Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid, how can they say Jaguar/Steamroller then mention 3.2GHz 2 module/4 core and explain the advantages and disadvantages of that. Waste of time for anyone with even basic knowledge in tech.

TI High end DSP have fast float engines last time I checked. You can get hybrid designs pretty easy now, something like a Cortex Mx with a DSP engine + decompression unit could be pretty tiny and very capable...

I agree, I'm just not sure it's necessary to go high-end. But you're right they could use an ARM core with the NEON SIMD do do all the audio/decompression work. That's what NEON is there for. If they're already including an ARM core for TrustZone security, why not?

And also uses specialguy's (aka Rangers) GAF post for Durango specs.

I think it will be safe to assume though, that next gen will not be a repeat of this gen in which the consoles are very similar in design and capabilities.

Orbis and Durango definitely seem less homogenous than PS3 and 360 were and given what we know, will be quite different machines.

Which makes it all the more interesting to see how the multiplat titles pan out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which makes it all the more interesting to see how the multiplat titles pan out.

Yeah I wonder how much flexibility there will be for 3rd party devs in optimizing for the platforms this time. Are we going to see a repeat of this gen where its mostly built for the lowest common denominator with slight differences in frame rate, AA, etc or will they take advantages of each platform if it's easy enough to implement?

Like more bandwidth? Bump the AA.
Better secret sauce? Bump the lighting and GI.

If one console comes out noticeably lower in power I wonder if they can strong arm devs to keep visuals closer. Install base helps/hurts in that argument I suppose.

Furthermore, the last solid info we had on the power of the GPU in the kit was from bgassassin whose source said 1+ TF and not close to the 1.8 TF GPU in the PS4 kits.

So that gives us the range of 1 to 1.5 TF.

I thought I would swing by to see if you guys had learned anything new on PS4 and Xbox 3. I figure I would just clear this up and say that the person I got that from didn't say it was not close the the PS4 GPU. That was my initial impression based on the lack of info at the time since he only told me 1+ TFLOPs. I would not rule out the final Xbox 3 GPU being "more powerful" than PS4's.

I thought I would swing by to see if you guys had learned anything new on PS4 and Xbox 3. I figure I would just clear this up and say that the person I got that from didn't say it was not close the the PS4 GPU. That was my initial impression based on the lack of info at the time since he only told me 1+ TFLOPs. I would not rule out the final Xbox 3 GPU being "more powerful" than PS4's.

Well I guess if it's anywhere close to 2tf then he would said something roughly 2tf wouldn't he? 1+ really sounds like it's a good deal lower than 2tf for the sake of rough estimation. But I'm more interested in what kind of customization these gpus might have.

Well I guess if it's anywhere close to 2tf then he would said something roughly 2tf wouldn't he? 1+ really sounds like it's a good deal lower than 2tf for the sake of rough estimation. But I'm more interested in what kind of customization these gpus might have.

Right as that's the same way I felt upon first hearing it. But like it was already mentioned, the Xbox info and PS info I had came from two different sources (meaning the perspectives aren't the same) and the person I got the Xbox info from also said that "1+ TFLOPs" was from others working on it as I'm not sure his group had got their kit yet back then.

Right as that's the same way I felt upon first hearing it. But like it was already mentioned, the Xbox info and PS info I had came from two different sources (meaning the perspectives aren't the same) and the person I got the Xbox info from also said that "1+ TFLOPs" was from others working on it as I'm not sure his group had got their kit yet back then.

I'm reading on GAF that devs/Microsoft are saying that the GPU is comparable to a 680 (in real world performance I assume). This is what aegies (journalist) claims anyway.

I'm reading on GAF that devs/Microsoft are saying that the GPU is comparable to a 680 (in real world performance I assume). This is what aegies (journalist) claims anyway.

Nothing I learned up till I stopped posting late last year indicated that to be the case, especially with what the 680 is capable of. The PC kit pictures that came out before I left also didn't indicate that. Could be "PR fudging", but I'm out of the loop right now on recent info. Though that would be a big change in a small window from when I last dug for info.

Good to see you back bg,

I think it's around the 1.2 mark and not say 1.6 TF, given also that the Dec 11 pastebin leak had 1.2 TF and that recent post from the semiaccurate forums saying Rangers specs were right to expect a GPU around the HD7770 mark (1.28 TF).

Proelite's original specs on GAF back in June also had 1-1.2 TF for the GPU.

And your source would've most likely said around 1.5 / 1.5+ if it was closer to the PS3's 1.8 TF rather than closer to 1 TF?

Not to mention, bkilian putting down the smack about people calling a 1+ TF GPU weak.
(he's also indicated that the real TF number is out there in the wild and I've seen no other strong candidates that are in 1.5-1.8 mark).

If it has a APU and then another pseudo GPU ("Whatever that means"), then maybe that might be true, who knows?

We should get a lot more insider information after GDC, however since that is late march something might be shown before then. I mean that is almost the second quarter of 2013.

He didn't say enough for anyone to really figure anything out of it. Could it be as fast as a GTX 680 in doing a certain task? That wouldn't be too surprising. Or is it as fast as a GTX 680 overall?

Here is the link to the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507325&page=23

His posts start at #2210

It does sound like the GPU has lots of assists. Also it is a "Monster of a SoC" post #2217

Ok. Yeah that does sound like MS is massaging some info as I would agree with James Sawyer Ford. I'm sure there are features comparable to a 680, but not the raw power. "Performance" as used in aegies' quote "comparable to 680 performance" can be open to interpretation. Features may be the better interpretation.

Good to see you back bg,

I think it's around the 1.2 mark and not say 1.6 TF, given also that the Dec 11 pastebin leak had 1.2 TF and that recent post from semiaccurate saying Rangers specs were right to expect a GPU around the HD7770 mark (1.28 TF).

Proelite's original specs on GAF back in June also had 1-1.2 TF for the GPU.

And your source would've most likely said around 1.5 / 1.5+ if it was closer to the PS3's 1.8 TF rather than closer to 1 TF?

Not to mention, bkilian putting down the smack about people calling a 1+ TF GPU weak.
(he's also indicated that the real TF number is out there in the wild and I've seen no other strong candidates that are in 1.5-1.8 mark).

Thanks.

What's this about the semiaccurate post?

But yeah I still lean much more towards Xbox 3's GPU "being less" than PS4's GPU. I just never got the same level of detailed info on Xbox 3 compared to what I got with PS4 to be as confident about how Xbox 3's GPU was shaping up.

I would love the next Xbox to be preparation for Direct3D 12 or at least 11.5. Because right now D3D doesn't have a very well known road-map.

I would also love it if that pseudo GPU had some kind of hardware ray tracing built in, of course that is total fantasy at this point, but as I said before I love to dream.

Also I remember seeing some "ray tracing" stuff on a power point for a future version of direct3D. It was a question mark like "what is next in the future of direct3D". This wasn't the April fools joke a few years ago with D3D 11, this was around the time that direct3D 10 was in the works. It was from the PDC I do believe. It had hardware tessellation which became part of D3D 11 and then it had D3D 12 (ray tracing?).

No, this is not a Rigby post, I actually remember getting excited to see ray tracing on an official PDC document, but it wasn't there on a road-map it was just speculation about the future.

Is really "impossible" what's he said (aegies)?

I really don't know. But it does on the face of it seem too good to be true.

It's funny the 680 is the GPU that is specifically compared though. I remember that Bkilian did say no one had guessed what the card in the leaked devkit picture was. I wonder if it was a 680?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back