[PS3] Killzone 3 game discussion

It's all about personal preferences anyway. Otherwise, all of us will like the same food, same woman, same shirt, blah. It'd be a mess.

KZ3 ? I can tell a lot of :love: went into MAWLR. Freaking amazing fight. I wonder if the KZ3 team hate all mecha after that since they obviously spent so much time there.

I like that the jungle has eye-popping colors. The stealth gameplay is a good start, but I think if they have less variety, they can invest more in this setting and gameplay style. But we only got one level off it. I like the junkyard better than the jungle, especially the tower fight.

The snow scene is great too, but not as impactful as I thought. Should let me ride on the water.

There are lot of details in the game, so the artists must have spent a lot of time there. But I think they overdid it. Some people are complaining that the MP maps are too cluttered. Your milage will vary.

EDIT: Yeah… junkyard love:
rhrj2e.jpg

The environmentalists will probably scoff when I say I prefer the junkyard to the jungle. ^_^

Orgasm :oops:

Same as me :p
And the area your character is facing at when the level begins looks so good, shame that you never see that area again.
The water effects were pretty cool, its a big improvement over the murky silvery thingy they had in Killzone 2

The junkyard fight was where I confirmed I could trust Rico. ^_^
I missed so many times up there at the tower it's not even funny.

I thought I would see more of the level since they put in a lot of effort there, so I didn't bother to sightsee. Then yeah we never return. -_-

EDIT:
I'm just wondering, given the ending, are we going to see
mutants and zombies
in Killzone 4? :p

I think the planet has been evacuated along with Visari. ^_^

You're right, nightshade. Water looks good in KZ3.

Junkyard never looked more beautiful :).
2rg1cgk.jpg

And also I'm really digging Stalh's lab, it's easily one of the best showcase of a full deferred renderer.
2zr0pjk.jpg

10zae6a.jpg

28vqgd4.jpg

2vkyc2f.jpg

Holy crap, you tally the assist scores ?

It's possible ! The netcode is new, and we know there is at least the "MTU too small" bug. I think I got 3 free points, but I'm not entirely sure. Have been playing a lot over the weekend.

Assists are important! If you get 5 of them you are awarded the bullet damage ribbon!

I noticed lots of weird things last night playing. One guy was AFK and I unloaded a ton of rounds into him with my LMG and he just stood there not dying. I went up and did a BM and then he died.

Also, the only matches I can seem to get into anymore are the ones with that single bonus map. Is anyone else having this problem?

WoW ! The Stahl Lab looks feakintastic ! :p !

Yap, the space levels are 'specially good for MLAA.
By that time, I was already inundated though. ^_^

Assists are important! If you get 5 of them you are awarded the bullet damage ribbon!

I noticed lots of weird things last night playing. One guy was AFK and I unloaded a ton of rounds into him with my LMG and he just stood there not dying. I went up and did a BM and then he died.

Also, the only matches I can seem to get into anymore are the ones with that single bonus map. Is anyone else having this problem?

It's not difficult to get 5 assists, so I didn't bother counting !

Are you referring to the Salamun Market map ? There is a bug that causes the server to favor that map if the pre-order pack is installed. I think it's the best map so far. To undo it, you have to manually unselect the map from your maps options… until they patch the game.

Same as me :p
And the area your character is facing at when the level begins looks so good, shame that you never see that area again.
The water effects were pretty cool, its a big improvement over the murky silvery thingy they had in Killzone 2

I think I liked the old water better. The ripples can be nice, but the surface of the water is more simplistic and there are no reflections anymore.

But yeah..the junkyard..the detail is almost unbelievable.

And the boltgun rocks! :D

I don't remember that level anymore :LOL:
Time to replay KZ2 !

I believe nightshade is refering to the water in Corinth River, the first level where we landed ?

Yap, :love: boltgun against bots.

I think I liked the old water better. The ripples can be nice, but the surface of the water is more simplistic and there are no reflections anymore.
Killzone 2 had no ripples at all, you'd get this sprite whenever you shoot and that's about it for interaction.

Err, I meant the ripples in KZ3 are nice, but the surface of the water is more simplistic and there are no reflections anymore like it had in Killzone 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
fearsomepirate said:
Overall, I feel like this game was designed by the "LOL! I am teh 1337 sn1p3r, n00b!" crowd. I mean, it feels like they designed the most powerful sniper imaginable, then just sort of threw some other classes in there. The fact that the Marksman's Scramble++ ability passively disables one of the Tactician's secondary abilities suggests that. A passive ability should never trump an active ability, ever. Imagine if the Engineer passively disabled any cloaks and disguises near him. Oh yeah, the maze-like map I was in (I was playing Warzone) is not available in Botzone. Awesome!

