Predict: Next gen console tech (10th generation edition) [2028+]

It's interesting that PS4Pro had PS4 matched clocks in its core (original?) PS4 compatibility mode. Something there would seem to be timing dependent - at least if you wanted to be super sure. MS meanwhile could alter clocks at will with even just a refresh, but then again their software is supposed to be more abstracted.
Patents for BC also included things about timing. Which is extraordinarily retro! Timing specific code really shouldn't be a thing after 2010! We know that's not an issue for PS5 titles though as CPU and GPU have variable clocks.

Slightly OT but I wonder why PS3 emulation wasn't done on PS5 given it's more suitable judging by the CPU it has should be enough to emulate the Cell?. Or it just might be that Sony prefers to commercialize PS3 BC by making it exclusive to PS+. Were any modders able to play native PS3 games on PS5?

Slightly OT but I wonder why PS3 emulation wasn't done on PS5 given it's more suitable judging by the CPU it has should be enough to emulate the Cell?. Or it just might be that Sony prefers to commercialize PS3 BC by making it exclusive to PS+. Were any modders able to play native PS3 games on PS5?

I think it's just the incredibly tricky nature of emulating the PS3. RPCS3 is a spectacular piece of software engineering, but from what I gather, it still struggles in many instances on even the most powerful rigs. If the developers do truly manage to crack it, I could maybe see Sony following suit at some point afterwards.

I'd truly, truly love PS3 backwards compatibility on my PS5. Or even the PS6 if that's what it would take.

But remasters - or, realistically, ports - are more likely IMO. Which is an incredible shame when you consider the piss poor state of the GTA Trilogy remaster, the MGS 1+2+3 remaster, and the Red Dead Redemption remaster etc

But we're living in greed ridden times with many executives looking at slot machines and Half Life as though they're even remotely the same medium.

What's the hardest part for RPCS3 to emulate? If it's Cell, couldn't that be added as an absolutely miniscule coprocessor on the SOC? I've mentioned that before for PS5, but now with PS1 and 2 emulation possible, and PS4 and 5 being presumably forwards compatible with PS6 there'd be an odd hole if PS3 was missing. That is if Sony provide full platform BC, which they keep failing to commit to, having a PS2 library that they plain don't add much to.

What's the hardest part for RPCS3 to emulate? If it's Cell, couldn't that be added as an absolutely miniscule coprocessor on the SOC? I've mentioned that before for PS5, but now with PS1 and 2 emulation possible, and PS4 and 5 being presumably forwards compatible with PS6 there'd be an odd hole if PS3 was missing. That is if Sony provide full platform BC, which they keep failing to commit to, having a PS2 library that they plain don't add much to.
How many games still fully exclusive to PS3 console? I think Sony could do an emulator on PS5 but have no incentives to do so. I don't think they lose much sleep over not doing it.

I'd love that so much. Like the PS2 using the PS1 for IIRC its IO.

Now that you mention the odd gap in BC, I'd have thought it would be preferable for Sony's streaming plans to just have a single PlayStation SoC that can spin up and play any given game. Those PS3 CPU's and GPU's won't last forever, definitely aren't getting die shrinks, and surely can't even be manufactured anymore?

How many games still fully exclusive to PS3 console? I think Sony could do an emulator on PS5 but have no incentives to do so. I don't think they lose much sleep over not doing it.

Especially with remakes/remasters being as popular as they are. Shooting themselves in the bank account to cater to a niche audience doesn't seem a sound business strategy.

Games that Sony, sadly, no longer seem interested in such as the Resistance and Motorstorm series.

Although I really do miss the PS1, PS2 and PS3 era of Sony output ( I don't care much for their output on the PS4 and PS5, with exceptions of course) I do have to agree that it wouldn't really make sense for them to invest in PS3 emulation on PS5 hardware.

I definitely would be willing to pay for an official emulator running locally on PS5/PS6.

Games that Sony, sadly, no longer seem interested in such as the Resistance and Motorstorm series.

Although I really do miss the PS1, PS2 and PS3 era of Sony output ( I don't care much for their output on the PS4 and PS5, with exceptions of course) I do have to agree that it wouldn't really make sense for them to invest in PS3 emulation on PS5 hardware.

I definitely would be willing to pay for an official emulator running locally on PS5/PS6.
If they had it it's probably not going to be a one time purchase like an app, they'll more likely tie it in with PS+ for continouos revenue as consoles already transformed into subscription boxes.

