[PS3] LittleBigPlanet Impressions

It's way smaller than any of those! A very niche IP by comparison. I guess you can measure public consciouness by movie and game tie-ins. Loads for DC and Marvel, so people know about those. eg. My understanding of the DC universe was next to nothing beyond Batman and Superman (films and TV) before Snowblind Studios 'Justice League Heroes' game on PS2. Bought as a Snowblind game, it introduced me to the DC lore I otherwise wouldn't know. Then Smallville introduced these characters who I could recognise, completely out of canon, and now I know something about it. I knew Marvel from the cartoon and films, and then XMen Legends II provided a lot of background trivia.

There's very little for 2000AD, so outside of comic-buffs I don't expect anyone to know what the new costumes are about.

I've now published a 'level' called 'rainclouds' - so anyone wanting rainclouds feel free to 'play' it - it takes 5 seconds, explains (breifly) how I did them - and gives you a couple of clouds for use in your levels :eek:)

please just take a couple of seconds to heart me and the level - that's all I ask in return!

I just published a couple of mini shoot-the-floaty-ball types concept games.

They are playable but I'm looking for feedback, so far the * ratings are quite good so I must be hitting somewhere round what people might like :)

Sackball - shoot the balls into the U and get point bubbles

Shootball (2+players only) - 2 sides - red and blue -shoot the balls into the minigoals, first to 3 wins.

Feedback appreciated :)

By the way, did anyone notice in the LBP PSP trailer that the PSP is going to be its own standalone play create share affair, with a level editor on the PSP and online download and sharing of levels? That's a lot more than I expected, to be honest!

By the way, did anyone notice in the LBP PSP trailer that the PSP is going to be its own standalone play create share affair, with a level editor on the PSP and online download and sharing of levels? That's a lot more than I expected, to be honest!

yeah - looks amazing...the ability to be messing about whilst travelling is very nice!

I just published a couple of mini shoot-the-floaty-ball types concept games.

They are playable but I'm looking for feedback, so far the * ratings are quite good so I must be hitting somewhere round what people might like :)

Sackball - shoot the balls into the U and get point bubbles

Shootball (2+players only) - 2 sides - red and blue -shoot the balls into the minigoals, first to 3 wins.

Feedback appreciated :)

What do I look for?

sorry, I keep forgetting my PSN is "goonergaz"...the level names are "sackball" and "shootball" (I know - not very imaginitive!)

The online beta has been going on for about 2 weeks I think, or at least they begun their selection process then. Hopefully it pans out well and we get this mode soon!

Alex Evans interview with GameIndustry.biz: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/media-molecules-alex-evans?page=1

Q: You've already got 2 million levels that people have created, so maybe that's the answer to this question - but would you like to see even more accessible tools for people in the game?
Alex Evans: Yeah, I would have liked to have made it better. We originally started with a shotgun and a hair dryer, and it mutated a lot... One of the things we're focusing on next is looking at stuff that insane - generally French and Japanese - people have built, and then making that more accessible, just making some of the ideas that are possible, easier.

The second side of it is that at the moment you can exchange objects via PSN messages. One of the original ideas that was axed from the original game was that you could publish objects from the game online, not just levels, and you'd be credited with the use of those objects.

I think something like that will really boost it - if you're just a beginner user, you can go and browse not just for levels, but for cars, let's say. Take that, sticker it up, and you're done - and that will change the barriers to entry.

So both of those things - changing the tools themselves, and changing how you share - are coming.

Q: It's enabling people to make the first step?
Alex Evans: Yes, because there's that point where you think: "I can never make something like that." And then you realise that some people can.

Before we shipped, people were quoting articles about what percentage of YouTube users actually upload videos to the site - but if you look at the sales figures for LBP versus the number of videos that have been published, it's way out of kilter.

That's awesome, and I don't know the science as to how we did it, but I think it's partly that gamers are just way more dedicated. As a market, even the non-hardcore ones, they seem to care more. Forget the achievement- and trophy-whoring - if you've made a level, you really care about it and want to shout about it.

BTW, long back I played a level by Jardel ! I think it was awesome. Its called Abyss, and , though the initial part is pretty rough, once u get underwater, it was one of the most satisfying levels I have played in LBP !

:love: you Jardel ! (Jardel = Keyn, right :unsure: ?)

BTW, long back I played a level by Jaeyden ! I think it was awesome. Its called Abyss, and , though the initial part is pretty rough, once u get underwater, it was one of the most satisfying levels I have played in LBP !

:love: you Jardel ! (Jardel = Keyn, right :unsure: ?)
Corrected. Still :love: me ?? :mrgreen:
Close but not quite. Phil = conceptics-US
Oh , I didn't know that... I'll be merciful next time I see you at KZ2 :mrgreen::p ...

Ha ha, more confusion about PSN identifies. I thought something was wierd when RenegadeRocks mentioned Jardel created a LBP level. ^_^

Add the DLC revenue, assuming its profit making, then Sony must be happy with this title.

Q: Do you look back at releases like LittleBigPlanet and try to learn lessons? I know they have a consistent long tail on that game, so do you see Heavy Rain as a big bang or slow burn?

Guillaume de Fondaumiere: I think it's a game that will probably have a longer lifespan than other games, simply because - a bit like LittleBigPlanet - we're in our own area. So one shooter could shoot another shooter out of the charts to a certain degree, and that's probably why you're seeing the high number of sales for a short period in other game categories.

For innovative titles that stand out, that are different and almost have no direct competition to a certain degree, then you can see a longer lifespan. That's what makes publishing those titles very interesting - I think LBP has been hugely successful. You may not have seen it in the charts at number one everywhere during one particular week, but when it adds up you see that they've sold, I don't know the exact numbers, but around 2.5 million units worldwide. That's quite an achievement for a first game, definitely.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/catching-the-rain?page=2 <- stolen from Patsu's post in the Heavy Rain thread.

does anyone know if 'gore' is OK?

For example - I'm thinking of baddies with limbs that will come off and (hopefully) squirt blood...am I going to put effort in that will be time wasted by the level being removed?

TIA :)

Back