I should also mention that I really hate how they removed all the options from Warzone to make it even more COD-like. To me, one of the best things about KZ2 was that they remembered that custom games are fun. Think the Assault class is overpowered? Turn it off. Think Assassination is weak? Turn it off. Can't stand Pyrrhus Rise? Take it out of the rotation. And no one will make you join a game with options you don't like. Choose from a list instead of getting randomly assigned! But no, I'm not allowed to customize my own game. Apparently, Timesplitters was the end of an era in console multiplayer, because in the bright new hardcore ueber-advanced HD future, everything is freaking Call of Duty.

I just don't see why I should play this instead of MAG.

Just wait till you start to run into the guys (maxed out infiltrator especially) that kill you in a single melee. Either you die trying to do an objective out in the open by a perfectly cloaked sniper or you die taking the route through building and meleed by an infiltrator on boost. That pretty much sums up the Warzone experience for me. To make matters worse, you have over powerful sentry turrets (that fire rockets at you) and medics carry around a mini bot that still live on while the medic you just killed bleeds out. Some ideas have potential but overall, it feels like they took everything from KZ2 and put it on steroids.

On top of that, yes, everything does feel a lot more like CoD now. In hope the game could redeem itself, I downloaded the retro-pack and played a few games of Salomon Market. Unfortunately, it's nothing like the experience in KZ2. While it is visually a very impressive level, the overpowered classes change the gameplay quite dramatically into something that's perhaps easier to get into but a whole lot less rewarding than the higher-learning curve featured gameplay of KZ2. Team-work based gameplay was much more common in KZ2 and I played both games from the beginning (including betas).

Since Warzone is effectively dead to me because of this, Guerrilla Warfare makes matters even worse with the no-homebases, badly programmed randomized spawns and small levels. The only real fun I've had in the multipalyer mode of KZ3 is Operations.

Yap, the space levels are 'specially good for MLAA.

You see, that's why we need GG to do a non-on-rails space combat game set in the Killzone universe for PS3 (or even NGP)!

The space parts in KZ3 were for me the prevailing high point of the game.... absolutely breathtaking!

We need more space combat/trading games this gen with KZ3 level graphics.

Everytime any kind of space flight game gets announced and i find out it's another MMO i die a little inside :(

Err, I meant the ripples in KZ3 are nice, but the surface of the water is more simplistic and there are no reflections anymore like it had in Killzone 2.
I dont agree with this
I dont think K2 had real reflections and I dont recall it reacting to you except from the simplistc splash effect (that didnt even exist in all wet surfaces) which existed since forever in games. In K3 the water is interactive and environment lighting appears to be reflected on it as much as it needs to be to look like water. The water animation in the rivers also appear to be much more realistic.
In K2 the water in rivers was flat and was made out of layers moving along each other. The puddles were even flatter, they werent transparent and they were fakely animated to wave towards only one direction no matter what. They were "dead nature"

edit": I take the reflections part back. There were indeed a few areas in K2 where the water did cast environment reflections. I forgot about it. I havent found an area yet in K3 where you walk in water to compare

I think the maps will make some differences but you can still enjoy the game, Phil.

Here're my posts in GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26354689&postcount=5122

There was a Search and Retrieve game where we moved the objective across the bridge and below the bridge in Salamun Market back and forth forever. Helghast won 1 more mission than us and wanted to force a draw in this mission. So they tried to hog and hide the objective, away from the drop-off point.

We held the TSP at the back of the central building (ISA side). The Exos were creating havoc, their snipers zeroed in on the drop-off entrance. When I took a step in twice, I was headshot immediately as an Infiltrator. On my third try into the room (I died a few times before I get there man), I decided to cut in sideway to mess up the sniper's aim. Then I fell off the platform alive (LOL).

On my fourth try, I made it in with the same trick, and zig-zag as best as I could and scored 1-0 (Thank you sprint speed !). Was amazed the Exo didn't fire at me. Good thing another camping sniper along the corridor got killed first too.

With 15 seconds left, another tussle on the bridge and I ended up with the objective again. This time, I jumped off the bridge, ran as fast as I could towards my team Exo. We ended the mission with 1-0 ! I think if they had tried to win this one straight, they would have scored more. They are quite strong.

I also posted other impressions in the same thread.

EDIT:
I made a mistake ! I headed straight at the Helghast's Exo in the end instead of ISA's. >_<

I dont agree with this
I dont think K2 had real reflections and I dont recall it reacting to you except from the simplistc splash effect (that didnt even exist in all wet surfaces) which existed since forever in games. In K3 the water is interactive and environment lighting appears to be reflected on it as much as it needs to be to look like water. The water animation in the rivers also appear to be much more realistic.
In K2 the water in rivers was flat and was made out of layers moving along each other. The puddles were even flatter, they werent transparent and they were fakely animated to wave towards only one direction no matter what. They were "dead nature"

edit": I take the reflections part back. There were indeed a few areas in K2 where the water did cast environment reflections. I forgot about it. I havent found an area yet in K3 where you walk in water to compare

I guess I just like reflections better, though I do think the movement of the water was fine in KZ2, especially at the riverside at the start of the game. Maybe it wasn't suited for smaller areas though.

Sadly not a lot of games can seem to manage both interactive water and accurate reflections it seems.

Back