[PS3] Demon Souls

You do more damage in soul form and no one can invade your world.

The hints are left on the floor by other online players (and aren't saved to your game or anything). Some are silly or traps but most can be helpful (especially in places where you're unsure if falls will kill you), and the bloodstains can be helpful too. Be sure to leave a hint yourself when you find something interesting (I think it's the select button, you get healed if someone recommends yours). As long as you're in soul form online play is beneficial.

Other players invading you world can still be fun though...as long as you haven't just completed the whole map and are about to fight the boss.
thanks a lot for the explanation!

how can I recommend a message?

I think it's the select button again, but while you're on top of a hint. I haven't played online in a while :)

I already did. :devilish:

I over-levelled in 4-* bullying skeleton warriors and farming moon stones (I think). Brisked through New Game+ until 1-3 and 1-4.

Nice. The character I built seems horribly ill-suited for that fight. Archery and spears are my primary means of attack. Great for regular enemies and most bosses because I generally enjoy a range advantage at the cost of a lower damage output, but this guy is too fast and too strong.

:LOL: GoW3 and DS are the exact opposite of each other. In DS, you'll need to focus 100%, don't panic or make rash moves. Sometimes, walking backwards slowly is better than rolling, even when attacked by fast ememies.

It's only the square button that's the problem, all that GoW playing has me conditioned into thinking it's for hitting things. The rest of the combat is fine, it seems to be mostly about figuring out the weaknesses in every type of enemies attack pattern.

Since this game doesn't bother to explain itself I have a question. How do you jump? A message on the floor informed me I should jump down, but I can't seem to, while I see ghosts that can.

I used the strategy guide and start playing...finished chapter 1-1, got the sword in 4-1 (silver skeletons are idiots!!) and finished chapter 2-1.

How to play Demon's Souls
================
Step 1. Hide the strategy guide. Use it only to figure out the weapons and spells you have access to, and how to upgrade.

For extra help, this is all you need:

... and summon Blue Phantom freely. Get a ranged weapon unless you really want to melee everything at your own risk. It should be obvious by now that some enemies are way too powerful for close encounter (e.g., The red and blue dragons).

royal class is cool!!)...until reaching the silver skeletons, where I died like a hundred times!!

so far, the gameplay is the best about this game: fighting is well made, although I sometimes get in troubles due to camera (especially when I am locked on an enemy). I love the counter attack with L2...this is super cool, I have to admit.

Yeah... because of the strategy guide, you're missing one of the real draws of the game. It is very good at setting up an unknown hostile world around you. Should try to explore on your own. e.g., See those treasures around the dragons. How far can you get ?

regarding the game: for my taste it is a little bit to complex, and the game does no attempts to explain stuff properly (at this point: thanks strategy guide for some help, but some stuff is curious too!):

That's how it rolls.

can someone for instance please explain me, why the strategy guide insists on this: after each demon, I should kill myself...this is a little bit annoying, as I am loosing my body, which decreases my hit points bar!? why is this important?!

Google for "World Tendency". I forgot how it works. :LOL: Will try to remember later.

regarding the story: err..is there even one?

Yap, take good care of your NPCs. If you hit them accidentally, they will remain hostile throughout the entire game. Be suspicious of them too. This is not a cookie cutter RPG.

You can roll, sprint and hop backwards with the circle-button, but you can't jump.

I just found what I was looking for in the game manual. Pushing into a small wall lets you climb up on it. That should get me where I wanted to go.Though I'm pretty sure I tried that.

I just found what I was looking for in the game manual. Pushing into a small wall lets you climb up on it. That should get me where I wanted to go.Though I'm pretty sure I tried that.

Yes, the climb up a ledge action is not very reliable. You have to try a few times.

The first time I did this was when I dropped into a new area from a ledge in 4-1. I panic'ed because I couldn't come back up and had to go forward (Had too much souls to risk dying). The game is mean like that.

When I finally died in the new area [ha ha], I went to find out how to cast a spell to go back to the Nexus. It's very helpful.

