Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me (as a PS3-exclusive console owner) that the hardware next generation is likely to be less interesting than the software. There are only so many CPUs and GPUs to pull out of the hat now, but whether or not Sony can come up with an operating system / network environment rich enough to be competitive next generation is a much more open question to me.

With the 4.0 firmware, the 'About..' item in the XMB now has a lot more disclosure about what software components Sony is using. Apparently, they're using eCOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECos) for at least pieces of their operating system, along with a great number of other open source componentry.

eCos is apparently a non-multitasking operating system, which fits with what I've seen on the PS3. I wonder if they'll have anything meaningfully better next time around.

Why phase out the 360?

They don't necessarily have to (much like Sony didn't with the ps2), but introducing a new console is usually a sign to the consumer to stop buying the old one. So, budget minded people are buying the old one while most people want the new one that is sold near a loss, if not at one (while it most likely plays the previous one's games).

On top of that, the WiiU doesn't put a lot of pressure on them to upgrade because people pretty much view Nintendo's consoles for casual gamers. Most see its feature list (besides the controller) as catching up to the current gen. So, they can only be pressured by Sony, but Sony is still trying to make the PS3 a profitable venture given all of those years up front of it not being profitable, so they seem unlikely to make the move first. So, the ball is really in their court to make the move, and I don't see them doing it while a profitable console and console accessory (kinect) are selling like hotcakes.

They don't necessarily have to (much like Sony didn't with the ps2), but introducing a new console is usually a sign to the consumer to stop buying the old one. So, budget minded people are buying the old one while most people want the new one that is sold near a loss, if not at one (while it most likely plays the previous one's games).

On top of that, the WiiU doesn't put a lot of pressure on them to upgrade because people pretty much view Nintendo's consoles for casual gamers. Most see its feature list (besides the controller) as catching up to the current gen. So, they can only be pressured by Sony, but Sony is still trying to make the PS3 a profitable venture given all of those years up front of it not being profitable, so they seem unlikely to make the move first. So, the ball is really in their court to make the move, and I don't see them doing it while a profitable console and console accessory (kinect) are selling like hotcakes.

Also, I forgot to mention (does this forum not have an edit button?) that they have a major system seller launching next fall in Halo 4, so it's obvious they still believe it has at least one more holiday of life in it.

I do know about Halo and the odds for a launch in 2012 I was just pointing that launching a new system is not phasing out the old one, the ps2 did really well 2 or 3 years after the ps3 launched.
Launching when after reaching a peak or wait for a significant decrease in sales is a business decision. Apple for example doesn't wait to be outdo to launch a new product and surf the momemtum not of 1 product but their brand.

Also, I forgot to mention (does this forum not have an edit button?) that they have a major system seller launching next fall in Halo 4, so it's obvious they still believe it has at least one more holiday of life in it.

Not necessarily the case. It could launch on the 360 and still see a release on the 720. Whatever plans MS has for their "forwards compatibility" concept. Still not really clear on how that would work, or is MS dropped the plan entirely. Just higher AA and AF doesn't seem like enough to me to brand it with that concept, but hey, I'm not in charge at MS.

Personally I'm hoping for "sooner" rather than later as my 360 shot craps (that's #5 for me, and all were DVD issues). Don't want to buy a 200$ 360 with a new version just around the corner. I don't think I havemuch hope.

I do know about Halo and the odds for a launch in 2012 I was just pointing that launching a new system is not phasing out the old one, the ps2 did really well 2 or 3 years after the ps3 launched.
Launching when after reaching a peak or wait for a significant decrease in sales is a business decision. Apple for example doesn't wait to be outdo to launch a new product and surf the momemtum not of 1 product but their brand.

You have to keep in mind that's only been a sony strategy. No other console maker has really dedicated support to a previous console after launch of a new one except them. Most have just been in the "Sell what we have on hand" mentality.

Apple doesn't have to wait to unveil a new product for a lot of reasons. One of the main reasons is that their ecosystem is their product. All of your apps/videos/music are guaranteed to work on the next hardware iteration, so that part is seamless. The second reason they have to iterate so fast is because that's what the competition does.

