[PS3] Demon Souls

Royal is the easiest class because of mana regen and ranged attack at the beginning.

If you play on Asia server, the higher level people won't be able to disturb you. But I heard you may get more invasions by players in the same level range as yourself. You may also get free drops by other experienced players.

Starting with a new server like everyone else may be more fun though. inefficient may have more input since he's on the Japanese server.

http://kotaku.com/5575189/demons-souls-actually-selling-in-europe

Demon's Souls has only just come out in Europe, after an agonising delay. If you thought the wait would mean most of the target audience would have imported and passed on the local release, though, you're dead wrong.

the game has debuted on the British charts in seventh place, an incredible achievement considering its niche appeal.

Thank you, UK gamers. If you were in PS Home, I'd probably take some time to shake your hands. :p

In this game, agility is better than armor. I think thief is easier than knight. Your choice is good.

Ranged attack is also extremely important. You might want to look for a bow. There is one on the first level castle bridge somewhere.

Royal is the best starting class. Royal starts off with the Fragnant ring that gives mana regen, silver catalyst that gives +20% max mana and the cirlcet which gives you another +20% max mana. All very helpful early in the game because you also start off with the soul arrow spell.
The royal also starts off at soul level ,1 which means you can shape the character to your liking earlier than the others.

In general the base class in DS is rather meaningless though.

Well considering that in this game you can develop any attribute as you like I think I'd prefer going with the one with the best cosmetic attributes :) . Sure playing a thief would be tougher than playing a Royal but I'm doing relatively fine till now. The worst parts are unexpected events. For example I was maybe at the midway of level 1-1 & then I entered a room only to get blasted to death. A few seconds later I realized that there were couple of drums with explosives lying inside the room right beside the door (which I couldn't see from outside) & as soon as I entered the room an undead used a firebomb on me resulting in the drums to explode.... DEAD ! (again)

Well, the cosmetic attributes are identical as well. You can obtain the thief's starting gear relatively early on.
I started with a thief as well, by the way.

damn, just bought this damn game...was on my list like forever...I hope I play it more than 5 minutes though!!
just realized that I got a neat ultimate phantom edition (only costed 55 Euros??): includig a strategy guide - I hope this helps a little...

Last edited by a moderator:
is there any gameplay difference between the EU ver & asian ver ?

Some gameplay "oddities" remain unpatched in the Asian release of the game (on purpose I assume, because the gamers have gotten used to them). As far as I know this has been addressed in the US version, which was most likely the basis for the EU version.

In the Asian version you can defeat the final boss by sneaking up behind him and casting a death cloud spell (or was it poison cloud? Not so sure anymore) Than hide in a corner and make a sandwich, or go showering or do whatever you want to kill 10 minutes. It's completely safe.

One of the toughest bosses in the game can at least be partially defeated without ever entering the fight because there's a spot were you can shoot arrows through a barrier right into his face. The dude will just sit there and take it.

This basically takes care of the 2 toughest encounters in the game.

I finally got the game. I started out as a knight. I hate the healing items use with the square button because I keep falling back into a God of War mindset, press square for quick attack. Now I'm just wasting precious healing items, even at full health, and leaving myself vulnerable to attacks.

The Black Phantom edition is nice. It has a 156 page strategy guide, a cool little artbook, and the soundtrack.

In the Asian version you can defeat the final boss by sneaking up behind him and casting a death cloud spell (or was it poison cloud? Not so sure anymore) Than hide in a corner and make a sandwich, or go showering or do whatever you want to kill 10 minutes. It's completely safe.

I'm on the US server. That's exactly what I did after he
sucked one level out of me
. I'd call it a (cruise control) feature, not a bug. :cool:

...because I keep falling back into a God of War mindset

:LOL: GoW3 and DS are the exact opposite of each other. In DS, you'll need to focus 100%, don't panic or make rash moves. Sometimes, walking backwards slowly is better than rolling, even when attacked by fast ememies.

I'm on the US server. That's exactly what I did after he
sucked one level out of me
. I'd call it a (cruise control) feature, not a bug. :cool:

Aha, so it's still possible. Interesting. Care to try cheap shooting the other boss
, Maneater,
I mentioned?

I already did. :devilish:

I over-levelled in 4-* bullying skeleton warriors and farming moon stones (I think). Brisked through New Game+ until 1-3 and 1-4.

Played some hours yesterday...

first impression: graphics shock...it shows that this is a rather old game. So first step: ignore the graphics (this game even has a lot of framerate problems)!

I used the strategy guide and start playing...finished chapter 1-1, got the sword in 4-1 (silver skeletons are idiots!!) and finished chapter 2-1.

Did not die once in the first view hours...thought it was easy (I think you guys mentioned it already: royal class is cool!!)...until reaching the silver skeletons, where I died like a hundred times!!

so far, the gameplay is the best about this game: fighting is well made, although I sometimes get in troubles due to camera (especially when I am locked on an enemy). I love the counter attack with L2...this is super cool, I have to admit.

regarding the game: for my taste it is a little bit to complex, and the game does no attempts to explain stuff properly (at this point: thanks strategy guide for some help, but some stuff is curious too!):

can someone for instance please explain me, why the strategy guide insists on this: after each demon, I should kill myself...this is a little bit annoying, as I am loosing my body, which decreases my hit points bar!? why is this important?!

regarding the story: err..is there even one?

audio-visuell....for me the game is very "muted"! graphics style is rather dark, which is maybe the best thing about graphics, sound+music...can't really remember if there is any, except the sound of the dragon flapping!

so far, I think the game is solid and I will play some more to see a little bit more of boletaria...

one question regarding online play: is there an advantage when I play online? when I play offline...do I get the hints on the floor, or is this online only?

can someone for instance please explain me, why the strategy guide insists on this: after each demon, I should kill myself...this is a little bit annoying, as I am loosing my body, which decreases my hit points bar!? why is this important?!

You do more damage in soul form and no one can invade your world.

one question regarding online play: is there an advantage when I play online? when I play offline...do I get the hints on the floor, or is this online only?

The hints are left on the floor by other online players (and aren't saved to your game or anything). Some are silly or traps but most can be helpful (especially in places where you're unsure if falls will kill you), and the bloodstains can be helpful too. Be sure to leave a hint yourself when you find something interesting (I think it's the select button, you get healed if someone recommends yours). As long as you're in soul form online play is beneficial.

Other players invading you world can still be fun though...as long as you haven't just completed the whole map and are about to fight the boss.

Back