Post *your* Lair impressions/experiences

I am at the "Find water" level, and am enjoying the game so far. But I have lowered my Lair score to 6 (from 7) at this point. It is clear that Lair is incomplete.

It's like someone walked into the office on a random Monday and told the developers to go home, and the release engineer to ship the game. It is pretty close to completion but there are still glaring bugs in the game play.

The bombing run mission is the worst level compared to earlier ones (which IMHO were pretty good).

For example, the targeting may switch targets in an unpredictable manner. There seems to be a lag in identifying targets occassionally. This can cause confusion when multiple enemies swoop past me in different directions. Sometimes while hot on persuit, the game allowed me to ignore the nearest creature. Then all of a sudden, I may get pulled back to that creature even after I passed it a second ago. And then the game seems to realize its mistake and refocus me back to my original target within a second.

The QA team did not have time to test the mission well. The level was built with a particular pace in mind, and the cut scene will play out according to some fixed timeline regardless of where you really are in the game. I was happily grabbing and destroying a tower when suddenly, a cut scene would show me picking up a bomb from the mantas mid-air. After the cut scene, I was already air-bourned from the tower. I had to do a 180 degree turn quickly to go back and shake the tower again. After 2-3 shakes, all of a sudden, I would be teleported/flying again and had to return to the tower for the second time to take it down. You get the idea.

The rest of the level is actually pretty interesting and fun.

I did not encounter these issues in earlier levels. The next level "Find water" is good so far. It can get frustrating because there is no map/radar to assist the search. F5 should at least allow the player to plant/drop beacons in the map to identify travelled paths.

It's a pity because I like the settings, the visuals and the play mechanics. They should have delayed the game for 2 more months to address these holes.

If F5 can't afford to fix it all the way, they should at least let the consumers mod it :) The game will shine given more time.

for me, im just glad they didnt implement a radar system even though it could b harder. i dont want lair turn into Ace combat or X-wing chase. the cutscenes do annoy the hell outta me sometimes, but aside from that a find lair to be the MOST enjoyable game i played thus far on any platform. playing it on my 42" hd plasma and surround sound beats any pc games personally.

Sure, as some said, The core game mechanic is not bad. Unfortunately, F5 and Sony short changed themselves by giving up on this game early.

There is a lot of potential and a few gems here (e.g. The sea serpent level is great, the scale and freedom is impressive, dragon flight is liberating, the control is great _if_ they fixed the level specific bugs, ...). I wonder if the engine can be reused for another game.

I have not tried Lair Remote Play with 3.71 yet. Perhaps later.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a "Mastering the Beast" movie up on PSN for Lair now. Shows you how to control it better. Not a bad move at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah, I'm already an ace in dragon flight ;-)

The "tutorial" is fine and all, but I need them to patch out the bugs. In my honest assessment, the gameplay fell apart in specific areas (The "Fire Storm" level) because those areas are not done/tuned yet. People think it's the control because it's their only access to the game.

I think it's a bit too late for that, don't you think? People that have played it, hate it and spread it to their friends. I don't think it's going to boast sales. Rather I see this as a mere defeat that their game sucks.

Im with Arch. An option for analog control will not make this a good game. That's not enough to bring me back to it!

I think it's a bit too late for that, don't you think? People that have played it, hate it and spread it to their friends.
Aha! So few people bought it that the bad experience can't have spread far! Redo the controls, float up a free demo that people will try just because they're curious, even those who hated the original design, and if the game was worth something and was just sadly mangled by the controls, it should get some more sales anyhow. Which is more money for Factor 5 at only the cost of a patch. Worth a try.

Aha! So few people bought it that the bad experience can't have spread far! Redo the controls, float up a free demo that people will try just because they're curious, even those who hated the original design, and if the game was worth something and was just sadly mangled by the controls, it should get some more sales anyhow. Which is more money for Factor 5 at only the cost of a patch. Worth a try.

A demo would be a wise choice. Along with lowered price at retail. They can surely sell a few copies that way.

A demo would be a wise choice. Along with lowered price at retail. They can surely sell a few copies that way.
+1.

isn't it easy to implement analog controls? if so, why didn't they do this sooner? i think its too late, but i think this will get some people interested.

+1.

isn't it easy to implement analog controls? if so, why didn't they do this sooner? i think its too late, but i think this will get some people interested.

hopefully because they were fixing other things in the game.......

looking forward to the patch.....

I can understand what everyone's problem is, but honestly I didn't have a problem with it. Lair is a great game, only real problem was the occasional slow down.

FYI, Lair was one of those highly anticipated titles for PS3 last year. It bomb to the point that people wish they can forget it. Others did not need to experience Lair for them to be turn off by it. It's all thanks to the media. I'm pretty sure everybody have heard about Lair now.

Factor 5 was against analog controls. They even went their way by not allowing an option for players. By going back on their words it makes them look like fools considering it's been a good while since it's release. It would be in their best interest to put it behind them and move on now.

FYI, Lair was one of those highly anticipated titles for PS3 last year. It bomb to the point that people wish they can forget it. Others did not need to experience Lair for them to be turn off by it. It's all thanks to the media. I'm pretty sure everybody have heard about Lair now.

Factor 5 was against analog controls. They even went their way by not allowing an option for players. By going back on their words it makes them look like fools considering it's been a good while since it's release. It would be in their best interest to put it behind them and move on now.

I actually agree with you, but I also think that the Giant Sea Snake level and the grand scale can swing some votes. So it's back to tweaking the perceived value (drop price or cheap bundle). It'd be a waste if no one get to experience it.

They need to release new demo, but not some opening level. They need to showcase some really epic scenes, not some lame training stuff...

That's awesome ! I hope they fix all the major complains about the game. Scale-wise, the game is still unsurpassed.

Back