PS2 Normal Mapping?: The Matrix: Path of Neo Screens, Info.

Yuck, this looks like a bland PC game. :? Maybe it looks better in motion, but I doubt this will be running at 60 Hz with fluid animation/gameplay so I sincerely doubt it.

Well, I guess if this proves anything, it's that I am NOT a graphics whore! :LOL:

I'm just tickled to be able to play as Neo through all of the movies. The environments look faithful to me - as faithful as I'd expect from PS2 - and I especially like the faces. They really look like the actors.

Here's hoping they normal-map the hell out of Trinity's shiny latex butt. :p

character models are quite good. Faithful to the actors. I think I see normal mapping with the clothing, but it's hard to say given that it's just a picture, and I have no context for the lighting engine.

Kolgar said:
Here's hoping they normal-map the hell out of Trinity's shiny latex butt. :p

:LOL: :LOL:

I also think that the game looks promising, let's hope it turns out to be MUCH better than Enter the Matrix, I had that one too.

Alstrong said:
character models are quite good. Faithful to the actors. I think I see normal mapping with the clothing, but it's hard to say given that it's just a picture, and I have no context for the lighting engine.

Maybe they used the lightning sources from the movie... :)

Evil_Cloud said:
Maybe they used the lightning sources from the movie... :)

sorry, I worded that poorly. I mean how lighting is dealt with in the engine. Dynamic lighting ala D3 or something more static like in Source where normalmaps are just harder to detect.

Remember people, this is a David "OUR NEW ENGINE IS SO DIFFERENT FROM OTHER ENGINES, IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY" Perry game.

He will, in every friggin' interview, talk, again and again, about how their new engine can do wild things, things beyond human, reasonable, imagination.

But in the end, just like the Wild9, Sacrifice, or the worst offender, Messiah engine, it will be an average-to-bad engine, doing average-to-bad things.

I still remember Perry explaining how their new genius programmer was working, day and night, on an engine (Messiah) that will adapt itself to every [computer] configurations possible. And I still remember how some stupid PC journalists went as far as saying that the game could be played for years and still be top-notch graphically, BECAUSE IT WORK ON A MAGIC ENGINE THAT ADAPT ITSELF, AND IT COULD CREATE GRAPHICAL DETAILS AND STUFF BY ITSELF...

Just a bit of trivia, Messiah needed a patch in order to run (@800x600) on "superior hardware" such as the Geforce3...

And about the IGN editor saying that this Matrix game was after God of War, for the PS2 graphical crown.
:LOL: x10 000

PC-Engine said:
IIRC the Messiah engine was touted as having realtime tessalation that adapts and scales to your hardware level.
Yes.
Although, I'm not sure it was realtime.

But as I said this simple feature, was over blown by Perry ability to talk shit.
99% of the journalists don't know jack about rendering.
Therefore Perry thought he could "simplify", while explaining them, the main advantages of their engine.

IIRC the Messiah engine was touted as having realtime tessalation that adapts and scales to your hardware level.

Not quite . In fact they used very hight poly character models (2-300k polys) ,and the engine was capable to cut it down to match the hardware with their "anatomicaly based mesh reduction" algorythm.
And that was only for characters.

(Seriously) 8)

And about the IGN editor saying that this Matrix game was after God of War, for the PS2 graphical crown.
I'll reserve my judgement untill I see that scenes with 1500 characters, and the bumpmaping. These screens look OK but not great. One of them looks quite bad actually.

People here are just too damn hard to impress. I promise this game will look great graphically. Gameplay wise I have no idea. I'm going to believe the guy that actually saw the game in motion that I bunch of guys that played 'Enter the Matrix' hated it so from there wants to hate every thing Shiny Ent. does. IGN says that 1500 Smiths on screen at the same time looks great and head to head with God of War so yes so far I will believe them.
________
PLYMOUTH VALIANT HISTORY

Last edited by a moderator:
Back