Playstation Live ...No Try Playstation Life

there is a second page of the article. Not sure if poeple have seen it but....

PSinext forum is a great place for info ;)

Well, big credit to Kb for providing that information. ;)

I have to say, the second part of the article is even more interesting than the first - in my opinion by far. It essentially gives reason to believe that not only will the PS3 indeed serve as a base station for 'location free' PSP functionality, but also that the PS3 itself will function as a DVR. The source is that same anonymous fellow as quoted earlier in the article I believe, but I won't lie in that he's speaking to my dreams.

Anyway...

Cheers indeed KB.

Nothing in the second part of the article is really too outrageous - a lot of it ties in with what Sony has said already - except the DVR bit, IMO. If he's talking about download TV shows and movies etc., that's great and all, but it's not DVR. As the article acknowledges itself, there's no apparent way to get video into the PS3, so..

(Like you xbdestroya, i think it would be awesome if that were possible..it'd be great to be able to set up recording schedules, and transfer stuff over to your PSP on your way out or whatever, to watch on the train into work :) but i think that is but a dream..at least downloadable shows seem likely, which is the next best thing).

Hey the downloading I'm just going to take as a given, but I can't not think about the DVR thing now. I'm going to trust the knowledge of the quoted speaker enough to know that downloading content and replaying it is not DVR functionality. Now - it may not come to pass, but if he's truly confusing his terms to that extent, well... ugh.

If Sony really want to own the living room, DVR is a smart addition. I've been considering getting a DVR machine as our VCR is packing up, but Id like a full feature one and they're not cheap. Next gen gaming+HD movies+DVR would make for a very versatile machine. Could Sony pull that off with one box and achieve DVR recording alongside gameplaying though?

Shifty Geezer said:
If Sony really want to own the living room, DVR is a smart addition. I've been considering getting a DVR machine as our VCR is packing up, but Id like a full feature one and they're not cheap. Next gen gaming+HD movies+DVR would make for a very versatile machine. Could Sony pull that off with one box and achieve DVR recording alongside gameplaying though?
It wouldn't be a good idea. MS's approach with using the PC is much better.

If the PS3 was a DVR, it wouldn't be able to work while you were playing a game, meaning it would be hit or miss whetehr your shows actually got recorded, and kinda defeats the purpose of have the DVR in the first place.

With 360's approach, I can go to my guide, start a recording, then launch a game and have the PC do the recording in the background. That's the only way I see a game console working effectively as a PVR, when it's acting as a glorified task scheduler for your PC.

scooby_dooby said:

If the PS3 was a DVR, it wouldn't be able to work while you were playing a game, meaning it would be hit or miss whetehr your shows actually got recorded, and kinda defeats the purpose of have the DVR in the first place.

With 360's approach, I can go to my guide, start a recording, then launch a game and have the PC do the recording in the background. That's the only way I see a game console working effectively as a PVR, when it's acting as a glorified task scheduler for your PC.
Thats not true, I have Comcast DVR and I can have 2 simultaneous records on the seperate tuners and watch something on On Demand, all at the same time. Besides can't the PS3 do many HDTV signals simutaneously on the Cell chip? That should be enough to do a recording and play a game at the same time.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Thats not true, I have Comcast DVR and I can have 2 simultaneous records on the seperate tuners and watch something on On Demand, all at the same time. Besides can't the PS3 do many HDTV signals simutaneously on the Cell chip? That should be enough to do a recording and play a game at the same time.

Of course it's possible but It will decrease the performance of the machine. Meaning games will not be allowed to take advantage of all the power available, a certain amount of RAM, certain amount if bandwidth and CPU power would have to be reserved. While they could do it would be a big sacrifice, 100% of games are downgraded to satisfy a minority who would like a PVR. I really don't see that being a reasonable suggestion.

Hell the 360 can't even download a file in the background while playing a game, and this is MS they know a thing or two about software. If Sony, who generally writes horrible softare, manages a PVR while playing I'll eat my shoe...

Last edited by a moderator:
xbdestroya said:
Hey the downloading I'm just going to take as a given, but I can't not think about the DVR thing now. I'm going to trust the knowledge of the quoted speaker enough to know that downloading content and replaying it is not DVR functionality. Now - it may not come to pass, but if he's truly confusing his terms to that extent, well... ugh.

Unless they add an input for video of some kind, component, coax., composite... this won't be happening. From the pictures of the PS3 that I've seen I didn't see any video inputs. Of course this can all change, but I think he was confusing his terms. Plus if there's no HDD built-in, there'd be nothing to save stuff on.

Sony is planning to take the media center functionality that Microsoft built inot the XBOX 360 a big step forward. It will allow the PS3 to stream all major video and audio formats over a home network. Location Free playback using the PSP is still planned to be in the final hardware, meaning you will be able to use portable to watch DVD's and video files, view photos, listen to music stored on you home network anywhere in the world via the internet. Taking things a step further , the PSP will be able to send data to teh PS3 (for example pop the memory stick from you digtal camera into your PSP while on vaction and send photos home. The PSP will also be able to control the DVR functions of the PS3. "It's something that will evolve to add new features over time" Frequent Firmware updates will continue to add new functionality to the PSP and evetually the PS3 as well".

