PS3 Firmware 3.40

Sites here and there seem to confirm that this closes the USB vulnerability:

http://exophase.com/ps3/ps3-firmware-3-42-hits-network-update-18063.htm

Without knowing much about how this works, my only concern would be how this update affects the functionality of USB hard drives at boot during a restore procedure. If the drive isn't recognized quickly, the restore will fail, as it is unable to locate restore data. It can already be a bit finicky from my experiences (although many others have reported no such issues).

Without knowing much about how this works, my only concern would be how this update affects the functionality of USB hard drives at boot during a restore procedure. If the drive isn't recognized quickly, the restore will fail, as it is unable to locate restore data. It can already be a bit finicky from my experiences (although many others have reported no such issues).
It shouldn't be a problem. The hack worked by quickly adding and removing virtual devices, leaving code in memory space that was occupied by a USB device. Sony only need address that cheating, maybe even as simple as putting in enough delay between adding and removing devices that memory gets freed up properly, which doesn't affect the core USB system.

It shouldn't be a problem. The hack worked by quickly adding and removing virtual devices, leaving code in memory space that was occupied by a USB device. Sony only need address that cheating, maybe even as simple as putting in enough delay between adding and removing devices that memory gets freed up properly, which doesn't affect the core USB system.

That makes sense. I didn't fully realize that this (jigkick) was truly an exploit. I originally thought they were using cloned factory hardware and standard system behavior and leveraging that. I didn't know that there was an actual memory/buffer exploit at the root of this hack that enables the vulnerable debug mode behavior.

We all assumed it was a basically a ripped Sony device, but it turns out it was a very clever hack. The hackers deserve credit for that, on an intellectual level.

We all assumed it was a basically a ripped Sony device, but it turns out it was a very clever hack. The hackers deserve credit for that, on an intellectual level.

Well it appeared they still needed the ripped device, the hack came in getting it to work with a clone. It was clever though, but also sloppy and left multiple places where it could be blocked.

However, there's a hardware hack also that can restore FW 3.40, right? So there's still an opening of sorts, combining the two? Of course, anything online is then out of the question.

Bolded is my addition.

Eh, it's not Sony's fault that "hackers" have a superiority complex. There's nothing we can do if these ingrates continue to open doors which will inevitably lead to rampant piracy. Yes, it sucks, but business is business. No one is forced to upgrade, and if you want to use the free services that Sony provides, you'll just have to play by their rules. This goes for any manufacturer really.

Eh, it's not Sony's fault that "hackers" have a superiority complex. There's nothing we can do if these ingrates continue to open doors which will inevitably lead to rampant piracy. Yes, it sucks, but business is business. No one is forced to upgrade, and if you want to use the free services that Sony provides, you'll just have to play by their rules. This goes for any manufacturer really.

Piracy is a catch 22 for many industries. On one side of the coin they want to protect their investment and insure they are paid justly by those receiving a benifit by using the product they produced. On the other side of the coin they need to make sure that whatever steps they do to prevent priracy doesn't in turn cause existing/legitimate users of the product to have thier experience lessen as a result as that would decrease the value of the product they are trying to sell.

I'm all for antipiracy measures, however as soon as those measures cause an adverse affect on my ability to use product that I have paid for then the precieved value of that product diminishes. Continual negative changes that cause the product to diminish too much will just result in its percieved value to be too low to support by me.

Piracy is a catch 22 for many industries. On one side of the coin they want to protect their investment and insure they are paid justly by those receiving a benifit by using the product they produced. On the other side of the coin they need to make sure that whatever steps they do to prevent priracy doesn't in turn cause existing/legitimate users of the product to have thier experience lessen as a result as that would decrease the value of the product they are trying to sell.

I'm all for antipiracy measures, however as soon as those measures cause an adverse affect on my ability to use product that I have paid for then the precieved value of that product diminishes. Continual negative changes that cause the product to diminish too much will just result in its percieved value to be too low to support by me.
So what kind of devaluation are you expecting? Disc games still play, PSN games still play, so do Blu-rays, local media, DLNA streams. USB storage still works, too. What exactly are you afraid of?

There is some features that hackers on the PSP and PS3 have been able to do that Sony themselves haven't. Now I'm not saying that piracy should be allowed through hackers' intentions, but I wish Sony would take a look at what they've achieved and try to bring out these features in the official firmware.

