Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from another AMD employee
"285W"
Someone ask him about next-gen xbox power and 285W was his answer(285W ac adaptor i guess)

He said i know where you(OP from that thread) are,but be carefu
And he also said MS have another machine maybe OP don't know

That would be amazing. That's why I'm doubtful of the validity. But at the same time, if MS wants a 8-10 year life span, I think they have to go really powerful.

What would be interesting if this other machine (maybe the rumored xboxTV) uses salvaged APU's. If MS does have bad yields, it would be interesting if they could get other products from partially failing APU's. It would really cut their losses.

Something like this:
720 APU: 8 core cpu + 1024 shaders
XboxTV APU: only 4 core cpu + 384 shaders and lower clocks.

Wait, an APU with a 76xx AND an 8800? Um. Dayum!? No way. Just. What kind of power would that alone draw? That doesn't seem feasible.

Wait, an APU with a 76xx AND an 8800? Um. Dayum!? No way. Just. What kind of power would that alone draw? That doesn't seem feasible.

Not just that, it would be harder to work with, depending on how much difference there is between the 7000 series GPUs and the 8000 series GPUs. I could see them using something from the 7000 series if they're making a separate SoC for their X-Box TV thingie, but it's hard to see them combine a 76XX and a 88XX in one box.

If MS is actually going to release XBox TV, it would make more sense if they would make it 360 compatible rather than going completely with new SKU incompatible with either 360 or next xbox.

Well he mean 8 cores CPU+HD8850 or HD8870 in one custom APU
That's Durango

If true, this would be a great solution, IMHO. It's a huge generational jump in performance and having a single chip should simplify moving some algorithms to the GPU. From a business perspective, despite the initial low yields due the big chip, it is probably cheaper in the long term, due to reduced motherboard complexity and a simpler cooling solution. If we assume this to be true, it's still an interesting open question how they are going to provide ~200 GB/s of bandwidth to fit the APU.

Does the post also mention the HD7670 as a chip being used in next-gen consoles (or the rumored Xbox Light)?

Thanks N2O !
- big APU
- hd 8000
- 285 watt

The other system may be the Xbox lite set top box . And like this gen ps4 and next Xbox will be similar in power.

Big APU with hd 8000 sounds legit. I don't think MS was ever going for dual graphics stuff. IMO it's to early for MS to have determined the power ratings though.

In GAF they are commenting the OP of that thread hints to a 8 Jaguar cores at 1.6 Ghz + 76xx GPU in the APU + discrete GPU of the 8800 series. It seems he claims it is Durango and the 8800 is the new 8870 with almost 4 TFLOPs.
I don't know but that sounds like big BS to me, haven't followed the speculation about AMD next GPU, but that would put the hd 8870 on the same level as tahiti on the same process.
Doesn't compute to me.

I don't know but that sounds like big BS to me, haven't followed the speculation about AMD next GPU, but that would put the hd 8870 on the same level as tahiti on the same process.
Doesn't compute to me.

This is the most commonly found rumor about 88xx series.
amd-radeon-8000-series-1.jpg

Nobody knows if its true. Still 28nm but much more effective than 7xxx.

Isnt 8870 roughly on same class as 680, according to rumored specs? Can 28nm process be matured enough for mass production by mid-2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back