Unless PS3 has a "sleep mode" where it can still recieve and send files, I don't see the usefulness of this because you'd have to leave your PS3 on for days at a time.

You have a point !

A cursory look at DLNA (http://dlna.org) reveals that it assumes 3 logical (basic) entities: A control point, a media server (e.g., PVR) and a media renderer. I think some sort of media printer device was also added later.

So it depends on how much you want to invest. For people who don't want to spend too much, a PS3 can conceivably act as all 3 (with a 2Gb memory stick), and most likely will have the disadvantage you mentioned. I don't know how in the world a PS3 can capture video without video-in though.

Say, if they spend more on: http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9676199755.html
(note gigabit ethernet support) or a Media PC like setup, then they get better quality of service... and PS3 can act as the controller and the renderer (for a non-DLNA display I supposed).

At least I think this is how it works based on the DLNA slides and PSP example. ;)

EDIT: As for sleep mode, I thought PS2 has a hard switch and a sleep/soft switch all these years ?

Hardknock said:
Unless they add an input for video of some kind, component, coax., composite... this won't be happening. From the pictures of the PS3 that I've seen I didn't see any video inputs. Of course this can all change, but I think he was confusing his terms. Plus if there's no HDD built-in, there'd be nothing to save stuff on.

Well, I don't think we have the whole story yet, whatever the case.

It'll be interesting to see how the hard drive thing plays out. And just PS3 and storage in general. I'm not *expecting* a DVR now - don't get me wrong - but at the same time you have to really have things confused to misuse the term DVR. For that reason, even though I'm not putting my faith in it 100%, I'm going to assume this guy meant what he said when he said DVR. But whatever, I admit that things are left kind of open-ended when you believe the guy meant what he said, but yet don't necessarily believe the guy. :)

I'm just going to wait and see what happens and what's revealed... but I can't say that I'm not hopeful for these features.

didnt sony already try the dvr thing with the PSX.. and that was a very expensive machine.. adding dvr funcionality is just going to make the ps3 even more expensive, and take it out of contention for the same market as the 360.

Nah, adding DVR functionality to consoles as powerful as 360 and PS3 in and of itself is not very expensive. Just need a storage device, video-input(shouldn't be that expensive) and the software.

Hardknock said:
Unless PS3 has a "sleep mode" where it can still recieve and send files, I don't see the usefulness of this because you'd have to leave your PS3 on for days at a time.

Seeing as I leave my computer and humidifier on "all the time" I don't see why I can't do it to the PS3. I used to leave my PS2 on for days as I played GT4 on B-spec mode.

What with all this talk of DVR functionality? I just want it to play games.

Sony has always talked about the PS3 as an always on, network enabled device. Otherwise it'd be a pretty shitty network switch (confirmed)/wifi access point (speculation). Sure, it'll have low power modes, but background processing has already been discussed with regards to "ripening content" and at the very least serving content to your PSP when you fly to Europe (hope you didn't turn off the physical switch on your PS3 before you left like a moron).

I think DVR is more likely as a part of the "Cell Storage" Sony has mentioned. They've already shown media server/jukebox devices. I imagine Cell Storage as a 500GB-TB NAS with a built in Tuner. You'd be able to put it anywhere with network/cable hookups, but program recordings from a PC, PS3, over the net from your PSP. You could rip music/movies on your PS3 over the network to Cell storage and you could combine the processing power from the PS3 and Cell Storage to recompress from MPEG2 to h.264, scale standard def stuff to high def. Downloaded music, movies and TV shows would of course be permanently stored on it as well. If Sony were smart it would all be iTunes compatible, even allowing you to keep your music library on Cell Storage. Hell, you could download the Cell version of the Seti or protien folding clients to give back to society.

scooby_dooby said:

Not a good idea? WTF? It's a great idea. It's probably not going to happen but you have to be crazy to think it's not a good idea. Your probably right about the PS3 not being able to record and play games at the sametime, so just don't play your games while the box needs to record. Any problems with that?

Have the PS3 send a message box to the TV screen stating that recording will start in 5/10/30 minutes to alert the end user would be no big deal.

mckmas8808 said:
Not a good idea? WTF? It's a great idea. It's probably not going to happen but you have to be crazy to think it's not a good idea. Your probably right about the PS3 not being able to record and play games at the sametime, so just don't play your games while the box needs to record. Any problems with that?

You probably could. I don't see why you couldn't record and play games at the same time? The OS will have reserved resources, and if there were video-in functionality, I don't see how it would conflict with video out.

That said, I don't think it's likely to be included.

Titanio said:
You probably could. I don't see why you couldn't record and play games at the same time? The OS will have reserved resources, and if there were video-in functionality, I don't see how it would conflict with video out.

That said, I don't think it's likely to be included.

Do you think that the PS3 will serve as a Location Free device? I currently don't. :cry:
Would be nice if it could though.

mckmas8808 said:
Do you think that the PS3 will serve as a Location Free device? I currently don't. :cry:
Would be nice if it could though.

A location free device exactly like the stuff Sony currently offers? It'd need video-in and other dvr-alike functionality, so I'd say no. If it had video-in, though, I'd see no reason as to why not.

But I think PSP being able to access and stream media stored on your PS3 from anywhere in the world is quite plausible (this is subtly different than what Sony's other LocationFree devices currently offer).

Back