Poll: Buying XB1 revisited post DRM change

How has the DRM change affected you?

• Total voters
I just don't get it. If you felt the cloud was a winner in the first place then it would seem more likely than not that it will be supported, on it's own merits. Also weren't the Xbox fans saying that everyone of consequence to MS already had Internet access... only those folks in submarines etc. ... I don't know why there is such a rush to jettison the console. The only thing that you are losing is the ability not to have to swap discs and the family share plan ( whatever that turned out to be ).

I think a lot more has changed. Before, the 24 our check-in ensured that all clients had some form of internet. Now there is no guarantee that they do.1st parties and games bankrolled by Microsoft will still support cloud to be sure, but at third parties it's no longer guaranteed. That's because now anytime someone suggests doing something cloud related in a development meeting, you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will ask if it's worth it to support an optional console feature. Because now that's what cloud on the xb1 is to 3rd parties, it's an optional feature that I predict many will ignore. It's a massive difference. All decisions have consequences and I fear this one will unfortunately neuter broad cloud support amongst 3rd parties. What make this potentially catastrophic to me, and this is just my personal opinion, is that looking back at the current gen all the best stuff came from 3rd parties. So to me I was counting on them to push the cloud envelope. Not having them on board is a serious loss. I would love to be proven wrong here, but my gut tells me that bean counters will not be thrilled to support a console feature that isn't standard.

Regarding your other points, I haven't used discs in years and I'm not interested in doing so ever again. Likewise the family plan was *hugely* appealing to us. Looking deeper I think mandatory internet and broad sharing of content could have set a new president in the industry. Now I fear that others will see Microsoft's failure and be too afraid to try it themselves, resulting in setting back digital content freedom many years along with all the innovations that could have come along with mandatory internet. Ultimately if you remove enough features the new consoles become primitive pc's that just play games, I simply don't see the appeal in that when I already have a pc that can do that better, faster and cheaper.

What card are you looking at ?? I'm looking for something to run Titanfall if I don't get the 360 version ( not that I'll need a 500 dollar card to do that but .. )

I don't know just yet, my current setup can run all games maxed at 60fps 1080p anyways so there's not a big rush to upgrade, I'm probably good for this year and part into next. I'll have to wait until some game comes out that can't run at that spec then I'll see what's out there at the time. My guess is that it'll be an Nvidia 8xx series card.

Last edited by a moderator:
So amazing that the vocal minority, of which a not insignificant amount had no intentions on buying anyway and still won't since now they'll point to "LOL Kinect + Fort Meade!" but took part in the lambasting under the guise of "consumer rights".

I'm even more floored by things as mind-numbingly dumb as the Navy Times article...I mean the "military" can't play...so...fucking...what...considering how TINY the number of people it would actually affect. TINY as in the ENTIRE US Military Active Duty has FEWER people than MSFT has SOLD-THROUGH units in JAPAN think about that...of that EVEN FEWER are even deployed somewhere. Over 80% of the Navy has NEVER seen ship/boat duty. NIPRNet and obviously SIPRNet are not designed to be gaming networks.

great post! :D

Yeah, that's the thing, most of the pro-DRM guys said this wont change anybodies minds anyway, and by this poll it didn't.

But of course we are not the public.

XB1 has held the top spot on Amazon best seller for at least a couple days now and more XB1 software seem to be creeping into the top 20 as well for whatever that's worth. The "positive" press cant hurt.

Here's all Joe Public knew: "It bans used games!" (not true, but the perception regardless) and "24 hr check in!". Both those are now gone.

I'm not sure I'm pro old DRM anymore now that I think the 10 person share was highly limited.

BTW "launch day edition" XB1's are still available right now on Amazon (they have been sold out off and on). Which I understand means you get it day 1 guaranteed. So is this "no yield issues" or "it's selling crap" spin? Take your pick :LOL:

Another thing that makes it hard to judge is the whole "day 1" SKU thing anyway. It doesn't seem to clearly exist for Sony (I think Amazon just invented the term for PS4's you get on launch day, it's not an actual SKU like it is on Xbox). So things get muddled as to demand, sales, etc.

