Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone even sampling XDR2? What it looks like on paper and what it might be in reality, not always the same thing.

Price and availalability? It's not like XDRx is as omnipresent as GDDRx

Alphawolf

" Is anyone even sampling XDR2? What it looks like on paper and what it might be in reality, not always the same thing."

Perhaps you right,but there were samples of XDR before the ps3?

But maybe can make same as they did with XDR with no one used this (original Rambus have short period with intell but at the end only ps2 use it) with less than US$10 for 256MB in 2009 (today much less) according to Isuppli.

Eventually the lack of these samples they failed to fulfill the contract with the promised performance with Sony(they supplied 2 generations Rambus for this client)?

Therefore availability and price were never problems with sony for two generations and now they would be XDR2?

toshiba had xdr samples in 2003.

Rambus has fulfilled the performance specifications on paper for PS3 hardware?

We know that the ps2 had some latencies even 2channels 3.2GB/sec, but correct me if I'm wrong, never heard about problems with speed and performance XDR on ps3 (had much criticism from developers about programming for three types of memory etc.local store->XDR->GDDR3 ).

About XDR2...they have videos showing the performance of these modules will not be able to meet a possible demonstration and testing to manufacturers?

http://www.rambus.com/in/technology/solutions/xdr2/index.html

We'll know when someone makes one. Let me know when that happens, and then they could probably mass produce a year or so after that.

I know a person who is an investor of MoSys and other technological companies, we talked about Wii U a few days ago and I became surprised with a comment from him about the new console:

"Wii U uses 28nm manufacturing process from NEC and 1T-SRAM from MoSys"

I asked him how he could know it and he told me that this information have been shared to the investors of MoSys because Nintendo partnership is the more important one for them and any signal of losing the deal can be very dangerous for the health of MoSys business. Since he isn´t a technical person I didn´t ask him about technical specs, but the 28nm comment was very interesting.
Now that's a surprise. Or could be. Err.

I thought the Wii kept 1T-SRAM in only for backwards compatibility. It has the exact amount required to go into Gamecube mode properly, and not a single byte more. The rest of the memory is GDDR, which should be much cheaper not least because it's a high-volume product, used by many, made by many.

Just speculating here, but I wouldn't take this to mean that Nintendo is banking on a non-mainstream main memory type again. It's probably used again to achieve good backwards compatibility with the Wii (and potentially Gamecube downloadables). Or maybe embedded as framebuffer memory, but much larger this time to accomodate 720p.

... or both. A 24MB 1T-SRAM buffer at high speeds could be the Wii U's native frame buffer, and at other times, downclocked, an emulated Wii's or an emulated Gamecube's main memory bank.

The GPU might not even need the old framebuffer and texture cache memories to provide full-speed emulation.

I read Charlie (and some others) claims about the llano supply problems (we could also consider deceiving Bulldozer unofficial previews). AMD lacking aside it seems that GF 32nm process is not doing good. If Charlie was right about MS expecting the first silicon the first silicon for their SoC in 2012 Q1 I expect things to look bad. Basically the odds (already low) for an anticipated launch in fall 2012 are buried for good.

2012 launch was always almost ruled out (well, since e3) because Halo 4 360 is in holiday 2012. They're not going to do a massive marketing campaign for that AND bring out a new console.

2013 is possible.

Originally, yes. But with Kinect the 360 should have enough legs to last another year before it needs to be replaced.

And Gears 3 shown that 360 have some room for upgrade graphics and can sell 3M games in one week. So the NPD and EU sells numbers will be very interesting to survey this end of year. The UE4 is also expect to release in 2014 and target next consoles…

Now that's a surprise. Or could be. Err.

I thought the Wii kept 1T-SRAM in only for backwards compatibility. It has the exact amount required to go into Gamecube mode properly, and not a single byte more. The rest of the memory is GDDR, which should be much cheaper not least because it's a high-volume product, used by many, made by many.

Just speculating here, but I wouldn't take this to mean that Nintendo is banking on a non-mainstream main memory type again. It's probably used again to achieve good backwards compatibility with the Wii (and potentially Gamecube downloadables). Or maybe embedded as framebuffer memory, but much larger this time to accomodate 720p.

... or both. A 24MB 1T-SRAM buffer at high speeds could be the Wii U's native frame buffer, and at other times, downclocked, an emulated Wii's or an emulated Gamecube's main memory bank.

The GPU might not even need the old framebuffer and texture cache memories to provide full-speed emulation.

Even when I am the one who put the info into this thread I am skeptic about the use of the 1T-SRAM in Wii U. I am not saying that we aren´t going to see it into the motherboard but at the same time I doubt that it will be attached to the main GPU.

Do you remember the I/O Processor from PS2 that made the backwards compatibility possible and included 2MB of associated RAM? I believe that we are in front of a similar case, this time with a reduced Wii SoC and 88MB of 1T-SRAM as the associated memory for the small die that gives the Wii U the BC without affecting directly to the main CPU and main GPU design.

2012 launch was always almost ruled out (well, since e3) because Halo 4 360 is in holiday 2012. They're not going to do a massive marketing campaign for that AND bring out a new console.

2013 is possible.
Oops I completely forgot about Halo4 release (and in most my recent posts... :oops:).

Seems like a 2-bit website, but I found this rumors fun and plausible

http://sillegamer.com/?p=4231

The latest issue of Xbox World is reporting via the rumor section that a number of Microsoft developers are currently prepping a wave of brand new titles for the unannounced successor to the Xbox 360.

According to the November 2011 edition of the publication, a notable selection of high-profile development studios are now in the process of manning big-budget teams for a bout of new games for the Xbox 720.

Recent rumors floating about include the possibility that Turn 10 are hard at work on Forza 5 for the fabled next generation console, in addition to powerhouse developer Epic supposedly developing Gears of War 4 as a launch title for the device – tantalizingly rumored to be pegged in for a 2013 release.

”Rare, Lionhead and Turn 10 all have teams in place too – Rare, we hear, are even prototyping ideas for a new ‘mature’ title.”

Not sure I buy Gears 4 so soon (and without more leaks about it) but hey...at least they got 2013 (+) right. Any rumor claiming 2012 is suspect.

As much as I would like an upgraded 360, I think in the grand scheme of things the later they launch the more capable the hardware will be.

The wait isn't too painful for me personally. I think the current console games look pretty good. I can wait another year or two.

The wait isn't too painful for me personally. I think the current console games look pretty good. I can wait another year or two.

I'm with you NRP. I don't really feel the itch yet or a new console.
It could be that the current gen still has the ability to wow you at times.

Minds could be changed with a demo or vid of what the next gen will offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back