PS2 Normal Mapping?: The Matrix: Path of Neo Screens, Info.

Nirey

Newcomer
GameSpot:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/thematrixthepathofneo/preview_6124072.html

"Perry was also quick to point out that although the new game is being powered by the same technology used for Enter the Matrix, the engine has been enhanced considerably. Stating that "there's still a lot of life in the PS2," Perry showed off several examples of the Shiny team squeezing some impressive effects out of current-generation-console hardware. Not only were we shown several highly detailed environments adorned with fog, dynamic lighting, and light bloom (environments that are being developed with the help of The Matrix production teams), but we also watched a re-creation of the city park fight scene from The Matrix Reloaded. For those who missed the motion picture, this particular fight scene pitted Keanu Reeves' Neo against hundreds of carbon copies of actor Hugo Weaving's Agent Smith character. As we saw for ourselves, the Shiny team has somehow managed to cram about 1,500 Agent Smith characters onscreen at once for this scene. The new engine also accounts for special effects like real-time distortion. As a result, you'll see it used for both slow-motion bullet trails and the wake that Neo leaves after he takes off from the ground to fly. It even allows for destructible environments, a crucial feature for the lobby shoot-out scene, which, as we saw, includes cement pillars that can be chewed to bits by gunfire. The Matrix: Path of Neo seems like a great improvement over Enter the Matrix, and it will be released this winter for the PC, PlayStation 2, and Xbox."

926491_20050510_screen001.jpg

926491_20050510_screen002.jpg

926491_20050510_screen003.jpg

IGN:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/611/611395p1.html

"The visuals were extremely beautiful and acted as the catalyst to my eventual excitement. Path of Neo does things on PS2 previously thought impossible. Normal Mapping, for example, was shown to be entirely feasible on Sony's aging machine via a cool spotlight hitting a brick wall demo. For the unfamiliar, Normal Mapping is a technique that's used to add shading to without using polygons, but rather than calculate on a single channel as bump mapping does, it calculates on multiple channels --creating realistic shadow and lighting effects that are usually only reserved for high-end Xbox ports. Other cool visual tricks, like light blooming, depth of field, reflection mapping, and other such buzz words were turned on to full effect for a result that was nothing less than beautiful."

Video Interview with Dave Perry:

Download it:
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/696/696714/vids_1.html

Stream it:
Link

the screens look pretty average to me even though they don't have the ps2 fuzz on them and how is the beam in the second pic still standing :?:

My eyes, they burn!!! :oops: :oops:

Now that your engine is half-decent you should invest in some artists, Perry.

Well, according to IGN, who had the chance to sit with the creator for demonstration, this game "has the potential to go head-to-head visually with God of War."

But I doubt that, though. Sure it looks great, but I don't think it would end up as [visually] stanning as God of War. And I think one of reason would be because the art direction is to far apart, IMO. Plus, from my understanding, they (both IGN and GS) only get to see the game on action. They haven't actually played the game themselves. So there's the question of gameplay.

Now, now. Plz don't think I'm downgrading the game base on Shiny's last effort. I'm actually quite excited about this game. Let's just hope, which seems they do, "have more than time" to tweak everything up. Because I don't want to play like the game like Neo.

- Z

blakjedi said:
so...what special is the team doing with xbox? :?:
They replaced the circle in the top of the unit to be a coffee warmer. Can't do that with a PS2 debug kit.
It's a clear example of the power of X.

pegisys said:
and how is the beam in the second pic still standing :?:
You've never worked with wood have you? :D It's not like stone masonry you know where you stack big blocks and they stay in place due to their weight. Instead you attach the wooden pillars in both ends, so in this case it'd be hanging from the ceiling. :D

blakjedi said:
so...what special is the team doing with xbox? :?:

Nothing, they are like the folks from Area 51, they rave about the things they are doing with the Ps2, because they know that on the Xbox front, it will just be average looking.

Wow, you guys are a tough crowd! :) I think the game looks great - very faithful to the movies. If the gameplay stands up, I'm in!

Oh, and, uh, normal mapping on PS2? Will wonders never cease! :p

Kolgar said:
Wow, you guys are a tough crowd! :) I think the game looks great - very faithful to the movies. If the gameplay stands up, I'm in!

Oh, and, uh, normal mapping on PS2? Will wonders never cease! :p

Remove the AA from those screens (cause it wont be on PS2) and resize them to 640x480 (cause the game will run at that res) and you'll see how this game will look like crap. PS2 has so many better looking games than this it's not even funny. Textures and polygon counts are just 2002 kind of material for PS2. God of War or Jak3 are on another universe in terms of visuals.
Or maybe that's just me. Those screens are not exactly pretty afterall, the final game might look better.

Re: PS2 Normal Mapping?: The Matrix: Path of Neo Screens, In

Nirey said:

Sorry, just look at the floor there at what is supposed to be (I assume) the debris from the wooden beam breaking.

Two things:
1) That looks awful
2) That also looks like part of the floor texture as opposed to a seperate entity, so how does that figure into their "destructible environment"?

I'm failing to see anything particularly pretty in those screenshots and as others have said, it's exceptionally difficult to pick out anything resembling "Normal Mapping".

I'm hopeful, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

God of War? Personally, I wasn't all that blown away by the time I finished the game. Sure, yeah, the hydra battle was phenomenal, but after that, meh.

Shiny ought to be able to make this game look great, given the source material - providing their artists are up to the task.

Back