[PS3] Demon Souls

Yes ! But I don't want to overhype it.
[size=-2]YES !!!! if you like old school RPG games.[/size]

It may not have some of the elaborate features (e.g., complex dialog tree), but the core gameplay is refreshing. The lock-on mechanics takes some getting used to. And you need to pay total attention when playing the game.

In a related news:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/14/demons-souls-sells-triple-what-atlus-usa-expected/

Atlus USA had a modest goal of 35,000 for Shin Megami Tensei: Persona. The remastered PSP game sold 49,000 units in North America. Good, but not quite Demon’s Souls. Atlus planned to sell 75,000 copies of Demon’s Souls in North America. The critically acclaimed game surpassed three times that number with 280,000 units in sales by the end of their second fiscal quarter, February 28, 2010.

EDIT: Kotaku has a picture of the EU's "Black Phantom" edition:
http://kotaku.com/5518585/demons-souls-coming-to-europe-in-a-lovely-big-box

EDIT 2:
Think now would be a good time for me to buy the game.

*Looks at upcoming SSF4 & FF13's disc*

:???:

Should try FFXIII before Demon's Souls. Otherwise, you may give up FFXIII early. :p

Wow, Demon Souls (new release) is at #1 on Amazon.co.uk's future releases, on any platform. Shocking what word of mouth can achieve.

Should try FFXIII before Demon's Souls. Otherwise, you may give up FFXIII early. :p
I'm too far in the game to give up & I certainly won't allow myself to give up the experience of Gran Pulse :love: ..in favor of Dungeon crawling :p

Gran Pulse vs Boletaria ? [Personal thoughts removed]

You play them in the right order. When you're done with Gran Pulse, go to Boletaria right away and enjoy the stark difference.

I am interested to see your response. :p

Abit too late on the EU release for me :). Haven't played this in a while, a friend burrowed it from me :(. Anyone know anything about a sequel? I would love to see another DS!

http://kotaku.com/5468419/demons-souls-2-hints

As web forum NeoGAF points out, a podcast from Japanese gaming news source Dengeki hints that a sequel for a challenging and hard game released last year would be coming out this fall. The game is said to have very "interesting" gameplay systems. Sounds like... Demon's Souls!

This is not official confirmation, however. It is from Dengeki, would could be hinting as information it has under embargo or something.

Word on the street is that Sony signed a first look deal if developer From Software made a sequel.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/04/a-frustratingly-good-deal-on-demons-souls/

If you've got $30, a PlayStation 3 and an overabundance of supernatural, zen-like patience, you seem like a perfect candidate for a deal which recently cropped up on Amazon. Atlus's notoriously punishing action-RPG Demon's Souls is now only $29.99 through the retailer. If you prefer going to stores, or buying from a different website, you can get it for the same price from GameStop.

My god this is a difficult game to get a hold off. No gamestore close to me have it, or has any plans to ever sell it. And none of the mayor online stores have it either. I finally found it on a site I've never used before. I've never had this much trouble finding some obscure japanese videogame before.

My god this is a difficult game to get a hold off. No gamestore close to me have it, or has any plans to ever sell it. And none of the mayor online stores have it either. I finally found it on a site I've never used before. I've never had this much trouble finding some obscure japanese videogame before.

What region?

Amazon US Listing. Currently in stock.

May be they only have a small run in EU. It's handled by Namco Bandai.

My friend who bought a PS3 2 weeks ago also purchased Demon's Souls and 3D Dot Heroes right away. He was afraid they go out of print. :LOL:

I think Atlus has enough DS copies out there so that more people get to enjoy it. I see it in my GameStop.

Abit too late on the EU release for me :). Haven't played this in a while, a friend burrowed it from me :(. Anyone know anything about a sequel? I would love to see another DS!

Sadly unless the game generates suficient sales and interest in either Japan or elsewhere we won't know until TGS2010 or an official announcement.
I think Sony Japan had faith in this game and what from software was able to do but outside of that with all the harsh criticisim PS3 has gotten in the US Atlus took the job.
So far I am not aware other than reviews of how coverage for this game has been in print magazine (where halo and gears get multiple cover stories under a years worth of magazine and websites are rather fickle, Demon Souls has a strong presence in online forums and its funny in an age where most widely covered and hyped games have regenerating health.

I think the difficulty of the game was way oversold, to the extent that it probably hurt the game. Death in Demon's Souls is not the equivalent of a game over in other RPGs. It doesn't consume all your progress. You keep the loot, you keep the shortcuts, and you have a shot at recovering even the unspent souls from your bloodstain. The game is designed and balanced around the death mechanic, to keep you motivated even across moments of failure. And then it's doubly rewarding when you finally do beat a section.

But since it was sold as this brutally difficult game, some of the applicable audience never bothered. You have high-profile journos such as Jeff Gerstmann refusing to even give the game a try, because they expect it to be pure punishment.

I don't think the game was marketed as hard, game review sites and magazines did that in a current game culture with too many checkpoints, regenerating health and ridiculous game play being hyped or marketed as skills based gameplay.

I still remember the days of people playing Ghouls and Ghosts twice through to completion with one quater, as well as well as R-Type and others, hell I played and beat in hard a game called kidou senshi gundam iichinen sensou ps2 a rather herculean task.

Gamers have been pointing out that some games are too easy and if they are hard they are unfair a lot of them have ridiculous gameplay.

However as you said if some game media refuses to cover the game it might as well not exist unless you walk into a game shop and find it on the shelves and question the employees.

The other sad criticisim is the call to make all games include a uniform online multiplayer or crucify a game if it does not have it unless there is bias agenda like a mediocre game that sold 7 million because the assasin had hidden claws and an attractive female was associated with making the game instead of the hairy pasty and obesse guy who created it, at least for them sequels are financed and guarranteed

The latest we have heard is this:
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/7138.html

However, as much as those fans may want a sequel, From Software says they shouldn't hold their collective breaths.

According to Examiner.com citing a podcast on Biglobe, From Software Producer Kajii and director Miyazaki have made it abundantly clear that there is no Demon's Souls 2. They also say they don't plan to do one, which definitely comes as a disappointment to those who have spent many an enjoyable hour indulging in one of the best RPGs of the generation. Of course, there was an undercurrent of very vocal complaints, all centered on the high level of difficulty. We thought it sort of affected the game's inherent accessibility but then again, given the targeted demographic, it probably didn't tick off the hardcore role-playing buffs.

Like always, thank you patsu for the links etc.

This is the saddest news I read in a long time, cannot even remember I saw it before.

Luckily, I have Assassin's Creed 3 to look forward to :rolleyes: .

Cheers...

Yes it's sad. :( The broken "Giants" archstone will remain a mystery perhaps forever. I only found the article right after reading Akumajou's post.

I hope other developers could continue the traits of Demon's Souls in other games. Was delighted when I heard about Journey. The Last Guardian looks interesting too.

I haven't tried AC2 yet. ^_^

I finally bought the game, sad thing is I got the Asian platinum version.
When I realized that the Black Edition is available at ShopTo.net for £38 I tried to cancel my order...but it was already shipped :| .Ah well...looks like I have to do with playing in a server with insanely powerful players.

Anyways which is the best (read most easiest) class to use ?

P.S.[Should I just sell this one & order the EU copy from ShopTo ?]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back