Project Gotham Racing 3 Designer Diary #1 (new screens!)

A new level of realism
When we say real cars in real environments, we're aiming as high as we can get! As you'd expect with the next generation of consoles, PGR3's graphics have been improved on all fronts, but to a level which sometimes amazes even us! The new standard is high-definition and Dolby 5.1, and we're no exception. Expect 720p graphics and full 5.1 surround sound, as well as widescreen support for those who want it. Don't worry if you don't have all of this newfangled technology in your living room, though... The team has been working hard to make PGR3 look absolutely excellent on a regular TV as well.

Read the story here

927245_20051014_screen001.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/286/reviews/927245_20051014_screen002.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/286/reviews/927245_20051014_screen003.jpg

Great car reflection. Damn this game looks so good. Must......resist........on.......buying.......sys.........tem
Oh it's hard while seeing this game.

scooby_dooby said:
Oooh..realtime car on car reflections:

Where's Jawed? He's been wating to see that for a while....

The "Stallion" icon looks a lot better rendered and higher detail than the brake lights. I like where they place their priorities. ;)

dukmahsik said:
resistance is futile! :D
thats funny, because if i pay 20 millions to a developer to make a game EXCLUSIVE to my current PC hardware, the results would be no less impressive as those.

that so called "resistance" is possible everywhere, 360 is one of them.

dont know if you were joking (coming from teamxbox as you do, i guess not), but if you were, let me tell you, that starts to get annoying (pretending there's no contenders to those graphics)

dskneo said:
thats funny, because if i pay 20 millions to a developer to make a game EXCLUSIVE to my current PC hardware, the results would be no less impressive as those.

dont know if you were joking (coming from teamxbox as you do, i guess not), but if you were, let me tell you, that starts to get annoying (pretending there's no contenders to those graphics)

wow just wow even the smilie evaded you

dskneo said:

as much as I would like to believe that I don't think so, they avg about 100,00 polies per car and they have large detailed cities

they are probably rendering over a 1,000,000, polies per frame plus shaders and and all types of backbuffer effects

I think the 360 will be the only thing that is going to have games looking that good until next year sometime

come on..... Dual-core's X2 4800+ with limiteless Ram,, SLi'ed 7800gtx's (512mb for graphics alone!)...
current high-end PC configurations are way more powerfull than one likes to imagine.

Neither X360 or PS3 cant match the graphical power of a SLI Rig. (i cant besure on this for PS3, yet... cant talk about what i dont know)

its no secret

That would be great in the magical world where Developers develop solely and exclusively for top of the line Gaming Rigs....

Now, welcome back to reality.

dskneo said:
i did saw that smile and thought about it alot... but
But nothing. dukmahsik and Mckmas were clearly teasing eachother nicely and you turned this thread toward the negative.
mckmas said:
Great car reflection. Damn this game looks so good. Must......resist........on.......buying.......sys. ........tem
Oh it's hard while seeing this game.
dukmahsik said:
resistance is futile! :D
Your point is to be negative for the sake of negativity. Quite a few people think this is the best looking game coming to the market this fall. Feel free to disagree--opinions are debatable and there is no crime in honestly disagreeing--but check the attitude and negativity at the door.

OT: In the recent Bizarre article they mentioned their cube maps could include others cars. I was thinking that must have been an error since we have not, to my recollection, seen a car reflecting another car in game yet.

This is a pleasant surprise. It seems they keep adding quite intensive rendering techniques to the game. I am getting the feeling the game is not necessarily GPU limited. If it were you could cut out the extra pass for the car or the heat haze or other very minor things and bump up the frame rate a bit.

dskneo said:

You let us know when that happens won't you?

This is by far the best looking game coming out this year including F.E.A.R. I know I shouldn't compare racing games to action suspense games but it's the truth.

mckmas8808 said:
This is by far the best looking game coming out this year including F.E.A.R. I know I shouldn't compare racing games to action suspense games but it's the truth.

i find fear to be an ugly game actually .

^Ugh, just looking at that scene makes me feel bad for how badly its going to torture my PC. Add some slomo and my PC might just turn into a stargate and implode.

mckmas8808 said:
Hold on you took it extremly too far.
I kind of agree ;)

F.E.A.R. is a technically excellent title. Where it grinds on me is the art, which i think is very plain, dark, and boring (not to mention repetitive) and everything feels "square". Ugly is a word that has come to mind more than once. The world has a lot of 90 degree corners. The picture from Wunderchu is a good example of how many stiff angles there are.

I am a big believer that graphics is the sum of visuals and animation; visuals being that fine dance between art direction, art assets/quality/diversity and technology and reaching that fine balance. On the one end, the technological end, F.E.A.R. is a good example of the evolution of FPS graphics and is technically excellent and at the front of the pack. On the more subjective "art" end of the spectrum I would say F.E.A.R. did not excite me at all.

The big three from last year (Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry) all had a really nice balance of technology and art. They all leaned in different directions in regards to technology but then chose a theme that fit that technology well to show case it and then worked hard to build art assets that filled their word.

I just don't get that from F.E.A.R. That is my opinion of course, so feel free to disagree ;) Games, like HL2, D3, and FC, if you turn down the visual features you get a really pretty game due to the variety of the art. HL2 in DX7 mode is still HL2. You turn down the features in F.E.A.R. and, IMO, the art does not carry it very far.

Graphically I prefer CS:Source. F.E.A.R. is more technically advanced but the end product, what you see on the screen, I much prefer CS:Source. Not to mention it runs better (and plays better imo, at least the MP).

Looking at pictures is no longer of any importance this gen .

When you play a game you see all its flaws .

Now i admit my computer isn't the best (Athlon 64 3000+ at 2.4ghz socket 754 , 1.5 gigs of ram , x800xt pe , audigy sound card 16 meg cache 10k rpm drive) But its no slouch either and the game just doesn't look great while playing . Its on graphics par with half life 2 in some cases it does look better and in some cases it doesn't .

Personaly i think black and white 2 is a much better looking game

Back