Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on how eager Nvidia was/is into getting into the console game again... and since it would boot them out, otherwise, I guess their eagerness isn't to be underestimated.

Depends on how eager Nvidia was/is into getting into the console game again... and since it would boot them out, otherwise, I guess their eagerness isn't to be underestimated.

With all the Tablets that's using Nvidia I don't think they are too worried about not being in a console this time around.

Well? if they are lucky, then might strike a "PS2... that's 150 million GPUs sold right there. And I don't think that this is something to ignore.

Would the rumored vg leaks specs, with Jaguar cores instead of steamroller, and 4 Gb of GDDR5 of RAM be a good system in terms of performance?

With all the Tablets that's using Nvidia I don't think they are too worried about not being in a console this time around.

Reportedly they've had to push Tegra 3 prices ridicilously low, though (and not surprising really, you need separate modem even for 3G connections, Qualcomm has leaps and bounds faster Krait/S4 out and Cortex A15's are coming out (or out already?) too)

What's DirectX 11 hardware? I don't mean some gpu nomenclature, I mean specific hardware requirements unique to DirectX 11 that cannot be done in software.

DirectX 11 hardware is hardware that supports the full DX11 feature set in hardware.

In hardware means that the hardware is built specifically to perform/accelerate the functions that are specified in the API. So DX11 hardware has functional units designed specifically to perform tasks like tessellation and pixel/vertex shading and texture mapping. A DX11 GPU can do these things much, much faster than a CPU.

Of course DX11 hardware can go above and beyond the DX11 specifications, as long as it meets the basic requirements that are specified the the API.

Next gen consoles will not have anything less than DX11 compliant hardware, perhaps not including the Wuu.

So if Nvidia does GPU for PS4 who is going to design the CPU? Something tells me that AMD will not want/allow and Nvidia GPU on the same die as AMD CPU cores. Same thing vice versa. Has anyone considered this part at all? Or is the PS4 no longer a SuperSoC?

Reportedly they've had to push Tegra 3 prices ridicilously low, though (and not surprising really, you need separate modem even for 3G connections, Qualcomm has leaps and bounds faster Krait/S4 out and Cortex A15's are coming out (or out already?) too)

That's to be expected. Tegra 3 is old tech on an old process. Given how drastic upgrade the TSMC 28nm process is at low power (their first with HKMG), once the production ramps up it will be hard to sell their 40nm stuff at any price.

Tegra 3 is a stopgap product that's really not a sufficient upgrade over Tegra 2 to justify it's existence. nV:s next real product is Wayne. It's release date does leave a huge gap in the nV roadmap, but hey, that's pretty much their strategy in GPUs too. It remains to be seen if it will be similarly workable on phones/tablets.

Why should it support the rumors?

I'm very ignorantly guessing that newer SSEs and AVX and possibly those other acronyms mean better FLOPS, which may not be a bad thing following Cell. I don't know, which is why I'm asking.

Think it's getting too late to change if they want to launch in 2013.

Plus BG seems pretty sure of his "target specs".

They aren't "my target specs" considering other sites eventually leaked the same info. Only thing I'm sure of was that they were the target specs. Doesn't mean they can't change. See possibly going from Steamroller to Jaguar cores.

Sorry if this is old news, but does this support the rumors that PS4 switched to Jaguar cores?
Quoting Xbitlabs:
Based on the information released by AMD, the Jaguar low-power micro-architecture will support a set of instructions found in high-performance Bulldozer/Piledriver sores, including SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AES, PCLMUL, AVX, BMI, F16C as well as MOVBE.

I saw this today as well. Reflecting on Xenon, you will often find quotes about the importance of using the VMX128 units and how exploiting these, if possible, makes up a lot of lost performance ground. It seems reasonable to conclude any CPU, even with superior IPC, is going to need some robust vector or SIMD units to give it "legs" so to speak in the long term.

Jaguar looks to be hitting a lot of the important "check boxes" for a console CPU: it will be smaller than the more robust x86 chips (like Intel's iCore series) yet faster and more robust than Atom (or ARM), it will be on the lower end of the TDP scale, a license from AMD must be pretty affordable these days, AMD has great GPU tech to tie Jaguar cores to in a SoC, AMD is including technology to make CPU/GPU collaboration (HSA) better, etc. The inclusion of a wide SIMD unit should in theory give Jaguar cores some muscle--because even if a Jaguar core runs circles around Xenon (or SPE) in standard code it probably isn't a good thing if a 4-core Jaguar chip has 1/2 the FLOPs of a 3 core Xenon (which has a fairly high peak FLOPs as it has 3 VMX units at 3.2GHz).

Jaguar, even if it is a slower-end of the x86 world, sounds like it hits a lot of the bullet points to get into a console and would be a better choice than, say, ARM or more Waternoose cores. It wouldn't hurt that there are a bazillion tools, libraries, compilers, and programmers experienced with x86.

So if Nvidia does GPU for PS4 who is going to design the CPU? Something tells me that AMD will not want/allow and Nvidia GPU on the same die as AMD CPU cores. Same thing vice versa. Has anyone considered this part at all? Or is the PS4 no longer a SuperSoC?

Nvidia is designing their own ARM CPU.

Sony already has an OS supporting ARM because of Vita.

Nvidia is designing their own ARM CPU.

Sony already has an OS supporting ARM because of Vita.

Doesn't jive with the rumors floating around. Now I know they are just rumors, but they are what we have to go by. So if PS4 is a SoC using AMD tech it would kind of rule Nvidia out, no? I understand Nvidia is working on their own ARM CPU but what does that matter? Will that somehow be a competitor to be in PS4? I thought they were designing the ARM CPU for use in mobile application?

Would the rumored vg leaks specs, with Jaguar cores instead of steamroller, and 4 Gb of GDDR5 of RAM be a good system in terms of performance?

Well, besides the Jaguar seemingly being a little light in the loafers (but who knows if it will be Jaguar), I think so.

Durango seems more nebulous and difficult to pin down right now, but PS4 looks pretty straightforward at this point and will be able to do amazing things with the specs as rumored. Truly a generation gap. As I said, Crysis 3 at full max PC specs at 1080P 30 FPS should be easily attainable with the equivalent of a HD7850 there with little effort (because a HD7850 PC could), and that already looks amazing. With optimization it's almost hard to imagine what it can do.

4GB RAM is really key there. 2GB would make it still a good system but the RAM would be disappointing.

I thought they were designing the ARM CPU for use in mobile application?

Nvidia is gunning for the supercomputer market, and Microsofts OS support for ARM is useful in that effort...at least thats how I understand it. ARM for mobile devices and tables is another aspect of the Nvidia strategy.

In the background of this speculation you have IBM spending a lot of money on Power8 which is rumored to consist of lots of low power cores.

I wouldn't bet on Power8 being a lot of low power cores.
IBM promised that there would be more cores, but I haven't seen a disclosure indicating that they're backing off on the quite strong single-core performance.
If you want to find an IBM architecture with a lot of low-power cores, it would be a Blue Gene type system.

Well, in my experience: everyone doing HPC hates Windows OS with passion. It is really a Linux world and will stay this way imo.

Linux and x86 are heavily entrenched. This why I can see Microsoft and Nvidia having a decent working relationship beyond just a single contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back