PS3 and Vita Cross Controller Thread

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
As most people know by now, Sony is doing some Wii U style features using the Playstation 3 and the Playstation Vita. I thought it would be interesting to create a thread on this topic.

Cross Controller is a separate feature that can be accessed from the Remote Play Home Screen.

There are a number of games that suppor or will support it in the future. The biggest one currently is LBP2. Here's how that works (not very trivial!):

I got it to work with both my PS3s, and with both the Digital and the Retail version.

Let's see if I remember the correct procedure:

1. On your PS3, make sure your Vita is registered for your PS3 with Remote Play. I did this over a private network, using WiFi.
- For this, go to the settings menu on the PS3 and choose register remote play devices, and then Vita. You should get a code to type in on your Vita.
- Next, start up Remote Play on your Vita, click the three dot menu in the bottom right corner, choose settings, then register with PS3.
- Now you should be able to type in the code that is shown on PS3.

Even if you think you've done this before, you may want to do it again.

2. Start up LBP2. If there are any updates, it will install these now. My digital version on my one PS3 was up-to-date thanks to Plus. The retail one I started on my other PS3 wasn't, and had to install 9 updates, the last of which was 1GB.

3. Go to the Store, and buy and install the Cross Controller DLC. This should give you basically two unlock keys, as the content for the update was in the last LBP2 patch you installed under 2.

4. When it's done installing, go back to your pod, and choose the 'Cross Controller' option. When you get to the screen where it says start up Cross Controller on your Vita, go to your Vita and on the Remote Play home screen, press the Cross Controller icon instead of Remote Play.

5. Click Next on Vita. It should find the PS3 and move to step 2, where it starts downloading the LBP Remote Play app for your Vita. Once that's completed (something like 463MB), it will go to step 3 and prompt you to exit the Cross Controller App. Press the Home button on your Vita, and you'll see the LBP Remote App installing immediately.

6. Start this App on your Vita. Now you can start playing the Cross Controller levels on PS3.

From the top of my head, but I think that's it. Let me know if I missed something.

Incidentally, when I tried this with my other PS3 and the Retail version, it needed to download and install the LBP Vita Remote Play app again before it could work.

I played the first world, asking my wife to help out, and thought it was pretty neat and works very smoothly (though the first world doesn't do anything particularly spectacular). I think it's very promising, especially with people being able to make their own levels (which I'll be sure to dabble with during the holidays), but Sony definitely needs to do some work smoothing the user experience if they want this to become something 'casual'.

I'm guessing the mechanics are the same as the Move mode, only with the touchscreen instead of the Move?

I want this in my Vita. But for my PC games.
Yes, this was wishful thinking. Maybe one day..

How are they going to do with the games that require the analog triggers L2 and R2 (mostly in racing/flight simulators)?
They're not going to be compatible period, or can they implement virtual triggers in the back touchpad along with some kind of on-screen guides?

Arwin, what's the minimum signal quality that you need in order to play the game?
Does it feel like it's being rendered at the game's native 720p and then downsampled or is it being rendered at 540p?

What happens when you lose signal? The game pauses or everything goes haywire?

Back