PS3 and Automatic Scaling.

Only the HD standard requires 16:9 WIDESCREEN, 1024x768 is 4:3.

Ding Ding Ding!! HD-Ready plasmas like the Panasonic ones have non-square pixels.

Really, you won't win this argument with me because i have been through it many times on the AVForums.

Great my 2 year old CRT HDTV from Samsung is 1080i only :mad:

I talked to a few guys at work today, and they all got their sets a couple years ago, and none of them have 720p support either. The response I got was pretty much, "Hell, I'm not getting a PS3 until they fix that."

Though by the time PS3s are actually available without waiting in line, maybe this will all be taken care of. :)

Ok, so maybe this problem is mostly a big deal for those who didn't buy their HDTVs in the last 6 months. There's quite a few people in that situation though and I'm betting most of them don't particularly want to replace their HDTVs yet. I'm holding off on upgrading mine to see which of the various new display technologies that have been talked about for the last few years actually pans out to be the best, and also for the prices to drop further.

I completely understand that people are using old sets and dont want to upgrade them, why fix it if its not broke? But bashing Sony because there old set only does 1080i is quite frankly, silly. There old sets and there not going to be up-to date in terms of specs and functionality. And for future displays? OLED is IMO and from what ive seen of it perhaps the most promishing, just got to wait for it become affordable. And Brightside are working on reducing the costs on there "true" HDR displays.

You've got one that's from 2004 that doesn't do 720p? What's the model?

I will have to check that and get back with you as I am at work. I am 99% sure it does not do 720p. It was one of Sammy's first 30in HDTV CRTs.

Ding Ding Ding!! HD-Ready plasmas like the Panasonic ones have non-square pixels.

Really, you won't win this argument with me because i have been through it many times on the AVForums.

:LOL: Ive been in the HIGH-END Home Cinema industry for over 8yrs, dont argue with me TBH ;)

I completely understand that people are using old sets and dont want to upgrade them, why fix it if its not broke? But bashing Sony because there old set only does 1080i is quite frankly, silly.

Come on, it's silly not have the system scale to your desired HD resolution, or at least mandate that all games support all 3 HD resolutions. There's just no excuse for that, seems like a big oversight.

The HD standard is aload of rubbish, ive seen TV's for sale in currys that have HD-READY stamped all over the display and its box, then it says the displays native resolution is 640x480 ( not even widescreen either ) Companys know that if they stamp "HD-READY" all over there not so HD-READY display they'll sell more.

I find that hard to believe, but if you really have seen TVs with the HD-Ready logo, and after inspection you have seen that they have 640*480 resolution, legally you could even sue Currys or whatever the manufacturer is for false advertising.

The HD-Ready standard is not rubbish, or are you saying that "it's rubbish anyway" only because i just proved you wrong?

Really immature vibes i get from you.

:LOL: Ive been in the HIGH-END Home Cinema industry for over 8yrs, dont argue with me TBH ;)

Doesn't change the fact that you (like many other confused consumers) do not know that the plasma TVs sold by the likes of Panasonic ARE fully HD-Ready, with a resolution of 1024*768 non-square pixels.
Whether you have been to the Ultra High End Premium Car Boot Sale Special Bingo or not, it's very simple. And underlining, bolding and putting stars around it won't make it any more special.

I find that hard to believe, but if you really have seen TVs with the HD-Ready logo, and after inspection you have seen that they have 640*480 resolution, legally you could even sue Currys or whatever the manufacturer is for false advertising.

The HD-Ready standard is not rubbish, or are you saying that "it's rubbish anyway" only because i just proved you wrong?

Really immature vibes i get from you.

Link

TV above, advertised as HD-READY, has according to specs, a resolution lower then 1280x720. Best start your law suit against Currys ;)

One of the funnyest and most often asked question i get asked by a customer is " Why are you DVD players over £900, when currys have them for as little as £30 "

Its make me chuckle inside everytime i get asked that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't change the fact that you (like many other confused consumers) do not know that the plasma TVs sold by the likes of Panasonic ARE fully HD-Ready, with a resolution of 1024*768 non-square pixels.
Whether you have been to the Ultra High End Premium Car Boot Sale Special Bingo or not, it's very simple. And underlining, bolding and putting stars around it won't make it any more special.

How many total pixels is 720p, and how many is a "non-square pixel" 1024x768 display?

Link

TV above, advertised as HD-READY, has according to specs, a resolution lower then 1280x720. Best start your law suit against Currys ;)

One of the funnyest and most often asked question i get asked by a customer is " Why are you DVD players over £900, when currys have them for as little as £30 "

Its make me chuckle inside everytime i get asked that.

Please do tell me where you see HD-Ready in that page.

There is "High definition" (legally doesn't mean anything in europe). You might even find "HD-Compatible" (Which means that the set can accept HD resolutions but won't be able to display them). But not HD-Ready.

Case closed.

How many total pixels is 720p, and how many is a "non-square pixel" 1024x768 display?

Look, this is the last time we're going off-topic for this.

HD-Ready has nothing to do with this thread because Europe and HD-Ready TVs won't be affected by the problem at hand. Still not sure why you brought it up.

The point here is not about how many pixels you need, or whether you firmly believe that 1024*768 is not HD.

The point here is that the HD-Standard has certain restrictions. According to those restrictions (which were obviously heavily influenced by manufacturers to make sure their sets fit the standard) the 1024*768 plasmas sold with the HD-Ready logo ARE fully compliant with the standard. That's it really. Doesn't matter how many pixels it has, doesn't matter how many high end car boot sales you have attended, it's simple law.

The point here is not about how many pixels you need, or whether you firmly believe that 1024*768 is not HD.

Real HD : 1280x720 = 921, 600 pixels

Your HD : 1024x768 = 786, 432 pixels

Play some native 720p video on either display, i know witch one will look sharper and show more detail.

Look you're not getting the point across so i'll leave it here.

Put it this way then, we put 2 TV's side by side and TV number 1 has a native panel resolution of 1280x720 and a pixel aspect ratio of 16:9. TV number 2 has a native panel resolution of 1024x768 with a pixel aspect ratio of 4:3.

Now we play a native 720p film on both sets, the film has been recorded at a resolution of 1280x720 and has a pixel aspect ratio of 16:9, what set is the film gonna look better on?

Put it this way then, we put 2 TV's side by side and TV number 1 has a native panel resolution of 1280x720 and a pixel aspect ratio of 16:9. TV number 2 has a native panel resolution of 1024x768 with a pixel aspect ratio of 4:3.

Now we play a native 720p film on both sets, the film has been recorded at a resolution of 1280x720 and has a pixel aspect ratio of 16:9, what set is the film gonna look better on?

I have never argued which ones will look better!

Do you understand my point was merely about what is and what isn't HD-Ready? Jesus i have even given you the license agreement from EISA to prove my point! And you ahve proved my point by linking a page showing a 1024*768 plasma which is HD-Ready!

Back