New Apple computers lack disc drives

I can't remember the last time I bought a piece of software for my computer on a disc. Has to be at least five years or more.

Unless you are talking about some other occasion,I think they were specifally talking about the server version pictured here.
That picture is of the server version, but listening to the conference and what was actually said, the mac mini was advertised as supporting two drives, across the board. Wether you can buy a non-server mini with two drives factory-installed is one thing, but the capability should be there; the mini was also described as very user-accessible by just removing the bottom cover.

I still buy PC games sometimes on DVDs, because they are often much cheaper than on Steam. I don't always use the disc though, instead I activate the game on Steam with a serial key if possible.

Seriously?
yes, the dvd version was 200 grams heavier (& I looked up and checked) it was $100US more expensive.
Myself I prefer to have a less massive & cheaper device

That picture is of the server version, but listening to the conference and what was actually said, the mac mini was advertised as supporting two drives, across the board. Wether you can buy a non-server mini with two drives factory-installed is one thing, but the capability should be there; the mini was also described as very user-accessible by just removing the bottom cover.

I'm sorry, but that simply isn't true. I listened it few times before I posted.

Mac Mini starts about 24m 50s in and the critical part is about one minute later.

They even say in one slide "up to 1TB HDD" which is with the $799 model. They go around telling the specs of the basic 599$ model, and then go on to say:

"and lot of our customers actually like to get it as a server to run osx aplications" then the slide I had in my previous post pops up. Just trust me on this :)

User friendly bottom cover grants you easy access to the memory modules and thus upgrading the memory is very easy. Upgrading or installing another HDD is relatively simple, but takes quite a bit of more work to do.

This is how you install the second HDD in to Mac Mini. I'm quite sure you void the warranty if you do this.

[YT]mnrhin2ed8E[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, the dvd version was 200 grams heavier (& I looked up and checked) it was $100US more expensive.
Myself I prefer to have a less massive & cheaper device

It wasn't the "DVD" version that was $100 more expensive, but the new form factor that initially launched at a higher price point than the previous old system, which also had a DVD-drive. Apple dropped the price quite soon after the launch if I remember correctly.

Making noise about 200 grams of weight on a desktop computer that offers absolutely zero real world harm/benefit is such a scraping the bottom of a barrel to find an argument, that I wasn't sure whether someone can actually be serious when saying something like that.

I get the point about DVD-drive being mostly redundant in computers these days, but you don't need to come up with super weak arguments to back that up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back