Not necessarily the case. It could launch on the 360 and still see a release on the 720. Whatever plans MS has for their "forwards compatibility" concept. Still not really clear on how that would work, or is MS dropped the plan entirely. Just higher AA and AF doesn't seem like enough to me to brand it with that concept, but hey, I'm not in charge at MS.

Personally I'm hoping for "sooner" rather than later as my 360 shot craps (that's #5 for me, and all were DVD issues). Don't want to buy a 200$ 360 with a new version just around the corner. I don't think I havemuch hope.

I would hope AA, AF, and maybe some higher res texture packs supported by the developer (if a first party title).

I've though about them doing that (a la nintendo and twilight princess), but I'm still skeptical overall simply because they would have announced it at E3 alongside the WiiU per typical unveil/release schedules.

I don't think waiting hurts them either because the longer they wait, the longer developers have dev kits in hand. However, I just don't want to see them wait and then end up releasing hardware they were obviously sitting on (say a GPU based on GCN when radeon 8xxx is on the market).

You have to keep in mind that's only been a sony strategy. No other console maker has really dedicated support to a previous console after launch of a new one except them. Most have just been in the "Sell what we have on hand" mentality.
Only Ms did stopped the production of one system brutaly. PS2 did especially well after the ps3 launch because it was doing especially well prior.
Apple doesn't have to wait to unveil a new product for a lot of reasons. One of the main reasons is that their ecosystem is their product. All of your apps/videos/music are guaranteed to work on the next hardware iteration, so that part is seamless. The second reason they have to iterate so fast is because that's what the competition does.
Now consider what Ms may want to do with the 'live', kinect, bing integration into the dashboard, etc. They may have another schedule than the one you or most consider sane. It's like having so long product cycles most would have considered it negatively in 2003. I still consider it badly and somehow circonstancial.

I would also add that wether WiiU may do fine I will remain convinced that Nintendo should have launch it earlier. But it's a conviction so I admit that there is not much to discuss by definition.
Going OT tho. Back to the 2012 launch speculation, if it were to happen I would still put my bet on the 45/40nm processes even if finer lityhography is not impossible per self.

Sucks you just missed the holiday deals!

I know the feeling though ... my ps2 died in late 2005 ... if not for a persistent wife, I wouldn't have bought a replacement.

Agreed on your comments WRT Halo4. Twilight Princess is a good example.

Last edited by a moderator:
GBA had it's best year ever in 2003.

Guess what launched in 2004?

Atari Flashback.

Only Ms did stopped the production of one system brutaly. PS2 did especially well after the ps3 launch because it was doing especially well prior.

I think that was a partial consequence of the PS3 costing $600 and creating such a chasm. A huge library for PS2 and continued developer support didn't hurt either. When you look at the end of the xbox's life, pretty much all the AAA titles were out a year prior and done with.

Now consider what Ms may want to do with the 'live', kinect, bing integration into the dashboard, etc. They may have another schedule than the one you or most consider sane. It's like having so long product cycles most would have considered it negatively in 2003. I still consider it badly and somehow circonstancial.

Are you having a progressive seizure? I understand your points but the writing is becoming progressively less coherent :D

I think the fact that this generation has been defined by online experience and auxiliary functions has really served to prolong the life cycle, along with higher development costs. I see that as a reason not to give up on the 360 now.

I would also add that wether WiiU may do fine I will remain convinced that Nintendo should have launch it earlier. But it's a conviction so I admit that there is not much to discuss by definition.
Going OT tho. Back to the 2012 launch speculation, if it were to happen I would still put my bet on the 45/40nm processes even if finer lityhography is not impossible per self.

Per self? I fully expect 28nm chips in the next xbox. I agree WiiU should have launched last year. Wii sales fell hard and quick.

You don't think the mobile hardware or market situation is considerably different?

Both are based on dedicated hardware to play games.

Enlighten me to the differences you have in mind aside from portability/power/price/replacement-schedule-due-to-portability-and-expected-low-price/demographics/smaller-playtime-windows.

Enlighten me to the differences you have in mind aside from portability/power/price/replacement-schedule-due-to-portability-and-expected-low-price/demographics/smaller-playtime-windows.

lol, let's just forget all the differences then talk about differences? You're hilarious. There's no point furthering this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back