Piracy protection is fine and all, but it shouldn't be the primary focus of what goes into every firmware update. It would be better to actually wait and put in some new functionality with the security updates hiding in the firmware. I think it's safe to say if someone really wanted to hack their PS3/PSP they wouldn't let their devices be updated in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is some features that hackers on the PSP and PS3 have been able to do that Sony themselves haven't. Now I'm not saying that piracy should be allowed through hackers' intentions, but I wish Sony take look at what they've achieved and try to bring out these features in the official firmware.

Piracy protection is fine and all, but it shouldn't be the primacy focus of what goes into every firmware update. It would be better to actually wait and put in some new functionality with the security updates hiding in the firmware. I think it's safe to say if someone really wanted to hack their PS3/PSP they wouldn't let their devices be updated in the first place.

It´s also safe to say that the earlier you plug a hole, the better. As is the case with the Internet generation, we think that "everyone" knows about this hack now. I am pretty certain that the amount of people that will regret they ever updated to 3.42 is pretty big once they find out they could have gotten "free games".

In your previous post you seemed to indicate that copy protection took away "something" from you. By not adding features they aren´t really taking anything away :)

What exact features does the homebrew provide on the PSP that really stands out as must haves? (i seriously dont know)

It´s also safe to say that the earlier you plug a hole, the better. As is the case with the Internet generation, we think that "everyone" knows about this hack now. I am pretty certain that the amount of people that will regret they ever updated to 3.42 is pretty big once they find out they could have gotten "free games".

In your previous post you seemed to indicate that copy protection took away "something" from you. By not adding features they aren´t really taking anything away :)

What exact features does the homebrew provide on the PSP that really stands out as must haves? (i seriously dont know)
I don't know what previous post you're talking about, I think you are thinking of someone else. I also never said they taking away anything from me, I only felt that Sony could learn from the homebrew community when it comes to integrating new functionality.

The number of people who know about these hacks are usually more than those who actually use them. Any person who has hacked any other devices (iPhone/DS/PSP) are not the types to update their console the second it arrives, and are willing to wait so they find a way around it. I'm not saying the updates are useless, but there are better ways of releasing them without making them seem unnecessary or a hassle on the standard user's end. If you don't hack your PSP, do the frequent firmware updates on it do anything for you?

The hackers working on the jailbroken code we're trying to work on supporting MKV video format and use NTFS-formatted drives for PS3. TThe PSP hackers has have created apps that allow youtube/flash videos on the PSP, a better web browser, a fully customizable XMB, various types multiple music/video formats, new visualizations for the music player, and improvements to the standard media player. I've seen some things that have been on CFW PSPs and aside from the piracy features there's some pretty amazing stuff for it. I don't use it since I want to support buying games for it, but I want those options available to me without needing to go behind the manufacturer's back to get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hackers working on the jailbroken code we're trying to work on supporting MKV video format and use NTFS-formatted drives for PS3.

Both of those features worked just fine on ps3 linux before sony was forced to plug the whole introduced by geohot. There wasn't anything really limiting homebrew mediaplayers and codecs on ps3 linux(RSX access does Not help there, writing SPU optimized code does).

It would be plausible to say hacking has caused ps3 to Drop features(other os support) if one was to play devil's advocate.

Both of those features worked just fine on ps3 linux before sony was forced to plug the whole introduced by geohot. There wasn't anything really limiting homebrew mediaplayers and codecs on ps3 linux(RSX access does Not help there, writing SPU optimized code does).

It would be plausible to say hacking has caused ps3 to Drop features(other os support) if one was to play devil's advocate.
Then why not instead of getting rid of OtherOS, they just create a patch to kill the exploit, or why not support those two features on the XMB itself so it's done without the OtherOS option?

Then why not instead of getting rid of OtherOS, they just create a patch to kill the exploit, or why not support those two features on the XMB itself so it's done without the OtherOS option?

Because the geohot exploit is partially hw based it cannot be closed with software only. The vector needed to run sw part of the exploit on the other hand can and was closed. Ofcourse now that there is again way to run own code on ps3 geohot exploit becomes again possibility(glitching the bus + running appropriate code while at it)

Back