PS2 in it's first year, conversely 360 is already selling more than XBOX1 in it's first year, it's a different marketplace now. 360 isn't competing against it's numbers from 5 years ago, it's directly competing with the PS3's sales now.

Its also a ridiculous point because...

1. you're forgetting the setting in which the Xbox was competing in and that is with both the PS2 and gamecube. Yet, you are glorifying the fact that X360 is impressive now and "once you start analyzing the marketplace, it's quite obvious that 360 will be far more successful than XBOX ever was"... Thus far for about a year they had the market to themselves and competing with a PS3/Wii a limmited stock for 2 months. If you call that success.....

2. The second point is that somehow in your analisys gamers have amensia and that the previous brands for Playstation and Xbox don't count for nothing in todays marketplace. "360 isn't competing against it's numbers from 5 years ago, it's directly competing with the PS3's sales" If the Xbox brand had not been estalished for which the X360 to stand on then the conversation would be null. The same for the PS3 and thus far their numbers are looking good against the PS2.

The X360 is selling better than the Xbox ever since the initial supply problems have been solved. That is, in the US, it's selling better now. According to NPD, the difference between them in 14 months has shrinked to 40K units and the X360 will more then likely overtake the Xbox after january.

But the second console had a worldwide launch, and it's selling better than the Xbox in Europe too. If you combine these sales together, there are already more Xbox360s sold around the world then it had been with the first one in january 2003. X360 has reached 40% of the Xbox's cumulative sales in a little more then a year.

So we can conlcude that your entire argument is based on ignorance (may not be intentional) and thus it is flawed.

If you want to see a vivid and quantifiable difference in the XBOX and XBOX360 markets at this point in their respective lives, just look at the software unit sales. In the US, in its first full year of availability, ~8.1M units of XBOX software were sold to a userbase of ~5.1M. In XBOX360's first full year of availability 19.4M units were sold to a userbase of ~5M.

To put this in perspective, the highest number of units that were ever sold of XBOX SW was in 2004 when 22.9M were sold to a userbase of ~13M. Anyone have any doubts that the 360 is going to eclipse this number in 2007 by a pretty large margin?

Where? Japan, Europe, U.S., worldwide? You seem to be very willing to forget that the PS2 launched in Japan first, then the U.S., and in the E.U. at the end of the year. The PS3 launched in both the U.S. and Japan simultaneously, and probably will launch 23rd of March in Europe. You also far too lightly say that the PS3 will undersell the PS2 in its first year, completely overlooking the fact that the PS2 was heavily supply limited during 2000, and that by late March the PS3 may well have sold the same number of consoles as the PS2 did a year after its release.

I think you would be hard pressed to find estimates of Sony moving 10.7 million PS3 by March. The PS2 moved 1.4 million units in the month (March) it was released. It went on to sale 9.3 million over Sony's next fiscal year (Sony fiscal year begins in April).

It goes to show that the PS2's demand was outstripping supply past 10 million units, while the PS3 is showing the opposite effects after 2 months and 2 million units shipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Havok always (like most of middlewares) gets X time faster for every console just after their release :devilish: .

Arwin
I know many euro Playstation-******s that are burned with SONY and are not going to pay 600€ for the PS3. And even more cassuals FIFA XX players that that do not look at the brand of the console if game is enought for them.

Is off-toppic but Wii secon hand market is going fast, but like finding a Wii is like finding the Sacred Grial it seems that do not exist. I belive that for summer there will be full of Wiis and PS3s at euro shops.

Back