Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pitcairn-radeon-HD-7850-768-shaders-gpu,15524.html

+

AMD A10

= 1152 Shaders.

Sound familiar? :cool:

Coupled with the Sweetvar's comments about Orbis/Durango going with equivalent of market's 7700/7800 series GPUs for the dev kits...

Ign claimed that ps4 was using an amd a8 and hd 7670 . Nxt came the vg247 article where they claimed that ps4 was using an amd a10 and also claimed that the last update to the dev kit was only a graphics card! That gpu can be the 768 GCN gpu because hd 7660 in a10 is same as the hd 7670!

So first it was

A8 + 7670
Then
A8 + the 768 shaders gpu
Then
A10 + 768 shaders gpu

If the a10 will stay as the base of ps4( vg247 claim) is true then the next update will be amd Richland APU having piledriver cores and may be this 768 GCN cores will be the integrated gpu in that APU !

Last edited by a moderator:
Arthur Gies from polygon.com posting some very interesting posts on neogaf .

Interesting. Putting together all the rumors (e.g the pastebin one, the 16 "cores" one), this what I get:
8 Jaguar core @ 1.6 Ghz = 100 Gigaflops
8 CUs @ 1 Ghz = 1 Teraflop/s

Differently from an APUs, MS could have stripped down everything not needed (TMU, ROPs, tessellation unit), and using the CUs as huge FPU, with improved caches and other compute-related features. In some way it's what the Cell was build for, but way easier to code.
Even if they use a Cape Verde-like chip as dedicated GPU, we still have a fairly powerful console.

Interesting. Putting together all the rumors (e.g the pastebin one, the 16 "cores" one), this what I get:
8 Jaguar core @ 1.6 Ghz = 100 Gigaflops
8 CUs @ 1 Ghz = 1 Teraflop/s

Differently from an APUs, MS could have stripped down everything not needed (TMU, ROPs, tessellation unit), and using the CUs as huge FPU, with improved caches and other compute-related features. In some way it's what the Cell was build for, but way easier to code.
Even if they use a Cape Verde-like chip as dedicated GPU, we still have a fairly powerful console.

I think bkilians recent post was a good nix on why this concept is a bad idea.

If anyone would do it (APU+discrete) I see Sony. Simply because they tend to embrace weird esoteric, not necessarily efficient designs, and it would be somewhat of a follow up conceptually to Cell. But hell now that Kutaragi is gone and the way Vita looks (very traditional) who even knows if they do that anymore.

A Pitcairn derivative in a one slot card could only mean: console with updatable graphics.

Pretty sure the final console will have the apu and gpu combined into one big apu with aggregate performance north of 2 teraflops and 2-4 gigs of unified ultra fast ram.

I think bkilians recent post was a good nix on why this concept is a bad idea.

If anyone would do it (APU+discrete) I see Sony. Simply because they tend to embrace weird esoteric, not necessarily efficient designs, and it would be somewhat of a follow up conceptually to Cell. But hell now that Kutaragi is gone and the way Vita looks (very traditional) who even knows if they do that anymore.

I thought his post was about "normal" APUs, i.e with fully fledged GPUs. What I pictured is more a co-processor for floating point operations without ROPs, TMUs and tessellation unit.
AMD could also improved GNC architecture to make it more compute friendly, for example improving caches size. And that's it. On another die you will have a normal GPU, based on the "regular" GNC architecture. Anyway, this is where lots of rumors now point. Also, a 8 core Jaguar is a really tiny chip, probably too tiny for a proper memory controller.

Pretty sure the final console will have the apu and gpu combined into one big apu with aggregate performance north of 2 teraflops and 2-4 gigs of unified ultra fast ram.

If "final" means years from launch with smaller processes, maybe, but on launch no chance. MCM could in theory be feasible, but single die? No way it would be too big and controlling hotspots get too hard, I believe.

If "final" means years from launch with smaller processes, maybe, but on launch no chance. MCM could in theory be feasible, but single die? No way it would be too big and controlling hotspots get too hard, I believe.

Why? Pitcairn has 2.5 TF on a 212mm^2 die @ 175W. 8 Jaguar cores and 4MB of cache for them are like >40mm^2 extra. A 250mm^2 die is eminently manufacturable, and if you disable 2 CUs for yields and drop the clocks to 900MHz, you are still above 2TF but now probably at 150W. That's right on the upper limit of feasible, but I think it's still within it.

Personally, I'd bet for a smaller system, but I don't think that's absurd.

Why? Pitcairn has 2.5 TF on a 212mm^2 die @ 175W. 8 Jaguar cores and 4MB of cache for them are like >40mm^2 extra. A 250mm^2 die is eminently manufacturable, and if you disable 2 CUs for yields and drop the clocks to 900MHz, you are still above 2TF but now probably at 150W. That's right on the upper limit of feasible, but I think it's still within it.

Personally, I'd bet for a smaller system, but I don't think that's absurd.