As of now PS4 launch day edition is unavailable/sold out. The "standard" edition PS4 is available, but it's first come first served imo.

So again, pick your spin, XB1 is not having yield issues/PS4 is, PS4 is selling awesome/out XB1 is not :LOL:

Xbone also only has one system in that list, whereas PS4 has 5 with 1 unavailable.:smile:

Doesn't change anything for me.Still cost lots more while being weaker:LOL:

I might get an XB1 now instead of PS4 but it is not entirely due to the removal of DRM, the XB1 launch lineup looks better (DR3, FM5 and Below interest me) and Kinect is cool.

I'll be mainly waiting to see how the multiplats look come November to make my decision, if there's not too much difference might go with XB1.

But then Vita cross play is tempting too, so I don't know - sigh.

if your in jersey interference you can have my xbox one pre order , its number 1 at my local gamestop.

Yeah, that's the thing, most of the pro-DRM guys said this wont change anybodies minds anyway, and by this poll it didn't.:

Uhh.. Yeah. It's funny how things work out, because while they will swear up and down that they were interested in or might have been interested in the next MS console, they seem to all have lost their minds when they answered this poll question.

Because the Sony fans, those who were complaining so loudly about all of the "consumer rights" that were being trampled on by the One's policies have said in this poll.. They weren't going to buy one anyway. And this reversal of policy makes no impact AT ALL on their decision.

It's far more interesting to look at those who aren't going to buy one AFTER this reversal of policy. And I can name names. Myself, Joker, Alphawolf, NavNuc is still up in the air, Jedi, etc.

The reversal of their policies and the corresponding loss of functionality has totally KILLED the interest of their primary user base in favor of people who were never going to buy the console anyway.

I don't really blame the Sonyfanbois for making such a huge stink. They lost the paid multiplayer battle, and so they waged a war on this front. I get it. My problem isn't with them, my problem is with MS actually listening to them and then reacting in such a manner that it vanquishes their original vision and leaves them with nothing but a gimped console.

Because while the console architecture and hardware is extremely similar, the original gambit was that dedicating so many resources to managing DD only content and the interaction between DD content would provide a better experience at the expense of shear power, while the PS4 went for shear power.

When you give up what is supposed to be your difference maker, but you've already made engineering decisions based upon that difference maker knowing that you're giving up shear power, it's just a huge unmitigated clusterfuck.

The One was designed from the bottom up to do things the PS4 couldn't do. But that relied upon all media being digital media and being in the cloud. As soon as physical media started seeping into the equation, the entire thing got lost.

I think this launch is actually leagues worse than the Dreamcast launch. I'm not sure the One will exist a year after launch.

It's launch titles are impressive, and there is a fan base, so maybe 1 year is too pessimistic. Especially if the console is making a profit at launch. But I really see a race to the bottom between the WiiU and the One at this point unless MS changes direction yet again.

This is just unfathomably retarded.

If you want to be a visionary, if you want to make change happen, you need to have the fortitude and the capital in order to make that change occur. MS clearly has the capital to make it work, but apparently, the people in charge didn't have the fortitude. So now we're left with what we've got today.

It's pathetic.

I don't know just yet, my current setup can run all games maxed at 60fps 1080p anyways so there's not a big rush to upgrade, I'm probably good for this year and part into next. I'll have to wait until some game comes out that can't run at that spec then I'll see what's out there at the time. My guess is that it'll be an Nvidia 8xx series card.

I gotta a Core I7 ... somewhere around here awaiting a nice mid level card which 9 months from now ( mmm a gestation period ...) will most likely be quite reasonable. A slow PCIe bus means a quickly evolving GPU species.

