PS3 and Automatic Scaling.

I might be confusing things, but did I read somewhere that PS3 does scale up to 1080p even if the game outputs 720p? If this is true, I don't see why it would be hard to output 1080i instead.

Of course I could have misread something.

I didn't know there are few CRT HDTV's (RP or direct view) that support 720p. A lot of hardcore HT enthusiasts still prefer CRT to any fixed panel technology.

Nope PS3 doesn't do any scaling for games, it's up to the developer to support specific formats, if they just support 720p and your set doesn't you are just out of luck.

Of course if your set actually supports 1080p, it almost certainly has a scaler than will convert a 720p signal.

Thanks ERP. It probably was confusion with a 1080p set which did the scaling and described incorrectly in the blurb I saw.

nonamer, external scalers aren't mass market items. It's a niche market reserved for only the pickiest of HT enthusiasts. They usually cost quite a bit as far as I can remember.

I've always been interested in DLP and SXRD so I had no idea lack of 720p input was so prevalent. But it makes sense now. All cable/sattelite boxes and DVD players, up until a couple years ago, output either 1080i or 480p/i (even for 720p channels). Since the phospors on a TV can only have one decay constant, it makes sense to tune them to 1/30th of a second for an interlaced electron beam.

I might be confusing things, but did I read somewhere that PS3 does scale up to 1080p even if the game outputs 720p? If this is true, I don't see why it would be hard to output 1080i instead....

maybe you were thinking X360 as that does do that now since the firmware update

Sorry for bumping this but now i'm curious.

Does the PS3 upscale to 1080p or not? From what i've been reading it seems the problem is JUST 1080i, but it does upscale to 1080p if u set it to that in the XMB settings right.

Yet some of you here say it doesn't upscale. Has anyone actually tested this?

Does the PS3 upscale to 1080p or not? From what i've been reading it seems the problem is JUST 1080i, but it does upscale to 1080p if u set it to that in the XMB settings right.

If a game is not designed to render at 1080p, it will not upscale to 1080p, however in order to view anything in 1080p, you need a 1080p capable TV which SHOULD scale to 1080p from any source anyway so 1080p is not an issue with this "scaler" situation.

otherwise the PS3 will only display at the resolutions designed by the game designers.

I can't realy answer your question but i will go out on a limb here and say there wouldn't be a need for ps3 to upscale to 1080P your 1080P tv set should take care of that...

It doesn't, but this doesn't matter because any TV capable of accepting 1080p input is capable of scaling all SD and HD resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) to its native resolution.

We (ie. a few friends and I) have done some testing using the PS3 and a number of HD displays available to us including Samsung DLP, Polariod plasma, LG LCD, Dell LCD monitor, Toshiba CRT HD Projection, and RCA CRT Tube. Based on our, admittedly limited, sampling the lack of internal scaling definitely created a number of issues for us. One of our sets was limited to 720p via component, which was very strange, and while looking great with our test games, was utterly unable to play Blu-ray content which apparently only output at 1080i/p? An other was limited to 1080i, so movies yes and games no. It was the oldest TV of the bunch, and probably the most common case limitation on older HD sets.

Every other display was capable of accepting every input signal needed and scale it. But even in these scenarios all is not perfect. Switching resolutions causes the screen to black out while re-syncing, a minor nuisance. But every once in a while, they wouldn't sync back properly, requiring the always fun reboot. The worst thing we noticed, is that on all but one display, changing resolutions effected brightness and contrast. If we adjusted the display to be optimal for HD playback, games were too dark. Adjust for game play and HD playback becomes slightly washed out. We also noticed some sets without a "game mode" type option, had differences in processing speeds at different resolutions requiring us to manually change our A/V delay sync to avoid lip sync issues, etc. For us, it was more difficult to notice audio delay in games than in films, so I would tune for 1080i/p and deal with 720p.

I know a lot of people think the lack of being able to provide a consistent display rate isn't a big deal, since most newer sets can adjust. But I find it annoying and it exactly like XBox 1 in that regard, luckily the TV landscape has improved in the last 4 years.

Good Test Rockster.

I guess you where using component cables and not hdmi ?.

The brightness issue on different resolutions got me thinking of the limits in the analog cables an subject that i haven't seen in any threads.

Good Test Rockster.

I guess you where using component cables and not hdmi ?.

The brightness issue on different resolutions got me thinking of the limits in the analog cables an subject that i haven't seen in any threads.

This is the same question I have. It does make a difference for many TVs what kind of input you use. Also, don't you have the exact type numbers of these TVs? E.g. my Samsung would be the Samsung LE32N71P (or LA32N71P in the U.S.)

Doesn't internal scaling introduce latency which is not preferable for realtime games?

For example, the new AQUOS HDTV Game Players Series (models LC-37GP1U, LC-32GP1U) have a feature called “Vyper Driveâ€￾ which omits unnecessary steps in its video engine to kill the latency as games don't need MPEG noise reduction and such unlike video sources such as DVD and cable TV.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20070108005639&newsLang=en

Doesn't internal scaling introduce latency which is not preferable for realtime games?

It depends on the quality of the scaler of course. Some sets have good scalers others don't.

It's one of the reasons MS decided they wanted one in the box...

The theory is that if the games console does the scaling there will be no lag. However if you rely on the TV to do it, chances are there will be.

Considering that there is only 1 console that supports scaling, its kind of impossible to generalize about it, other than you'd assume if a console scaled, it wouldn't introduce lag.

Back