Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't have to need that much all the time, they reserve as much as the most they think it will ever need. And since you're using lots of cheap RAM, might as well ere on the side of caution.
Well yesterday iherre or karak(forget which one)said(he said "from what i heard",so it's other rumors...holy,i feel i start to afraid someone in here because it seems he think me only believe what i said and everything from others must be wrong) right now it's 1 core:1.5GB,and the final target will be 1:1.

I will say that for a certain console named after a city in Mexico, all of the specs, current to the date I left, are out there. You just have to pick and choose the right bits from the right rumors. But I suppose that's always been the hard part, hasn't it?

Well yesterday iherre or karak(forget which one)said(he said "from what i heard",so it's other rumors...holy,i feel i start to afraid someone in here because it seems he think me only believe what i said and everything from others must be wrong) right now it's 1 core:1.5GB,and the final target will be 1:1.

That was me. I heard, from the same person that said that BC was going to be included, that a hoped for target was 1:1. For reservation. As with everything outside of the realm of announcement dates and so forth. I stated to take that as people would.

Lower flops doesn't mean it's weaker.

Of course not, but since they're both AMD GPUs (it's not like one is an nVidia card), flops would give you some indication of relative power (in the devkits) - especially since the Durango devkit GPU will not have the customisations (and ESRAM) of the final part (which may even the playing field).

Plus MS seems to be the one heavily customising the GPU (like last time with Xenos), Sony's probably going for a more off the shelf part (like RSX) again.

That makes it unlikely for the Durango GPU to be weaker but have higher or the same FLOPS as the PS4 GPU, since that would mean Sony has the more customised part.

FLOPS is an easy metric for quick comparison too, what else could lherre be basing his statement on other than FLOPS?

And we've got a lower FLOPS number (1+ vs close to 2) from bgassassin as well as the weaker GPU statement from lherre.

Yes, but as Shifty said earlier, even if they're doing apps, web browser, Skype, DVR running in the background, is it really going to need 3GB all the time?
100x more than 360? Maybe 1 GB, even 2 GB, but 3?

bkilian made a good post about that a while back (months ago), unfortunately I'm too lazy to look it up. But the gist was consoles cant use the HDD for virtual memory, so they need a lot more RAM for OS stuff hypothetically.

Plus the way I look at it, if the RAM is pretty slow there may be no real reason to have 8GB. If only 5GB is "usable" for graphics due to speed, then you lose nothing by reserving 3GB. One thing is for sure, MS choose to go with a crapload of DDR3 over a lesser amount of GDDR5 for a reason, and the reason probably wasn't gaming, it was probably set top box.

The last Euro gamer article put the Durango RAM reserve at 2GB not 3. It could be a very hefty amount while being something less than 3GB. But 3GB wouldn't surprise me either.

Of course not, but since they're both AMD GPUs (it's not like one is an nVidia card), flops would give you some indication of relative power (in the devkits) - especially since the Durango devkit GPU will not have the customisations (and ESRAM) of the final part.

Plus MS seems to be the one heavily customising the GPU (like last time with Xenos), Sony's probably going for a more off the shelf part (like RSX) again.

That makes it unlikely for the Durango GPU to be weaker but have higher or the same FLOPS as the PS4 GPU, since that would mean Sony has the more customised part.

FLOPS is an easy metric for quick comparison too, what else could lherre be basing his statement on other than FLOPS?

And we've got a lower FLOPS number (1+ vs close to 2) from bgassassin as well as the weaker GPU statement from lherre.

The 1+ teraflop figure refers to the final kit. I will assure you that the final GPU is anything but weak in real world applications. In fact I predict it'll be the star of the system ala Xenos. Pretty sure Iherre didn't say anything about Durango's GPU being weaker.

The 1+ teraflop figure refers to the final kit. I will assure you that the final GPU is anything but weak in real world applications. In fact I predict it'll be the star of the system ala Xenos. Pretty sure Iherre didn't say anything about Durango's GPU being weaker.

So, what are these fabled Durango GPU customizations, which go all the way back to sweetvar's posts?

I'm guessing it's just larger caches and such. Helping to deal with low bandwidth?

and lherre did say that...

he told me in pm 6 months ago.

I thought the same thing six month ago.
Ask him now.
We don't know anything concrete about Orbis, any comparison is early.

In addition I don't think he knows anything.

Anyways all will be revealed in due time.

Kaz gave an interview at CES, seems that Blu-Ray 4K will not be a part of the next console.
Sony and Panasonic did have some loose talks but nothing concrete at all, which does indicate that it's not going to be a part of the launch unit at least.

I don´t understand which kind of optimizations can make a 1 tflop gpu behave like a 2 tflop one except for new specialiced hardware for the most intensive tasks ( direct and indirect lighting ). It is not like previous gen in which going with unified shaders made a great impact in the gpu for microsoft.

Oh I'm sure Durango's GPU will punch above it's weight in terms of real world performance compared to its flops.

And as Ranger has said lherre told him it was weaker compared to the 1.8TF GPU in the PS3 alpha kit.

But that was probably based mainly on FLOPS, the final GPU with ESRAM and customisations etc. should be more competitive (unless Sony do heavy customisations of their own, or get an even bigger GPU for the final).

I don´t understand which kind of optimizations can make a 1 tflop gpu behave like a 2 tflop one except for new specialiced hardware for the most intensive tasks ( direct and indirect lighting ). It is not like previous gen in which going with unified shaders made a great impact in the gpu for microsoft.

But perhaps there are some which can make a 1.5 TF GPU perform like a 2TF one.

Last edited by a moderator:

well we have lots of guys in here who really really know tech. i wonder if any of them would speculate.

so far they just seem to be a bit incredulous.

I will say that for a certain console named after a city in Mexico, all of the specs, current to the date I left, are out there. You just have to pick and choose the right bits from the right rumors. But I suppose that's always been the hard part, hasn't it?

What do you think about this bike bkilian? A worthy upgrade to my older model or should I change for better tires? ;)
293wmbq.jpg

Tim Sweeney knew for long that one of the consoles was having a bunch of cores and UE4 main selling point is its voxel based algorithm lighting. Maybe Xbox cpu cores have vector units that can handle this helping the GPU.

Oh I'm sure Durango's GPU will punch above it's weight in terms of real world performance compared to its flops.

And as Ranger has said lherre told him it was weaker compared to the 1.8TF GPU in the PS3 alpha kit.

But that was probably based mainly on FLOPS, the final GPU with ESRAM and customisations etc. should be more competitive (unless Sony do heavy customisations of their own, or get an even bigger GPU for the final).

Funny that you listen his old rumors but keep ignore new rumors from same person,and many new rumos in that neogaf thread(from insider).

But that's the fun,since MS/Sony still announced nothing...i mean,how about everyone put you prediction of Durango and Orbis GPU TFlops in your new reply,for some little bet(well,no rewards bet:LOL:)
use 0.3 as range(0.8~1.1,1~1.3,1.5~1.8 etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back