I think a lot more has changed. Before, the 24 our check-in ensured that all clients had some form of internet. Now there is no guarantee that they do.1st parties and games bankrolled by Microsoft will still support cloud to be sure, but at third parties it's no longer guaranteed.
The connectivity requirement for check-in, per Microsoft's own description, would guarantee something ranging from high-end broadband to a few seconds tethered to a mobile phone for a paltry number of kilobytes.
The former is great, the latter is just as good as connecting the console to a tin can with a taut string.

That's because now anytime someone suggests doing something cloud related in a development meeting, you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will ask if it's worth it to support an optional console feature.
Could you elaborate on the changed dynamic? Prior to this Microsoft simply wrote off those people that couldn't provide the connection. They would have never been part of the cloud functionality cost/benefits analysis in the first place.
What would make a cloud solution that made sense for a target market of X million connected customers not make sense for a market of X million connected + Y offline customers?

From that perspective, doesn't that sound like the cloud functionality could be discarded because the broader platform brought better opportunities?

An alternative explanation is that the bean counters only see the bigger customer pool and the cloud functionality's unchanged upside just looks smaller.
Given the curious numbers and accounting coming from the industry these days, I can't rule out the latter.

Uhh.. Yeah. It's funny how things work out, because while they will swear up and down that they were interested in or might have been interested in the next MS console, they seem to all have lost their minds when they answered this poll question.

Because the Sony fans, those who were complaining so loudly about all of the "consumer rights" that were being trampled on by the One's policies have said in this poll.. They weren't going to buy one anyway. And this reversal of policy makes no impact AT ALL on their decision.

It's far more interesting to look at those who aren't going to buy one AFTER this reversal of policy. And I can name names. Myself, Joker, Alphawolf, NavNuc is still up in the air, Jedi, etc.

The reversal of their policies and the corresponding loss of functionality has totally KILLED the interest of their primary user base in favor of people who were never going to buy the console anyway.

I don't really blame the Sonyfanbois for making such a huge stink. They lost the paid multiplayer battle, and so they waged a war on this front. I get it. My problem isn't with them, my problem is with MS actually listening to them and then reacting in such a manner that it vanquishes their original vision and leaves them with nothing but a gimped console.

Because while the console architecture and hardware is extremely similar, the original gambit was that dedicating so many resources to managing DD only content and the interaction between DD content would provide a better experience at the expense of shear power, while the PS4 went for shear power.

When you give up what is supposed to be your difference maker, but you've already made engineering decisions based upon that difference maker knowing that you're giving up shear power, it's just a huge unmitigated clusterfuck.

The One was designed from the bottom up to do things the PS4 couldn't do. But that relied upon all media being digital media and being in the cloud. As soon as physical media started seeping into the equation, the entire thing got lost.

I think this launch is actually leagues worse than the Dreamcast launch. I'm not sure the One will exist a year after launch.

It's launch titles are impressive, and there is a fan base, so maybe 1 year is too pessimistic. Especially if the console is making a profit at launch. But I really see a race to the bottom between the WiiU and the One at this point unless MS changes direction yet again.

This is just unfathomably retarded.

If you want to be a visionary, if you want to make change happen, you need to have the fortitude and the capital in order to make that change occur. MS clearly has the capital to make it work, but apparently, the people in charge didn't have the fortitude. So now we're left with what we've got today.

It's pathetic.
Waiting on what they do is only sensible.

Well, now we better stay together in the community and trust them, ;) they set an example of good work -rrod aside- during the Xbox and Xbox 360 era, where they went from underdog to the main role model.

There will be a second chance. We are still young.

Could you elaborate on the changed dynamic? Prior to this Microsoft simply wrote off those people that couldn't provide the connection. They would have never been part of the cloud functionality cost/benefits analysis in the first place.
What would make a cloud solution that made sense for a target market of X million connected customers not make sense for a market of X million connected + Y offline customers?

Thanks for doing a better job at explaining things than I can here.

As for not wanting to use discs anymore I have to think they will go away on their own.

