Pro Evolution Soccer 7

Dear god, please tell me those are PS2 screens! :(

I know that Seabass' studio has never wowed anyone with their graphics but this is just ridiculous if they think these screens portray "next-gen graphics" as they state in the press release.

Their shorts look like tubes. I'm considerably underwhelmed; I'm hoping their focus has been on fixing the rather stale gameplay. TeamVision sounds all well and good (although naming such advances is a little EA-ish), but I'm hoping the end product really shows an improvement. That said, I love PES6 when played against decent online opposition.

Any likelihood there will be some TeamVision data stored on hard drives so that teams make adjustments to their formation acording to your past record of gameplay (on next-gen consoles at least)? I doubt it, but it'd be nice to see - I remember StarDock's head AI dev talking about such moves for heavily AI-based games.

one of strongest features of PES has been the edit mode, and now we have it for next gen consoles/PC :D

i wonder whether you can share files with other people, as this was very popular with pc/ps2/psp. my guess is NO, because savefiles afaik are limited to one gamercard :devilish:

I don't think it looks that bad. It will depend on whether they put in some decent lighting at some stage. ;) The rest is pretty good (the dof and the detail in the characters, sporting some good expressions and motions)

I don't think it looks that bad. It will depend on whether they put in some decent lighting at some stage. ;) The rest is pretty good (the dof and the detail in the characters, sporting some good expressions and motions)

It looks like PES6 on my PS2 in slightly higher resolution with some DoF effects slapped onto it. They've spent years on the PS3 version, only for it to look like this? Inexcusable IMHO.

I wasn't expecting anything amazing because PES has never been at the forefront of graphics, but this is just ridiculous.

It looks like PES6 on my PS2 in slightly higher resolution.
Slightly higher resolution?! I agree that the visuals aren't great, but this is like many of those comparison's with past gen titles - just doen't hold up. The models are far more detailed, the shading's much improved, and going by the article the animation is improved too, which is a major addition to the visuals.

winning11_screen011.jpg

winning-eleven-pro-evolution-soccer-2008-20070618032336094.jpg

The model resolution is actually very good, without boxy mits like the PS2 versions! If they had a better lighting model, it could look awesome.

I found this @ http://winningeleven11.blogspot.com/2007/06/speculation-from-japan-within-24-hours.html

Its been less than 24 hours since Konami GmbH unveiled Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 on all formats through a press release including six images. Already news coming out of Japan is sparking the flames between fanboys and making a huge statement that at this point in time is not clear whether it is speculation or reality.

The post coming from the Japanese GAME11 Forums says the following:

"PES 2008のイメージはゲームのPCそしてXbox 360版である。 PS3イメージはソニー輸出禁止のためにKonamiによって解放されない。"

Google Translation:
"The image of PES 2008 is PC and Xbox 360 edition of the game. PS3 image is not released for the SONY embargo by Konami."

Forum posts are not really 100% reliable. But hey, who knows...

Slightly higher resolution?! I agree that the visuals aren't great, but this is like many of those comparison's with past gen titles - just doen't hold up. The models are far more detailed, the shading's much improved, and going by the article the animation is improved too, which is a major addition to the visuals.

winning11_screen011.jpg

The model resolution is actually very good, without boxy mits like the PS2 versions! If they had a better lighting model, it could look awesome.

I'm sorry but the difference is extremely slight IMO. I feel you've just proved my point with those two screenshots.

It's nowhere near next-gen IMHO. No cloth simulation at all. The kits look like rigid cardboard tubes around arms and legs, just like last gen. The model complexity increase is very slight. Lighting looks as flat as ever. Textures aren't impressive either.

It looks like crap IMO, and it hurts saying it, because I'm a huge fan of PES but I'll just stick to PES6 on my PS2 because I really don't see why I should upgrade.

Regarding the animation, have you even seen it in motion to make such a claim? I mean, I'm sure the animation looks better, but after seeing the graphics, I'm not really anticipating a leap in animation either.

Hopefully it's true what DieH@rd posted above, because it looks no better than PES6 on X360 or PC currently.

It's nowhere near next-gen IMHO. No cloth simulation at all. The kits look like rigid cardboard tubes around arms and legs, just like last gen.
This I can agree with, although the IGN article says

...there will be proper facial animations, shirt pulling and kits that flow and crease as the players run around. Watermarks from sweat and rain appear as the game continues too, bringing the player that bit closer to the action than ever before.

Hopefully this appears in the final game where it's not visible in these screens.
The model complexity increase is very slight.
This on the other hand is crazy talk! In contrast to the PS2 PES, there's very few poly angles visible. To go from boxed fingers to individual fingers is a huge model-complexity improvement. Add to that more detailed off-field geometry, and they could be pushing 'next gen' polygon counts.

Regarding the animation, have you even seen it in motion to make such a claim?
No, I said going by the article.

i am thinking of adding a poll to this thread to give more to discuss relating to console sales or the game itself.

should i add:
1, what console will this game sell best per console?
2, what do you want most improved in this sequel?

etc, i always thought number 1 was more Beyond3D ish. ;)

edit: Shifty, i don't think it is fair to compare PES2 to PES7 (PES2008 if they are changing). just seen screenshots and comparing PES6 and PES2 side to side, lots of graphical improvements. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: Shifty, i don't think it is fair to compare PES2 to PES7 (PES2008 if they are changing). just seen screenshots and comparing PES6 and PES2 side to side, lots of graphical improvements.
Is that pic from PES2? :oops: I'm sure I sourced the latest PES at GameSpot. Ah, I see what I did. GS didn't have a PES6, but did have Winning Eleven, and I grabbed images from Winning Eleven 6, which was PES2.

Checking Winning Eleven at GS, which is the latest they seem to have images of, the modles are hugely improved - fingers and all! So yeah, the gaps much closer. Though it is clear to me that one is higher resolution still. I wouldn't say PES2008WE12JWSBBQ15 looked like a high-res PS2 game.

Oh please.

world-soccer-winning-eleven-9-international-20050817021705524.jpg

While it is an improvement over the last gen version, this game looks VERY below par for running on the new consoles.

The first generation Fifa 2006 RTWC on X360 looks better than this, and thats a launch game

Last edited by a moderator:
FIFA 06: Road to World Cup is the best looking football game to date, it looks better than even 2006 FIFA World Cup and FIFA 07 in my opinion. you can even see footballs being stitched up in RTWC, but not in 07 or WC06.

some sources suggest these screenies were from two months ago, still shocked by how much Konami are getting out of this gen. this is graphic wise, i cannot completely criticise the game unless i saw the gameplay footage. animations and motions were said to have improved from last gen, hopefully that is true.

FIFA 06: Road to World Cup is the best looking football game to date, it looks better than even 2006 FIFA World Cup and FIFA 07 in my opinion. you can even see footballs being stitched up in RTWC, but not in 07 or WC06.

:oops:

Are you serious?

I mean, Fifa 07 has improved char models, cloth physics, etc etc. Only thing better in Fifa RTCW i can think of was grass when you watched the game from a low\close position (so you could see the horizont, like your standing there instead of an overview)

RTCW has those "im made of clay" models.

Back