Predict: Next gen console tech (10th generation edition) [2028+]

What's the issue? Gamers will stop buying consoles and buy PCs instead?

No, the issue is gaining those kind of performance increases in a time where they don't really exist anymore in that particular performance tier consoles typically shop around in.

The performance increase from the 6600XT (Desktop equivalent of PS5) to the RDNA3 powered 7600XT was only 13%.

The gains are so small at the moment that it may prove to be really difficult to even get to a 2x increase while remaining price competitive.

In fact, if we look at AMD X600 tier GPU's for the last 4 years.

5600XT: 100% baseline ($279)
6600XT: +28% ($379)
7600XT: +45% ($329)

AMD X700 tier

5700XT: 100% baseline ($399)
6700XT: +35% ($479)
7700XT: +65% ($449)

I'm just failing to see where these huge gen on gen performance increases are going to come from that will enable a 2/3x performance uplift.

RDNA4 will give us some clues, if it followers a similar gen on gen uplift in the performance tiers as seen above, the next gen of consoles may very well struggle to get to a 2x increase while remaining price competitive.

If RDNA4 breaks the current trend and sees huge gen on gen increases then a 2x (or higher) increase might be possible.

But at the minute, I don't see it.

PC is no better in reality and I've thought to myself many a time over the last 12 months that depending on how performance and pricing goes my current PC might very well be my last.

Last edited:
Some would argue that the 4090 is already faster than the ps6....

I mean, who knows what PS6 even is outside Sony, though some patents and prototypes from Sony about weird super haptic feedback VR stuff suggest they're at least trying out new and interesting to see if something works. It easily could be much faster than a 4090, or a mobile first platform that doesn't care about speeds above a PS5.

Besides, RDNA4 releases at Computex and maxes out at mid high end, seems more about competing with 4XXX Super. RDNA5 is really what AMD is going all in on. Not that I suspect anyone should care about "building for next gen!". It's taken 3 and a half years to get to something that actually uses new consoles in an interesting way (Dragon's Dogma 2). We'll probably watch PS5 and Series X get supported through 2032 or later at this rate.

I wonder what that will do to the high end GPU market. How far will people care? If it runs 4k 60 is that enough, 4k 120, 8k 240, does anyone even care at that point, if a GPU that runs at 1k watts will people care? There's research into 2k+ watts, will people care then, if you have to run the power supply into one of those utility plugs in your house meant for electric stoves and such is that too much?

Last edited:
No, the issue is gaining those kind of performance increases in a time where they don't really exist anymore in that particular performance tier consoles typically shop around in.

The performance increase from the 6600XT (Desktop equivalent of PS5) to the RDNA3 powered 7600XT was only 13%.

The gains are so small at the moment that it may prove to be really difficult to even get to a 2x increase while remaining price competitive.

In fact, if we look at AMD X600 tier GPU's for the last 4 years.

5600XT: 100% baseline ($279)
6600XT: +28% ($379)
7600XT: +45% ($329)

AMD X700 tier

5700XT: 100% baseline ($399)
6700XT: +35% ($479)
7700XT: +65% ($449)

I'm just failing to see where these huge gen on gen performance increases are going to come from that will enable a 2/3x performance uplift.

RDNA4 will give us some clues, if it followers a similar gen on gen uplift in the performance tiers as seen above, the next gen of consoles may very well struggle to get to a 2x increase while remaining price competitive.

If RDNA4 breaks the current trend and sees huge gen on gen increases then a 2x (or higher) increase might be possible.

But at the minute, I don't see it.

PC is no better in reality and I've thought to myself many a time over the last 12 months that depending on how performance and pricing goes my current PC might very well be my last.
This is a big part of why I wish this current gen would just last til 2030. More time for devs/pubs to make use of the current tech and release more games before having to reset and deal with all the increased costs that come with the 'next gen' of graphics/capabilities. And it gives the hardware more time to actually improve so we can get a satisfactory leap in capabilities once it does come around.

That said, RDNA3 was a big flop, and the 7600XT and 7700XT are clearly overpriced. Just because AMD(and especially Nvidia) are gouging on prices for much of their stuff doesn't mean much in terms of what console manufacturers could actually offer at near-cost. Lovelace was a huge improvement in actual performance and efficiency, for instance. So there's definitely still plenty of meat on the bone to improve things. AMD really came through with RDNA2 and just need to do it again.