I planned on getting the XBONE now known as XBOX 180, but it just moved closer towards the purchase date since i honestly didn't feel the need to support their stupid game activation .

Now i will buy it when they patch the firmware so it doesn't need to be connected to the internet to get the box activated.

I planned on getting the XBONE now known as XBOX 180, but it just moved closer towards the purchase date since i honestly didn't feel the need to support their stupid game activation .

Now i will buy it when they patch the firmware so it doesn't need to be connected to the internet to get the box activated.
What do you mean tkf? If I understood them correctly, activating the box is but connecting it to the internet so you can patch the firmware yourself from day one. I am surprised by the fact that they can't patch it before themselves. Am I missing anything?

You gotta da vita ;)?? if so why wouldn't you get a PS4 and actually be able to play some games on that thing :D

No, I was going to buy one but decided to wait until I get a PS4 or XB1.

No point buying one now when you're only going to really use it in 6 months time.

I'm also not sure how well Remote Play will work in my house with our network etc. so prefer buying one when I can return it if Remote Play is not working satisfactorily.

Do people here in this forum really think that MS turned 180 because some Sonyfanbois were angry in the web? Really?

No one thinks it might has to do with hard facts, like actual underperforming 'not meeting the goal' preorder numbers?

Since the newest MS announcement, B3D turned crazy.

I think all of you guys are quite a bit drama queens and over reacting when turning your back at X1. The X1 is a wonderful device and is still day 1!

I can't believe that your only motivation to buy a One was its DRM functionality...what about all the other stuff...e.g. err, never interested in the actual games?? And why in hell turn to PC, just better graphics, but all the Live functionality and convenience gone...does not compute and again seems quite overreacting?!?

Edit: you guys seen the Respawn movie about the cloud and dedicated servers? You guys are aware of how much this has an actual impact on the online gameplay?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe that your only motivation to buy a One was its DRM functionality

No they also want to share games instead of paying for all new ones and screwing publishers and developers just like the those used game buying weasels.;)

Of course the XB1 is gonna be a fine TV/App/Gaming platform with lots of attractive ads delivered via the 3rd display plane. The virtual machine system is actually quite interesting and definitely next gen. When are they going to sing the praises of that ?

Since the newest MS announcement, B3D turned crazy.

Edit: you guys seen the Respawn movie about the cloud and dedicated servers? You guys are aware of how much this has an actual impact on the online gameplay?!

That seems true ! Never seen B3D go bonkers like this !
BTW, can you give me a link for tht video?

On topic,

I will wait and watch for this one. I don't see any ways my games becomes uber cool due to cloud as of now. Dedicated servers isn't something new, doesn't excite me. For me the best implementation in an SP game till now was Demons Souls, the way players death were shown to me and messages littered around. But we didn't need an Xboxone for that. So if it possible everywhere I am still with the cheaper hardware here. but alteast after the removal of the restrictions, Xbone is at least back into consideration.

but MS isn't making things rosy for me at all. First, they say it will be available in Asia only in 2014. Second, Kinect doesn't understand me. MS has clearly stated it won't work for me. Third, all the rest of TV stuff also doesn't work for me. So, if they give me an option of buying it without kinect or it goes cheaper anyways after a year or so and they can show me better games down the line than the ones I am already playing on my PC and PS4 at that time, then yes, why not ! :p A Gamers gotta have his fun !

but MS isn't making things rosy for me at all. First, they say it will be available in Asia only in 2014. Second, Kinect doesn't understand me. MS has clearly stated it won't work for me. Third, all the rest of TV stuff also doesn't work for me.

they say xbox one are region free. Maybe it will allow ASIA to make US fake account.
with fake US account, kinect still works fine on Xbox 360.

dont know about netflix etc. is it ip blocked?

as for the TV. Does MS give an app to manually assign channel? If it does, then people can buy cheap chinese tv tunner and plug it to xbox.

Back