New Playstation Plus Subscription Tiers [2022-03-29]

I am pretty disappointed in Sony for making such a crap emulation implementation. I would be interested in some of these games, but this is just crap. I guess I will go pirate instead.

and these classics are part of PS Plus right? So "claim/redeem" the games on PSN, then play the pirated version via a much better emulator?

or this is actually really bad as claiming/redeeming could also become a statistic for sony saying "huh, even with our crappy emulator, people still willing, no need to upgrade our effort then"?

EDIT
now i want to make PS1 emulator: PS5 vs Xbox Series S comparison video
XSS@4K | PS5 | XSS + Retroarch in HDR with HDR crt shader

or someone already made them?

Last edited:
And this one of another example you cited, Tomb Raider. We see the pixelated rendering of the low video, the pixelated loading screen, and then clean, crisp geometry the moment we start rendering the game properly:

What's more interesting is we can see the 2D upscaling in effect on the textures, producing the classic 'blobbiness' of 2D upscaling that is completely absent from the geometry.
Interesting that we see the culling in work on the edges of the screen probably due to the emulators ability to display on widescreen, outside the boundaries of the original sceens.

But we see sometimes the normal culling in effect as well right in front of the character when geometry overlaps another.

I'm sure I recall reading something along the lines of Sony not bothering with back catalogs much on PS3 was due to lack of commercial interest. It's all about the money with these greedy bastards.

I don't think a better emulator would cost more, it is just the organizational effort that is needed. I mean, only a fracking idiot would put a crappy scan line filter on a PSP emulator.

I don't think a better emulator would cost more, it is just the organizational effort that is needed. I mean, only a fracking idiot would put a crappy scan line filter on a PSP emulator.
Even though I don't emulate PSP games it probably wouldn't be my first choice. But if it was a quick'n'dirty implementation (which I bet it was) then one of the simplest things to do to hide lack of resolution is to use a filter which hides resolution - or at least half of it.

I think it's fairly clear that Sony has not prioritised this or given it anything above absolute minimum effort. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I see these have now launched outside of Asia. I just upgraded to the Premium account so I could have a poke around.

Edit*

So far I have grabbed Returnal and Demon Souls, I'll give the streaming gaming a go later on - there's quite a selection already.

Last edited:
So I noticed a delightful surprise today in the service.
I have only the Playstation Plus Essential subscription. So I need to upgrade to have access to PS1 games.
Regardless I went into the Store and checked the service's PS1 games.
To my surprise Jumping Flash didnt require an upgrade nor purchase. And the reason was that, the Store "remembered" that I bought Jumping Flash back in the PS3 days, so I owned it.
I am curious why Sony isn't carrying the whole library of PSOne games available on PS3's store. Some of these games are even Sony's properties so this shouldnt be a licensing problem.

I have only the Playstation Plus Essential subscription. So I need to upgrade to have access to PS1 games.
To my surprise Jumping Flash didnt require an upgrade nor purchase. And the reason was that, the Store "remembered" that I bought Jumping Flash back in the PS3 days, so I owned it.
I am curious why Sony isn't carrying the whole library of PSOne games available on PS3's store. Some of these games are even Sony's properties so this shouldnt be a licensing problem.
This was announced a while ago. I haven't checked the list of available games against what I own as PS1 classics, but from memory, I have none of the games available on the service.

This was announced a while ago. I haven't checked the list of available games against what I own as PS1 classics, but from memory, I have none of the games available on the service.
Yeah I must have missed it.
I hope they add Castlevania, Wipeout and Warhawk back

Depending on what assets were used in the game, Sony may own the IP and the game itself but they may not own the rights to all assets used in the game. The most common things that will trip up future releases would be music, voice actor voices, any likenesses to real people (like actors), libraries (example, 3rd party IP copyrighted libraries for something like say audio reproduction, physics, video compression/decompression, etc.).

Older games can be an absolute mess WRT licensed content, asset, libraries, etc. Usually it's not a problem to re-license most of the stuff, but occasionally a music artist or voice actor might demand more than is worth it to re-release or even redistribute (see next 2 paragraphs) a game or it may be in question as to who owns the license for something with multiple parties claiming ownership of a license.

Modern games sold in digital storefronts are largely protected from this WRT consumers being able to re-download games that they have purchased on the store since all modern digital storefronts should be now include language in their contracts that stipulates that they own all rights for any game sold to a customer of that platform in perpetuity so long as the game is only redistributed to the person that purchased the game.

Older games bought in a digital storefront may not have that protection as not all digital storefronts had that language in their contracts (Steam/Valve was the first to demand those rights prior to allowing a game to be sold on their storefront).

As well, most modern publishers will attempt to secure the rights to as much of the content in their games as possible, but even now it can sometimes be impossible. For example, if you include copyrighted music from a popular music artist they may refuse to grant long term rights to their content used in a game.

Of course, that doesn't help older games much.

Regards,
SB

I got really close to buying The Quary over Christmas, but there it is for the taking! :yes:

Btw to my disappointment this doesnt hold true for ALL PSOne games. Resident Evil Director's Cut was purchased on my PS3, but this isnt allowed for me to download on PS5

Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection
Tchia
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Extraction
Ghostwire Tokyo
Life Is Strange: True Colors
Immortals Fenyx Rising
Life is Strange 2
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
Street Fighter V Champion Edition
Untitled Goose Game
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Rage 2
Neo: The World Ends with You
Haven

Ridge Racer Type 4
Ape Escape Academy 2
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror

Last edited:

PS Plus is Losing 32 Games Soon

PlayStation Plus subscribers who are signed up for the Extra and Premium tiers will lose access to 32 games soon. It’s normal that some PS Plus games are delisted sometimes, but this time, the list is extensive, and it includes a few first-party blockbusters such as Marvel's Spider-Man.

Huh, weird that first party games are being removed. I wonder if it's because it's a Marvel IP and they have to pay Marvel extra licensing rights to keep Spider-Man on there?

Regards,
SB

Back