EDIT: I just remember something. In Demon's Souls, your agility depends on your weight. You can also check to see if it's easier to climb up a ledge when you lose your armor and payload. I did the experiment but can't recall the result anymore. :)

Agility depends on the weight of the equipmet on your body to be more specific (including weapons), not on the weight you are carrying in total (the two also have separate stats. Wouldn't make things too easy now would we). If you keep your equipped weight under 50% you are really fast, recover stamina more quickly and can dodge and roll without much of a penalty. If you go over 50% you will still be reasonably mobile, but noticeably more sluggish and easier to stagger. If you go over 100% you can still move, but you won't be able to roll anymore. If you try it regardless, you actually get penalized with a brief stun (that usually lasts just long enough to get you killed)

According to Atlus or some official source, you run faster without armor also -- great for outrunning danger. And most importantly, you walk quieter without metal armor. ;-)

Man, I tried yesterday world 2-2:

Did the platforming stuff and fall down, luckily...I did not die, but then has to travel through some caves with weired lava beast..after an hour or so, I finally see the day of light, but still getting stucked in a weired part of the game where this damn Patches (or what he is called) tried to trick me!
I have now over 11,000 souls and don't know where to go, or how I can get back to Nexus..knowing that a single blow could kill me, I am afraid of leaving my souls in a part of the world which I will never find again :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Knowing that there are no intermediate save points (as this game mechanic is part of the game) I can see now, that this game *could* get frustrating :mrgreen:

Hope you didn't attack patches - he sells you items back in the Nexus.

Beware that the boss of 2-2 is one of the hardest of the game ;)

Man, I tried yesterday world 2-2:

Did the platforming stuff and fall down, luckily...I did not die, but then has to travel through some caves with weired lava beast..after an hour or so, I finally see the day of light, but still getting stucked in a weired part of the game where this damn Patches (or what he is called) tried to trick me!
I have now over 11,000 souls and don't know where to go, or how I can get back to Nexus..knowing that a single blow could kill me, I am afraid of leaving my souls in a part of the world which I will never find again :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Knowing that there are no intermediate save points (as this game mechanic is part of the game) I can see now, that this game *could* get frustrating :mrgreen:

Wait a minute, are you still with Patches ? You can walk back to the Nexus. It's not far away. You're near the starting point where you fell off the wooden platform. Hope your character hasn't died yet. :devilish:

Did you find the "treasure" in the 2-2 cave ?

Ha ha, you'll get used to dying. Be careful. Take things step by step. Run if necessary. If you die,
take the left turn when you're at the junction with the exploding carts. [strike]Don't[/strike] go down the elevator and continue in the same direction as before you took the elevator (bash through the blocked tunnel). There is at least one powerful enemy along the way but you should be able to use the terrain to your advantage.

EDIT:
This....is an addictive game :)

I told you~~

I'm loving this game. It feels great killing off tons of enemies without taking a single hit after they've made your life difficult on the previous attempts.

I've just killed the first boss and got my body back. But lost it again soon after I did some exploring of the first level. I found half a tank worth of armour, it's a shame I can't use it yet because it overburdens me. And looking at the amount, that won't be any time soon.

Wait a minute, are you still with Patches ? You can walk back to the Nexus. It's not far away. You're near the starting point where you fell off the wooden platform. Hope your character hasn't died yet. :devilish:

Did you find the "treasure" in the 2-2 cave ?

Ha ha, you'll get used to dying. Be careful. Take things step by step. Run if necessary. If you die,
take the left turn when you're at the junction with the exploding carts. [strike]Don't[/strike] go down the elevator and continue in the same direction as before you took the elevator (bash through the blocked tunnel). There is at least one powerful enemy along the way but you should be able to use the terrain to your advantage.

EDIT:

I told you~~

thanks for the hint Patsu...you were right: I just took the elevator and got back to Nexus with all my Souls. First thing I did: I bought this miracle which brings you back to Nexus. My problem is, this miracle won't work? I choose it with digi cross up but the icon is dark, when I try to summon it, does nothing?! How does this work?

Afterwards, I tried the climbing again and got down to the ground, where I meet Flamelurker. Tried him 5 times..how can I summon one to help me?? How does this work?

thanks for the hint Patsu...you were right: I just took the elevator and got back to Nexus with all my Souls. First thing I did: I bought this miracle which brings you back to Nexus. My problem is, this miracle won't work? I choose it with digi cross up but the icon is dark, when I try to summon it, does nothing?! How does this work?

I think you need a Talisman to cast miracles. You'll need sufficient faith. Check your guide. :)

Afterwards, I tried the climbing again and got down to the ground, where I meet Flamelurker. Tried him 5 times..how can I summon one to help me?? How does this work?

To beat Flamelurker alone....
you may need the Purple Flame Shield and the ring of fire resistance. Then soul arrow him to death.

Keep your distance like him:

To summon Blue Phantoms, I think most of them drop their stones near the boss entrance or right after the Archstone.

You'll see "holograms" of these phantoms. Pick one that you like.

Back