You forgot the GPU of the APU from that equation, since the premise was APU + GPU on single die

--

fehu, I'd imagine it's easier to balance 2 separate dies hotspots than 1 big die with CPU cores, GPU cores and bigger set of GPU cores on it

(the APU+GPU rumor would support one rumor that said that there will be GPGPU heavily involved, but it won't be the "discrete GPU" doing that job)

You forgot the GPU of the APU from that equation, since the premise was APU + GPU on single die

--

fehu, I'd imagine it's easier to balance 2 separate dies hotspots than 1 big die with CPU cores, GPU cores and bigger set of GPU cores on it

(the APU+GPU rumor would support one rumor that said that there will be GPGPU heavily involved, but it won't be the "discrete GPU" doing that job)

Where is the source of the APU+GPU rumor? I've always though the dev kits are APU+GPU out of necessity.

Sweetvar started out saying the Orbis would be an APU solution.

Besides the CPU cores going to be insignificant in terms of die space budget compared to the gpu, since according to Sweetvar Orbis is going with Jaguar too.

Orbis is APU and Durango is SOC. I am betting on it.

Where is the source of the APU+GPU rumor? I've always though the dev kits are APU+GPU out of necessity.

Sweetvar started out saying the Orbis would be an APU solution.

I'm not quite sure, but I think somewhere it was suggested that the final would be APU (CPU + GPU for GPGPU) + GPU (graphics)

I'm not quite sure, but I think somewhere it was suggested that the final would be APU (CPU + GPU for GPGPU) + GPU (graphics)

Nope. I think we're all thrown off track by dev kit specs.

Now that Sweetvar's info is confirmed to be legit (even his posts on Google Cache have been removed), his word is holy. All his words on Orbis so far.

sweetvar26 said:
The PS4 AMD project called as Thebe. Previously it used to be based on Themesto and Callisto based chips but now that has been revised. They moved on to a chip called Jaguar replacing the Streamroller. They moved on to TSMC 28nm solution from the 32, which the streamroller is.

The whole thing basically is APU solutuion, they made the changes considering the 10 year product life cycle and to keep the initial product costs at minimum. , As of now it is called as the Thebe Jaguar project or TH-J.

sweetvar26 said:
As of what I've talked to him or heard, though they are doing project on the PS4 as well as the next Xbox, supposedly the Xbox project is on higher priority compared the PS4 and that they are developing something unique for it.

sweetvar26 said:
Alright, I'm in Toronto and was talking to my buddy who works at the AMD headquarters here.

As of what he tells me, they both are using same chip with different specifications from Sony and Microsoft, something like the market's 7700-7800, not really sure. He did mention the word "Jaguar processor".

As for the PS4, the first chip has already been sent out two months ago, it is back after a month or so, for the second revision. He says there should be a third and if they don't see any problems, should be ready for mass production. Apparently, AMD did delay the work, he says it is around 6 months behind schedule.

There are also his posts on Starsha the early chipsets in PS4, but they've been wiped from the internet.

sweetvar26 said:
PS4:

New Starsha GNB 28nm TSMC
Milos
Southern Islands

DX11
SM 5.0
Open CL 1.0
Quad Pixel pipes 4
SIMD’s 5
Texture Units 5TCP/2TCC
Render back ends 2
Scalar ALU’s 320

EDIT: Some of those were crossed, may be they were updated/changed at a later date, I have no idea.

sweetvar26 said:
PS4:
Couple of more updates

Graphic North Bridge(GNB) Highlights
Fusion 1.9 support
DCE 7.0
UVD 4.0
VCE
IOMMU
ACP
5x8 GPP PCIE cores
SCLK 800MHz/LCLK 800MHz

Yes, Sweetvar26 mentioned APU only in PS4. He also mentioned that Sony already got the chip back 2 months ago and is sending it one more time, if it all goes well they will be able to start mass production. He also said Microsoft sent their chip for the first time not long ago and should get it back soon.

From memory he also mentioned that both use Jaguar CPUs, and Durango is 2 Jaguar CPC's (Core plus cache) with 4P/2MB. Clocked at 1.6Ghz(~1.25V) which was later confirmed by several people with info. He mentioned that Durango project is of higher priority and that they are doing something special for it. He said that his friend from AMD and the team there feel Durango will be more powerful of the two and that both consoles are scheduled to release in fall 2013 . Thats all that he said until they deleted his posts, removed it from Google cache and he suddenly disappeared.

He probably shouldn't have posted codenames and use his friends laptop while doing it (ip adress and all that).

Nope. I think we're all thrown off track by dev kit specs.

Now that Sweetvar's info is confirmed to be legit (even his posts on Google Cache have been removed), his word is holy. All his words on Orbis so far.

There are also his posts on Starsha the early chipsets in PS4, but they've been wiped from the internet.

Was the info that Sweetvar posted before or after this I can't seem to remember.

specs-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back