PS3 sales

Is it me, or is everyone missing the fact that everything dropped 50% from last week? It's also kinda premature to make any predictions either.

Assuming, of course, that they have not reduced shipments to Japan in anticipation of the EU launch. This would not be unbelievable considering the time of year where demand would slow a little from the holidays.

We will see though. At some point the issue of general availability will become clearer in each region.
Not likely, sony announced 1.000.000 units shipped in japan two days ago...
At this pace half the stock is sitting quietly on the shelves...

It's amazing to read these negative posts from Scoobydoo and Swanlee (Is neogaf even reliable?). Have you considered the fact that the PS3 does not have many big games out, as a potential reason for its slow sales? Sony is seen as an iconic company in Japan, and the machine isnt even that expensive over there thanks to pre-launch price-cut. I think people need to stop being so hysterical over a machine thats only been out for two months, though I can only think some posts may well have hidden agendas behind them.

It's amazing to read these negative posts from Scoobydoo and Swanlee (Is neogaf even reliable?). Have you considered the fact that the PS3 does not have many big games out, as a potential reason for its slow sales? Sony is seen as an iconic company in Japan, and the machine isnt even that expensive over there thanks to pre-launch price-cut. I think people need to stop being so hysterical over a machine thats only been out for two months, though I can only think some posts may well have hidden agendas behind them.

Who's being hysterical?

There's nothing wrong with pointing out the fact these sales are bad. Why should we sit here and sugarcoat what are obviously low sales?

On the issue of demand, it seems to be pretty much unanimously reported that it's not hard to find a PS3 in JPN right now, so whatever the shipments are, demand is still less.

Yes. All the games out right now are fantastic and right up the Japanese gamers alley. My guess is at best 1.5 million :rolleyes: Software is unlikely to increase sales.

Don't put words in my mouth.

I was simply illustrating out how poor these numbers are by showing what the sales would be over a year.

I was simply illustrating out how poor these numbers are by showing what the sales would be over a year.

But are they really likely to remain the same when VF5, HS, DMC 4 and FF come out? To me, its seems irrelevant and illogical to make such a point.

I also expect the PS3 to sell very well in Europe when its released, despite its £425 price-tag in the UK. The PSP sold 185,000 in one week, and that was £180 for basically a handheld PS2.

Thats what some people seem to forget. PS3 sales have been stronger than 360 sales were at this point last year, with Sony having the ability to ramp up production when demand increases, which it surely will.

Just 34k?, this can't be right, i mean, if their sales go down, they should do it more slowly... Sony is in trouble.

I think he was simply out how silly an idea it is to extrapolate a year's worth of sales from a single week.

PS3 sales have been stronger than 360 sales were at this point last year...

How are you figuring this?

So far both compainies have come out with figures of about 1.5M shipped by the year end of their first year - but these are not like for like figures. NPD numbers for PS3 and 360 for these periods respectively where both similar, however 360's numbers we supply constrianed with sales in Europe at the same time, which will have been taking away from the well publicised NPD figures.

I think he was simply out how silly an idea it is to extrapolate a year's worth of sales from a single week.

Good thing I wasn't implying that these would be the actual sales.

Funny I didn't hear all this crying when I extrapolated the numbers last week out to 3.5million on the year.

It's just any easy way to judge sales against expectations, obviously 34k is way below expectations, 70k is probably as low as they should go and still be considered ok imo.

or potentially misinforming

Well don't dance around the bush Nesh, you think these are good sales? You think this bodes well for PS3 with it's current pricepoint??

All I smell is major damage control. I don't know what so hard about calling a spade a spade. 360 sold 21k last week, PS3, a week later sells only 34k and you guys can't even admit that's bad?? Instead pretending it should be expected?

Give me a break, nobody was expecting this, many of the same posters now doing damage control were predicting Japan to buy every single PS3 that could be shipped...

"the PS3 does not have many big games out, as a potential reason for its slow sales?"

Err and this is a good thing? The vast majority of games are Multi-plat these days and the PS3 does not have any major GEARs of WAR type system selling exclusives in the pipe line anytime soon.

When will the PS3 have a reason to spend 600$ on it? and by then will it be to late?

Well don't dance around the bush Nesh, you think these are good sales? You think this bodes well for PS3 with it's current pricepoint??

All I smell is major damage control. I don't know what so hard about calling a spade a spade. 360 sold 21k last week, PS3, a week later sells only 34k and you guys can't even admit that's bad?? Instead pretending it should be expected?

Give me a break, nobody was expecting this, many of the same posters now doing damage control were predicting Japan to buy every single PS3 that could be shipped...

Everything drop 50% this week from last week. This is a historically slow week in Japan, and even if it wasn't, you can't extrapolate from one week. Everyone is telling you the obvious. You're the only making a big deal out of it and some of us are merely pointing this out to you.

+1 scooby dooby, a lot of people here were expecting that if sony manage to ship 6 millions units until march, the product would have still been sold out everywhere.
It looks clearer and clearer, between an half or a third of the units shipped are sitting on the selves in Japan.
For US I don't know but the situation looks better, but if the demand was so hight given the actual shippement (1.000.000) I expect that a lot of japanese people would be doing cash via e-bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything drop 50% this week from last week. This is a historically slow week in Japan...
If we assume that PS3 was released in small enough numbers last month that lots of people were left still wanting one, why would they not buy one this month? All that pent up demand should be carrying over, no? If there was a market for 2 million PS3's in Japan on Nov 11th when it launched, would it not sell those 2 million ASAP when they became available, no matter what time of year?

Does anyone, by some small chance, have PS2 sales for the same relative period? I'd be kinda interested in seeing how the two compare.

Back