[PS3] Demon Souls

Yeah, I am super glad you guys bought the game so I can have Demon's Souls *TWO*. That will be my reward. ^_^

After all i've read, the idea of buying this game scares me. is that normal?
I would say so...got me scared too :p
But I think if I can manage with a difficulty like Ninja Gaiden's higher levels then this shouldn't be any harder to get used to after a while.

After all i've read, the idea of buying this game scares me. is that normal?

Yes. ^_^

I was scared too. The difficulty is overrated. Some see it as a horror/scary game because it can be nerve wrecking to play at times (when invaded for the first time).

The game requires full attention and patience to prevail. But the experience is special because the game design is unique. If you like RPG, I'd say at least give it a try (rent, borrow, buy, whatever !).

I have seen people take a few hours to warm up to the game (after completing Stage 1). If you play as a Royal class, then the game is not difficult because you can usually cheese your way out. The game has one of the most unique multiplayer gameplay to date. It's weaved into the single player experience, so you feel other gamers' companionship in a lonely way. ;-)

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9023027

Perhaps there's some irony in the fact that the most insightful speaker at the panel was in attendance as a Sony representative. Yeonkyung Kim plays a prominent role in the company's Japanese studio, working as a sort of international liaison for localization and licensing, and had had a number of great insights to offer regarding his experiences there. By far the most significant of these was Kim's admission that, despite great strides companies like Sony has made over the past decade in the art of localization, it's far from a perfect process. As an example, he touched on last year's surprise sleeper RPG hit, Demon's Souls. The From-developed dungeon crawler was expected to be a tiny niche project, with initial shipments of 15,000 copies. Yet it became a breakout through word-of-mouth, with current sales closing in on a quarter of a million.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/15/demons-souls-does-well-atlus-swimming-in-profit/

Atlus posted huge gains. Thanks to their North American branch, Atlus USA, the publisher made 378 million yen (roughly $4.15 million) in operating profit for the first half of their fiscal year. The figure is up 236.1% compared to the same period last year.

In the previous quarter alone, Atlus USA raked in 346 million yen ($3.81 million) in operating profit, which was a 578.5% increase compared to last year. Strong overseas sales of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona, 101-in-1 Party Megamix, and Demon’s Souls were attributed to growth.

One thing I'd love to see in a sequel is a truer co-op feature on top of what they already have. Playing through the whole game with a friend would be awesome. Fending off player invasions as a team and such would be so cool.

One thing I'd love to see in a sequel is a truer co-op feature on top of what they already have. Playing through the whole game with a friend would be awesome. Fending off player invasions as a team and such would be so cool.

That also sounds like a completely different game altogether.

Demon Souls is supposed to be about player skills and how long you can survive with no auto regenerating health, you would be surprised at some players capabilities.

That also sounds like a completely different game altogether.

Demon Souls is supposed to be about player skills and how long you can survive with no auto regenerating health, you would be surprised at some players capabilities.

Just make it exactly the same, but have two people. It would be awesome.

Gah, you can already do that in Demon's Souls today.

I think what you want is a party system for Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls sequel

I want the new Demon's Souls have automatic timezone (maybe using the patented ApocalyPS3 technology) adjusting, so that I can play with patsu without staying up until 4AM or vice versa. Ok, they would just need to send the netcode back or forth in time, but I do not see that as an big hurdle. :D

Seriously, I mostly hope the designers will NOT listen to Sony et al, but do their own thing. If they would've listened to others, we would probably have an God Of War clone with a Lady Ga Ga soundtrack in the original game.

After playing the original the other day, I can surely say that I currently do not have the patience to play it. But I would love to unlock the last few things I have not seen. It is very interesting how you need a specific mindset to play it, an absolute difference to the "let's play game Y for half an hour".

In my opinion, nowadays, there are too many non artistic people trying to feel the pulse what is wanted (it is always needed, but there needs to be an equilibrium). Because they did their own thing it became so great, not because they tried to copy the latest fad. IMO, they should just use the same approach for the second game.

