Playstation Live ...No Try Playstation Life

I do believe they will have an online network (it would be stupid not to). But I doubt it's as ambitious as "looking skyward" and gunning for Xbox Live like this article makes it seems.

Just for kicks lets review the PS2's online plans:

But the most significant aspect of the PS2 might be its ability to hook into the Internet, making it a "Trojan horse" to bring online gaming, e-commerce, Web browsing, e-mail and downloading of music, software and video into the home. In 2001, Sony will sell a combination high-speed Internet connector and hard-disk drive that is geared solely for high-speed connections. Previous attempts to merge the Net with game consoles have flopped, but Sony thinks it can buck the trend. "You can communicate to a new cybercity," gushes Ken Kutaragi, the visionary behind the PlayStation. "This will be the ideal home server. Did you see the movie 'The Matrix'? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into 'The Matrix'!"

I get a chuckle everytime I read that :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont trust PSM=I dont believe them

They even stated that the Killzone video was ingame footage.Go figure

mrdarko said:
ok,mate! thats cool

*runs to e-empire*;)
yeah you might want to check that site now. ;) ;)

to teh people bashing PSM. They get their info from the devs and sony. Maybe someone from sony said that about the killzone video. You know they said that is real time gameplay b/4. So i don't think its PSM fault.

Anyways they have been right on with A LOT of ps3 info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardknock said:
I do believe they will have an online network (it would be stupid not to). But I doubt it's as ambitious as "looking skyward" and gunning for Xbox Live like this article makes it seems.

I get a chuckle everytime I read that :p

To be fair, I believe they actually had all that for a shortwhile (after the HDD came out), in Japan. It didn't really catch on, so they dropped it.

Hardknock said:

well i think xbox live took sony by suprise.

the ps2 had basic online but sony decided to develope their plans for ps3.

the only worry for me is how much it will cost because if it's anywhere near as good as
xbox live then i can't see how it could be free.

i'll wait for a offical announcement i think.

Kb-Smoker said:
yeah you might want to check that site now. ;) ;)

to teh people bashing PSM. They get their info from the devs and sony. Maybe someone from sony said that about the killzone video. You know they said that is real time gameplay b/4. So i don't think its PSM fault.

Anyways they have been right on with A LOT of ps3 info.

cheers mate *run's*;)

Seee, this is what I hate about Sony...just copying Mcrosoft's ideas and maybe tweaking instead of innovating.

(Yes, the above is sarcasm.)

But didn't Sony *already* announce that their online strategy is essentially unchanged for PS3 (e.g. up to the publishers, in other words, non-existent)? So how would this mesh with that? Would they just come out and say, "Sorry, just kidding".

Sethamin said:
But didn't Sony *already* announce that their online strategy is essentially unchanged for PS3 (e.g. up to the publishers, in other words, non-existent)? So how would this mesh with that? Would they just come out and say, "Sorry, just kidding".
no

they never said anything like that. They always said they are working hard to make the ps3 online gaming a lot better than ps2.

Kb-Smoker said:
no

they never said anything like that. They always said they are working hard to make the ps3 online gaming a lot better than ps2.

Sethamin is correct, I remember them specifically stating that they were going the same route as PS2 as far as letting the publishers decide and it being free.

Maybe that's changed, who knows.

Hardknock said:
Sethamin is correct, I remember them specifically stating that they were going the same route as PS2 as far as letting the publishers decide and it being free.

Hmmm.... Didn't Sethamin say he was just kidding?

Hardknock said:
Errr... Reread his post. :???:

Oh I see. He was talking about Sony saying "just kidding". Cool. Well I would like to see where Sony has already given the world their online plans? I was under the assumption that we were still waiting on this information. But maybe you guys have information that nobody else does.

No we're not privy to any secret information. I'm just good at reading and remembering the information I recieve. There was a Japanese interview where it was stated the PS3's online plans would be just like PS2. It was on GAF, do a search.

Hardknock said:

That's regarding the commercial relationship between the publishers and the consumers only. Phil Harrison stated the following in his keynote on GDC:

Phil Harrison said:
We want to provide an open platform wherever possible. We want to create a paltform on which publishers can exploit their services. We are happy for publishers to form their own commercial relationships directly with the consumer.

When asked to comment about Xbox Live's success over PS2's online, he pointed out that Sony is also working towards making PS3 have significant online capabilities while maintaining an 'open-platform'.

http://www.ps3portal.com/ps3/article/172.html

Back in May 2005 GameBiz interviewed Phil Harrsion asked about online compared to xbox live:

GameBiz:
Can we expect to see Sony really working to catch up in that department on PS3?

Phil Harrison:
I think that philosophically, PlayStation 2's online offering is an add-on to the hardware and software and operating system. In PlayStation 3, online is part of the DNA of the machine - in fact, the Cell processor itself is designed from the ground up to be connected to a broadband network.

So from switch on, day one of the machine, network functionality will pervade every aspect of the machine. We talked a little bit about that at the conference, but there's a lot more detail to go into about some of the really cool things - like, if your PS3 is switched on at home, it can be a media server to your PSP on the other side of the planet. Now that is incredibly cool. I could sit here in LA and navigate the data which is stored on my PS3, and download music and other data off my PS3, onto my PSP.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9051

Hardknock said:
No we're not privy to any secret information. I'm just good at reading and remembering the information I recieve. There was a Japanese interview where it was stated the PS3's online plans would be just like PS2. It was on GAF, do a search.

So for instance what will the PS3 definately not have that the PS2 was limited to? To me it seems like (no actually I know 99.9%) that the PS3 online system will be more than what we received from the PS2.

If they can implement half the features that were asked in the recent poll by Sony, it'll be "good enough". If they can make all those features happen, it'll be better than MS "Live" featurewise.
The functionality of those features will still remain to be seen.
If the online service isn't easy to use and fast, it doesn't matter how many features it has.

Back