What's interesting for this mid-gen cycle is that games are mainly GPU limited. On PS4 many games were 1080p 30fps with drops (often caused by CPU or I/O). Resolution usually wasn't the problem, getting games above 30fps was. This time many games don't even reach 1080p but easily reach 60fps (how many games without a performance mode? A handful?). Best case is Spider-man 2 averaging 1000p (heavily GPU limited) at 60fps and with still some CPU juice available, even at 60fps. And at 30fps the CPU is rarely even working above 50% even at high speed traversal and I/O working hard. And that's with hardware RT reflections.

It means a slight CPU overclock should be quite sufficient this time and a much better GPU will be immediately noticeable in those DRS games which wasn't the case before. DRS was rare and games that were CPU limited still were on Pro (and most games had a 30fps cap anyways). For those reasons this time a Pro console could be even more judicious and interesting (than before) for players wanting more from their games.

What's interesting for this mid-gen cycle is that games are mainly GPU limited. On PS4 many games were 1080p 30fps with drops (often caused by CPU or I/O). Resolution usually wasn't the problem, getting games above 30fps was. This time many games don't even reach 1080p but easily reach 60fps (how many games without a performance mode? A handful?). Best case is Spider-man 2 averaging 1000p (heavily GPU limited) at 60fps and with still some CPU juice available, even at 60fps. And at 30fps the CPU is rarely even working above 50% even at high speed traversal and I/O working hard. And that's with hardware RT reflections.

It means a slight CPU overclock should be quite sufficient this time and a much better GPU will be immediately noticeable in those DRS games which wasn't the case before. DRS was rare and games that were CPU limited still were on Pro (and most games had a 30fps cap anyways). For those reasons this time a Pro console could be even more judicious and interesting (than before) for players wanting more from their games.

Potentially great for PS5 Pro games. A bit miserable that even a $300m production can't leverage this gen's CPUs for interesting gameplay or world simulation.

It's pretty damning for gen 10 doing much useful with extra compute.

Potentially great for PS5 Pro games. A bit miserable that even a $300m production can't leverage this gen's CPUs for interesting gameplay or world simulation.

Indeed. On PS5 the best "next-gen" gameplay I have experienced is Monster Hunter World. But the devs have being polishing their monster hunter dynamic gameplay and world systems since PSP! Nintendo are also doing very well I heard... on a tablet cpu!

It's not about power, it's about intent, cleverness and polish.

Is it worth it for $699?
Won't be that high. Sony don't do such expensive consoles in US. I am predicting from $499 to $599. last time there was just $100 gap between PS4 ($299) and Pro ($399) and this was with a doubled GPU. This time they shouldn't even double it, just add +50% more CUs to it.

Won't be that high. Sony don't do such expensive consoles in US. I am predicting from $499 to $599. last time there was just $100 gap between PS4 ($299) and Pro ($399) and this was with a doubled GPU. This time they shouldn't even double it, just add +50% more CUs to it.

I don't expect $699 either, $599 tops but $499 would be only $50 higher than the digital PS5 slim less than a year after launch, that may be cutting it a little close. I'd say $550-$599.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is CPU capped, and I'd imagine GTAVI will be as well.

But yeah, there's not a whole of of things pushing AI or physics or whatever else you'd use a CPU for. Though more should appear as time goes on.

I don't expect $699 either, $599 tops but $499 would be only $50 higher than the digital PS5 slim less than a year after launch, that may be cutting it a little close. I'd say $550-$599.

The Slim is on sale for $399 with a copy of Spiderman 2 at the moment. $100 more than the slim makes sense. That being said slowing sales of the best selling console already shows how much Sony and MS need to switch to mobile consoles.

But! Next Xbox, if it launches in 2026, could be a 20CU 6tf machine for $399, then one with a $599 60Cu/24tf chip and a vastly more capable cooling system for when you plug it in. This gives customers of the bigger one a fast stationary machine and a mobile one at the same time.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is CPU capped, and I'd imagine GTAVI will be as well.

But yeah, there's not a whole of of things pushing AI or physics or whatever else you'd use a CPU for. Though more should appear as time goes on.

The Slim is on sale for $399 with a copy of Spiderman 2 at the moment. $100 more than the slim makes sense. That being said slowing sales of the best selling console already shows how much Sony and MS need to switch to mobile consoles.

But! Next Xbox, if it launches in 2026, could be a 20CU 6tf machine for $399, then one with a $599 60Cu/24tf chip and a vastly more capable cooling system for when you plug it in. This gives customers of the bigger one a fast stationary machine and a mobile one at the same time.
We don't know that actually, do we? to me the game seems more GPU limited. Quite a high resolution, long draw distances, plenty of graphics details etc. I mean, sure if they do single thread the main CPU job... But what they showed wasn't that impressive IMO. I have being more impressed by Monster Hunter World and that's running at virtually locked 60fps on Zen 2.

Anyways we'll quickly get our answer about Dragon's Dogma 2 as the game is thankfully uncapped.

Back