What I hate, though, is that Sony will probably release the sequel even though Atlus did all the work for making the name "Demon's Souls" well known (of course From Software were taking the most of the risk).

Cheers...

I want true co-op. I want to play start to finish with a friend. Whatever you want to call that, you can't do it right now.

Like I said, that would be a completely different game, I'm not saying its not possible but you have to give the developers some credit, it takes years for a game developer to work on a game only it have it ridiculed as lacking a desired feature instead of what the game offers.

Its a survival skills based game, adding an additional player that can constantly communicate in coop like an XBox like game that you keep implying about would add layers of complexity to the way the gameplay would work and would create more problems and would not really make the game better.

My personal opinion is that such a co-op reprogrammed game would need a complete reprogramming of the video game engine by using the latest development tools, it would also require alot more time to program as well as developer experience in actually trying it out, then again if something was available like that certain people would bemoan the lack of more "features" while ignoring what the game already offers.

I don't wan't to make this comparison but R-Type and R-Type 2 were survival/skills based game where you as a player would develop your skills to the point of mastering the game in a (pun intended) godly fashion, Irem later made an R-Type game called R-Type Leo that added co-op play but even though it was technically and graphically superior as a 2d shooter, the game experienced was cheapened because the challenge the game posed could be taken for granted and quickly conquered.

What I hate, though, is that Sony will probably release the sequel even though Atlus did all the work for making the name "Demon's Souls" well known (of course From Software were taking the most of the risk).

Cheers...

Atlus was only involved in the non-Japanese version of the game, From Software did all of the ACTUAL work already.

So far there is a love hate phenomenon going on with the game with crictics bemoaning a multiplayer feature (as expected since gamers take video game development for granted these days) Sony did not publish this game pehaps for the same reason Sega chose not to publish Virtual On Oratorio Tangram in fear of flopping sales and criticisims.

In Japan a videogame like this would be appreciated for its depth but in the USA it would get crucified for being too hard my mainstream critics.

Alot of the people I know love the game for what it is and what it offers and whats funny is that alot of them prefer multiplayer games but something about Demon Souls is keeping them playing.

Demon's Souls is a proper multiplayer game. It doesn't overuse the multiplayer aspect because the developers know exactly what they want from the network experience. The network experience is completely tailored to DS's needs there. There is very little (or no) commodity/external online mechanisms in the game. They are all well-hidden and embedded.

I don't mind adding a party system for close friends to co-op, but I want the original "lonely multiplayer" experience enforced or promoted first. A friendly co-op Demon's Souls loses some of its original charm.

In Japan a videogame like this would be appreciated for its depth but in the USA it would get crucified for being too hard my mainstream critics.
I think the difficulty of the game was way oversold, to the extent that it probably hurt the game. Death in Demon's Souls is not the equivalent of a game over in other RPGs. It doesn't consume all your progress. You keep the loot, you keep the shortcuts, and you have a shot at recovering even the unspent souls from your bloodstain. The game is designed and balanced around the death mechanic, to keep you motivated even across moments of failure. And then it's doubly rewarding when you finally do beat a section.

But since it was sold as this brutally difficult game, some of the applicable audience never bothered. You have high-profile journos such as Jeff Gerstmann refusing to even give the game a try, because they expect it to be pure punishment.

Ha ha, only limited edition for EU gamers:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/16/demons-souls-only-available-as-a-limited-edition-in-europe/

Namco Bandai’s European arm officially announced Demon’s Souls today and their exclusive limited edition retail pack. This bundle contains Demon’s Souls, a soundtrack CD, a hardcover artbook, and strategy guide. Europe’s Demon’s Souls bundle appears similar to the “Stop Importing It” edition Atlus released last year. However, Namco Bandai promises a new artbook and strategy guide.

Back