[PS3] Eight Days *cancelled*

They have repeatedly stated they are moving away from third party support (in the midst of losing two of their biggest third party exclusives) and will rely heavily on internally developed games, yet they go out and shitcan two of their own big projects in favour of some casual fluff.

Wii and its casual crowd might be the reason?

I think it's a good call. To this very day the PS2 has more credit in Europe than anywhere else in a large part because SCE Europe did wonderful things for the casual crowd with SingStar, Buzz, and EyeToy all being very strong titles over here (as in millions and millions of sales for each franchise). If they want to retain/regain a leading position in the console space, then certainly those titles should have priority over titles that mostly compete with what third party is already doing anyway. Today also I wouldn't trade my SingStar PS3, Buzz PS3 or PS Eye for any of these two canned titles, and to be honest I am greatly looking forward to titles with less guns and explosions.

Has there been shown anything that is realtime with 8 days?

If not, then it was probably just a clever move by Sony to get some hype around the PS3 making some very cool looking concept video's that where never meant to be made anyway

New footage of the unfortunately canceled "8 days"

http://scrawlfx.com/2008/11/eight-days-looked-insanely-good-so-why-was-it-cancelled

edit: Why on earth did they cancel THAT! It showcases better than any other game what Sony has been hyping about the PS3 and the Cell. The animation and the overall flow of the footage shown looks very natural.

So? What does that have to do with cancelling this title? It's not like you can't use this tech in like, ANY other title? Like Euphoria tech, say ... Maybe Euphoria even caught up with and overtook this tech. Maybe Uncharted 2's tech is already better than this now, or just as good. It's not like I'm seeing a lot of things in Eight Days now that couldn't just as well be in Uncharted 2 or whatever, right?

In fact, as the video seems to suggest, even Eyepet (a title which probably uses part of the budget freed by cancelling Eight Days) apparently uses this new technology already.

I'd agree with Arwin on this. It's more likely that the tech that went into 8 Days has been spread out amongst other things. Why have one eye blistering project when you can have five or six slightly less ambitious, but for a wider audience, projects?

I guess they cancelled it because despite looking good, the game was garbage.

It's really the only logical explanation.

That or, the video was just meant to generate hype for the PS3. They didn't really have anything amazing to show at that years E3 that was realtime, only CGI flicks.

Has there been shown anything that is realtime with 8 days?

If not, then it was probably just a clever move by Sony to get some hype around the PS3 making some very cool looking concept video's that where never meant to be made anyway
Check the video, that definitely looks realtime.
http://scrawlfx.com/2008/11/eight-da...s-it-cancelled

Looks a lot like Uncharted.
Too much maybe, from the gameplay point-of-view.

So? What does that have to do with cancelling this title? It's not like you can't use this tech in like, ANY other title? Like Euphoria tech, say ... Maybe Euphoria even caught up with and overtook this tech. Maybe Uncharted 2's tech is already better than this now, or just as good. It's not like I'm seeing a lot of things in Eight Days now that couldn't just as well be in Uncharted 2 or whatever, right?

In fact, as the video seems to suggest, even Eyepet (a title which probably uses part of the budget freed by cancelling Eight Days) apparently uses this new technology already.

Well, the video demonstrates Jim Jagger's work mostly for Sony, not necessarily the tech shared between these titles. There are elements in the video that I havent noticed in any of the other existing games. In particular the cover system seems more complex and there is a level of realistic interactivity with the AI partner. Uncharted 2 is an unknown factor.

Even if we assume that Eyepet shares some of the tech, the marketing impact that game can make is less.

That or, the video was just meant to generate hype for the PS3. They didn't really have anything amazing to show at that years E3 that was realtime, only CGI flicks.

The footage shown in this video was never shown at E3 publicly. That is most likely from the actual game. This is the first time we ever saw that footage. If this was used to generate hype everyone would have been familiar with it.

Actually some months ago before the game was canceled some journalist managed to see the game demonstrated in real time and "confirmed" which parts of the E3 trailer were real time or identical to that trailer in real time and which CGI.

I wonder if I'm the only who thinks SCE London's production output this gen (Singstar and a future Eye Pet) has been way lower than what you would expect from largest SCE studio.

SCE london and Studio Liverpool separate entities?

If not Wipeout HD certainly delivered

I wonder if I'm the only who thinks SCE London's production output this gen (Singstar and a future Eye Pet) has been way lower than what you would expect from largest SCE studio.

SCE London have done Home, Singstar and Buzz. Eyepet is on the way.
I think you're onto something here.

That or, the video was just meant to generate hype for the PS3.
Which video? The old E3 vid, yes. Not this new one though. This new footage is an artist's demo reel, and is clearly WIP work focussing on the game's animation. The animations are very good, but the transitions rough. My guess is what we are seeing is some Assassin's Creed type 'lots of capture sequences' for different situations, showcasing the artist's skills in character rigging and animation. The transitions weren't demonstrating any incredible blending, or any Naughty Dog style multi-part blending for variation, or any obvious sophisticated technique. The more complex sequences like the box-push could just be captures for a cutscene and not represent any behavioural physics or such. There's really not much to be gleaned about the game from this! The animation clips were each very realistic and with polish, could have been looked very effective, but that says nothing really of the rest of the game.

SCE London have done Home, Singstar and Buzz. Eyepet is on the way.
I think you're onto something here.

Their primary focus may simply be year 3 and 4 titles. While the others concentrated on year 1 and 2 (and then 5 and 6 when they're done).

Which video? The old E3 vid, yes. Not this new one though. This new footage is an artist's demo reel, and is clearly WIP work focussing on the game's animation. The animations are very good, but the transitions rough. My guess is what we are seeing is some Assassin's Creed type 'lots of capture sequences' for different situations, showcasing the artist's skills in character rigging and animation. The transitions weren't demonstrating any incredible blending, or any Naughty Dog style multi-part blending for variation, or any obvious sophisticated technique. The more complex sequences like the box-push could just be captures for a cutscene and not represent any behavioural physics or such. There's really not much to be gleaned about the game from this! The animation clips were each very realistic and with polish, could have been looked very effective, but that says nothing really of the rest of the game.

How do we know it's realtime?

There are sections with the same detail on the character with rudimentary boxes for cover. Not exactly what you'd do for a render to show off your work.

Who says?

Certainly not Insomniac who aer on record as saying every PS3 game they do from R&C onwards will be 60fps.

Devs tend to exaggerate a lot to hype up their games and get the fans blood pumping.

Back