Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cost argument can be modified depending on the design.
It was intimated earlier that AMD designed the smaller chips with mobile as the primary target.

If the design is targeted so that its size and yield curve is a better match for the mobile market, then the component of the cost that is related to special binning is reduced, because acceptable chips become the baseline instead of being the exception.
Okay, so if we suppose these are "full production" parts and not binned, is it reasonable to use the die area to compare cost against the desktop equivalent?

I don't have visibility on the cost, just the MSRP. At least with the discrete cards there's a number you can point to. Mobile typically has an extra layer of uncertainty since mobile parts may command a higher price and the OEM can tack on some extra margin on top of it.

They would be more comparable than the case of high-end mobile chips being cut down GPU desktop chips.

Assuming next gen consoles won't have the best cpu money can buy nor ultra low voltage/tdp cpu's, how relevant will binning be? Considering the amount of low priced laptops with decent enough cpu's one can buy these days is binning still a real issue?

I thought a mobile part wasn't even a possibility for a console GPU, don't they need special binning, low clock and large die to be efficient? It looks like a big waste of money compared to the desktop parts. Flops per dollar should be prioritized over flops per watt, because watts are available.

Some do some don't. The 7970M is binned from the desktop 7870 chip. Out of one set of masks and wafers they can get they can get three parts, the full 7870, the 7850 that has some failing shaders and may not meet clock, and the 7970M consisting of the few outliers that have really good performance per watt.

The market for a 7970M is so tiny that a separate chip designed for that purpose isn't worth it. As the process matures yields improve, but also process variation improves as well so I think its possible to spin a custom chip (like a 7970M variant) targeted at a lower clock that will produce similar power performance ratios without the need for binning.

Virtually ever company does some sort of binning to sell as many chips as possible. The 85xx, 86xx, and 87xx are all binned from the same chip. Any chip you design can be binned.

Since console manufactures can't do that, they have to go with a semiconductor process that is really mature so they good as many working parts and as many parts that fall with in spec (clock, power consumption)

The cost argument can be modified depending on the design.
It was intimated earlier that AMD designed the smaller chips with mobile as the primary target.
I thought AMD's new architectures were completely modular and scalable, so regardless what they put in a mobile part, they can use the same architecture and build a custom part for consoles. is this not the case?

The general architecture is designed to be scalable, but I'm talking about a specific implementation of it.
If a chip is designed so that the vast majority of what's under the yield curve match the mobile market, then it's not the same cost situation as a chip where the majority of the area under the yield curve is unacceptable.

Most low end mobile stuff is not binned at all, exept for the QC test. look for example the gf117 630m, there is no desktop counterpart, they just put low clocks and voltages.

same could be applied here, depending of the need they can reduce or lower the clock and voltage, no need for binning, thought performance per watts is obviously better on binned stuff, but not that much, maybe 15w out of 150w

A-iFodoCQAESj1f.png:large

Credible? Is there really a beta?

So if all things are pretty much equal does Sony win on account of greater freedom for devs to access the hardware directly or will it not make much difference (we are talking exclusive v similar exclusive as I doubt Multiplatform devs would both going for anything other than parity)

Won't make a difference as there really won't be a bare-metal access path.

So if all things are pretty much equal does Sony win on account of greater freedom for devs to access the hardware directly or will it not make much difference (we are talking exclusive v similar exclusive as I doubt Multiplatform devs would both going for anything other than parity)
I have no idea if that restriction is true or not (hopefully someone will comment about it), but what kind of performance would be gained, what restriction are they doing?
This got me thinking, if both consoles are very similar and are using the same CPU and GPU architecture, maybe the hardcore low-level gurus will be able to bring a near-parity quality between 3rd party multiplatforms and first party games? Because right now, this is really not the case on PS3, although 360 doesn't suffer as much because all the games are really ugly... just kidding :LOL:

Credible? Is there really a beta?

I'm assuming a beta dev kit would consist of early engineering samples of the actual CPU and GPU? Maybe they need to do another stepping, but this is close enough to let dev's play with?

I'm assuming a beta dev kit would consist of early engineering samples of the actual CPU and GPU? Maybe they need to do another stepping, but this is close enough to let dev's play with?

If that is the case then maybe we will find out what the special sauce is in the design of Durango from the Beta kits. If it has say embedded memory or exceptionally high memory bandwidth then if it can be leaked it will. The really interesting parts are whether they have special fixed function hardware and the memory architecture given the basic design is pretty bog standard.

Have you guys read the specs that "superdae" posted on teamxbox? It is very likely a fake cause it's too powerful and the ram is probably overkill but man if it was true...I would drool.

That's a lot of details, but it can all be bunk just as easily as not, still not sure it's the same guy though. I saved it just in case it's real. LOL

Tommy McClain

Just one question. Is x86 pretty much confirmed for both Durango/Orbis or there is still a possibility that they might stay with the PowerPC based?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back