We can also hope that there's more competition in the foundry space by the end of the gen as well. Being able to choose Intel or Samsung without compromising performance or efficiency significantly could lead to Sony/Microsoft(and AMD and Nvidia on the PC side) being able to potentially negotiate better prices.

That's the issue though.

3x pixel power in the GPU tier consoles typically shop in is wildly unrealistic, as that performance tier doesn't increase enough gen on gen to get to 3x.
I don't understand this narrative at all.

My XSX offers at least 3x the pixel power that my X1 did. Probably closer to 4x.

Why would the next gen Xbox be any different?

I mean, who knows what PS6 even is outside Sony, though some patents and prototypes from Sony about weird super haptic feedback VR stuff suggest they're at least trying out new and interesting to see if something works. It easily could be much faster than a 4090, or a mobile first platform that doesn't care about speeds above a PS5.

Besides, RDNA4 releases at Computex and maxes out at mid high end, seems more about competing with 4XXX Super. RDNA5 is really what AMD is going all in on. Not that I suspect anyone should care about "building for next gen!". It's taken 3 and a half years to get to something that actually uses new consoles in an interesting way (Dragon's Dogma 2). We'll probably watch PS5 and Series X get supported through 2032 or later at this rate.

I wonder what that will do to the high end GPU market. How far will people care? If it runs 4k 60 is that enough, 4k 120, 8k 240, does anyone even care at that point, if a GPU that runs at 1k watts will people care? There's research into 2k+ watts, will people care then, if you have to run the power supply into one of those utility plugs in your house meant for electric stoves and such is that too much?
What does Dragon’s Dogma do that’s interesting?

What does Dragon’s Dogma do that’s interesting?

It's entirely CPU capped, lots of physics and AI that apparently goes into making random battles the funnest part of the whole game. I'm playing Forbidden West first so I'm just going off reviews right now, but apparently it works, even if other parts of the game are a bit clunky and outdated.

It's entirely CPU capped, lots of physics and AI that apparently goes into making random battles the funnest part of the whole game. I'm playing Forbidden West first so I'm just going off reviews right now, but apparently it works, even if other parts of the game are a bit clunky and outdated.
I've only seen a few videos, but the world seems very static with little in the way of any physics whatsoever. I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming DF video to better understand what the game is doing to pummel the CPU so hard.

Somehow, I seriously doubt the cause of DDs cpu issues have anything to do with physics and ai. If I were to bet, I’d bet on very bad code. Unoptimized code. From what I’ve seen in gameplay, its physics are well behind Tears of the kingdom on switch. After that game, it becomes very hard to use physics as an excuse for poor performance.

It is true that the performance gain of PC hardware has slowed down somewhat, but not nearly as much as some here think. Here is a benchmark comparing AMD 6700xt vs 7700xt:

A 27% compute increase can therefore be realized. If we start from this, then:

1(current console gen)x1.27x1.27x1.27x1.27= 3.30x (next console gen if 2026 debut)

obsession

1(current console gen)x1.27x1.27x1.27x1.27x1.27= 4.19x (next console gen if 2028 debut)

It is clearly visible that a 3-4x basic raster performance increase is expected. Of course, other technological capabilities are added to this. Thus, the performance of the next gen consoles is expected to be significantly higher than the Nvidia 4900 VGA, even when the console debuts in 2026!

It is true that the performance gain of PC hardware has slowed down somewhat, but not nearly as much as some here think. Here is a benchmark comparing AMD 6700xt vs 7700xt:

A 27% compute increase can therefore be realized. If we start from this, then:

1(current console gen)x1.27x1.27x1.27x1.27= 3.30x (next console gen if 2026 debut)

obsession

1(current console gen)x1.27x1.27x1.27x1.27x1.27= 4.19x (next console gen if 2028 debut)

It is clearly visible that a 3-4x basic raster performance increase is expected. Of course, other technological capabilities are added to this. Thus, the performance of the next gen consoles is expected to be significantly higher than the Nvidia 4900 VGA, even when the console debuts in 2026!

Why are you using the 6700XT?

Because in the PC space, AMD's 5700 and 6700 GPUs can be considered the closest performance base compared to current consoles.

Even Digital Foundry showed that even the basic 6700 can be considerably faster than PS5.

PS5 is typically closer to the 6600Xt in terms of Tflops.

Back