New Playstation Plus Subscription Tiers [2022-03-29]

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...DWTN37POjquu4Yoy1fNQ_gnNNU-E0fKIw#sf255029422

This is interesting. PS1, PS2 and PSP games (where is VITA) will be available for download on the premium. PS3 will be streamed. Which means the PS5 will have BC and it is a shame that we cant use our disks. Does the PS5 read CDs btw?

I am very curious what enhamncements will be offered if any for those games.
PlayStation Plus Essential
  • Benefits:
    • Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
      • Two monthly downloadable games
      • Exclusive discounts
      • Cloud storage for saved games
      • Online multiplayer access
    • There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.
  • Price* for PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus.
    • United States
      • $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly
PlayStation Plus Extra
  • Benefits:
    • Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
    • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
  • Price*:
    • United States
      • $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly
PlayStation Plus Premium**
  • Benefits:
    • Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
    • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
      • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
      • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
    • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
    • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
  • Price*:
    • United States
      • $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe (Select Markets) For markets without cloud streaming, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be offered at a lower price compared to Premium, and includes a catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play, along with time-limited game trials. Benefits from Essential and Extra tiers are also included. Local pricing will vary by market.

So they went with structure more closely resembling Nintendo Switch Online, with higher tier levels.

Seems like where MS goes , Sony follows and then gets credit. Sony is the apple of the console world lol.

I think this is good for Fans of sony's console. I think its about time that fans can get access to all the classic games. I do wonder why ps3 is only streaming however. The ps5 has to be powerful enough for it to run emulated on the console no ?

Interesting that the yearly price is a flat $5 a month discount and not a normal percentage off. That means you save 50% on the lowest tier, 45% on the mid tier, and 33% on the highest tier if you pay for a year in advance.

It's hard to assess value when you don't know what games are being offered, but 400 and 740 "free" games is nothing to scoff at. Their verbiage is the opposite of Microsoft's, though, who advertise "Over 100" games for gamepass when it's really over 300. Meanwhile Sony is stating "Up to 400" and "Up to 340". If I were in charge of rolling this out I would have wanted the "Over" verbiage even if the numbers were a little lower, and I would have made the announcement with some top tier games, even if it's just first party stuff. I also would have moved the demos to a lower tier. The point of those is to get people to buy stuff, so you want as many people playing them as possible. You could even demo games that are in the higher tier so when people want to buy, you can give them an option of upgrading to the next level tier.

All in all, though, this isn't bad.

Wait , I just noticed that Premium is more expensive than game pass ultimate ? $18 vs $15?
It does have more games, though. There's usually about 500 games on Gamepass counting unique PC and Xbox titles (or, not counting the games that are on both twice), and Premium would have "up to" 750.

Seems like where MS goes , Sony follows and then gets credit. Sony is the apple of the console world lol.

I'm not exactly sure that's the case. I've seen many Streamers call it a poor copy of MS's GamePass since Sony aren't launching their 1st party games simultaneously on the service as MS are doing. A few even going so far as to wonder what the point of Sony's service is if their 1st party games aren't coming to the service when those games are released (totally unfair, IMO)?

From my POV, it's a good start and probably a good service depending on what games arrive on the service. I mean if Life of Black Tiger is featured on the service it'll be hard for any competing service to match up. ;) Seriously, though, I could see Sony counteracting the drawback of no day and date 1st party launches by maybe getting more AAA games onto the service. IMO, that's not a great usage of a subscription service (the AA and indie games are the real gems of a subscription service), but it would certainly make the service more "visible" and some gamers might see that as more attractive.

Regards,
SB

It does have more games, though. There's usually about 500 games on Gamepass counting unique PC and Xbox titles (or, not counting the games that are on both twice), and Premium would have "up to" 750.

You can't stream all those games , you also don't get day 1 games.

I'm not exactly sure that's the case. I've seen many Streamers call it a poor copy of MS's GamePass since Sony aren't launching their 1st party games simultaneously on the service as MS are doing. A few even going so far as to wonder what the point of Sony's service is if their 1st party games aren't coming to the service when those games are released (totally unfair, IMO)?

From my POV, it's a good start and probably a good service depending on what games arrive on the service. I mean if Life of Black Tiger is featured on the service it'll be hard for any competing service to match up. ;) Seriously, though, I could see Sony counteracting the drawback of no day and date 1st party launches by maybe getting more AAA games onto the service. IMO, that's not a great usage of a subscription service (the AA and indie games are the real gems of a subscription service), but it would certainly make the service more "visible" and some gamers might see that as more attractive.

Regards,
SB

We will just have to see what happens. So far for the premium price it doesn't seem like a great deal.

They're already around or over 700 games, so what new ones have been added to get upto 740? I think they added 2 PS5 titles. Are the remaining handful PS1 titles?

You can't stream all those games , you also don't get day 1 games.
You can't stream every game on Gamepass either, and it's annoying. Also, I would be we get some day 1 games, just not 1st party stuff or AAA stuff. Well, maybe some smaller first party stuff like they did with Destruction All Stars. But not AAA stuff.

Those suck. What I really want is to buy just one or 2 services.
They're already around or over 700 games, so what new ones have been added to get upto 740? I think they added 2 PS5 titles. Are the remaining handful PS1 titles?
Probably, and PSP games. Don't you dare forget about PSP gaming! :LOL:

For the service to improve further, I’d like to see all first party games on it. no Day One? Ok. Fine then give an approximate deadline when it will arrive. If not people are just hoping it will come one day. That sort of sucks.
For there to be no consistency in which titles come to and don’t come to the service is currently the major downer with this service; it’s effectively another variant of PS Plus

I wish we had confirmation on Vita games as well.
I want to know:
1) will purchases of retro games be available for all?
2) any visual enhancements on retro games?
3) how about allowing us to use our old game disks?

Up to 740 games, wonder what games that are. Its a high number. Their AAA first party shouldve been there and stream-able as thats one of the main things that make the PS(5) console.

Not really. For that many things would have to be very, very different to what they are today. Its probably something that wouldnt fit all that well in the current model that Sony is going for today, the multi-genre, comprehensive gaming market. Theyd have to shift to be great at one thing and underperform at basically everything else for (much) more money and have their audience aggressively try to undermine everything where the competing team excells at. Loudly. Even if they aim at totally different markets to begin with.

Sony’s PR team isn’t either in that direction. They didnt (and wouldnt get away with) claiming their hw would compete with a 3090 because their console can encode some media files just as fast. They’d probably never get away with it.

So no, calling Sony for the Apple of the console world is really a stretch, and abit of an insult to the Japanese brand.

Their new service isn’t a ’gamepass’ per-se, it does seem like an extension or upgrade to the current ps plus subscribtion. The retro games is sure a nice feature, in special PS1/PS2. Maybe i wont need emulators and fat ps2’s with HDD’s anymore :p

Last edited:
Back