DDos or how we lost our games to a Lizard

MTU mentioned in Prolexic's marketting:

http://www.prolexic.com/services-dos-and-ddos-mitigation.html

Prolexic describes different tiers of their service. If you setup a hard connection from your machine room to theirs, they say:

No impact to Maximum Transmission Units (MTUs)

Doesn't explain why it breaks things but adds weight to this being related to Sony's DDOS protection. Also, their documentation states they have 2TB of bandwidth in their scrubbing centers.

Cheers

Well a large chunk of the DDoS is originating from ColorCrossing IPs (based in Buffalo NY). At least the chunk that is crippling all our infrastructure at the moment anyway. Twats.

Well a large chunk of the DDoS is originating from ColorCrossing IPs (based in Buffalo NY).
Why isn't this ISP putting an end to it? Call them up and chew them out! :D And out of curiosity, what infrastructure of yours is getting DDOS'd?

Why isn't this ISP putting an end to it? Call them up and chew them out! :D And out of curiosity, what infrastructure of yours is getting DDOS'd?

Abuse emails have been sent but, going by past experience, it will have no effect what so ever. Basically our web infrastructure (as in publicly facing assets) is getting nuked as a by product of the current DDoS shite that's happening. A Google Maps plugin for Joomla was allowing connections to other sites via a proxy script that allows for GET arguments. Normally fixing, blocking, or removing the script stops the servers trying to access it. But this time that's not happening which leads me to assume that there is nobody home at the other end. It looks like they have automated the process using other compromised servers. Basically they've switched it on and then run. And are now back to sucking milk from their mothers tits. My entire holiday so far has been crafting iptables rules. Joy.

Our isp kills our connection if we generate known bot traffic. Very effective way of getting our attention.

oooh so thats why i can connect earlier to PSN than my friends. By default my ADSL modem put the MTU around 1400

Find some explanation about why MTU change worked on reddit

Somebody must have been stressed out if they deliver a service over a GRE tunnel and do not account for MTU size and fragmentation. Either your clueless or somebody forced you to enable it without letting you think it through.

Its more plausible than reconfiguring of some core routers :)

its in time of stress, panic, and holiday. The leftover staff do whatever they can in the short time.

i imagine them like in shaun the sheep, where the boss is not there, the sheeps thinks for themselves.

A member of the hacker group that claimed responsibility for the Christmas Day shutdown of Sony and Microsoft’s gaming networks has been arrested.

Vinnie Omari, a 22-year-old member of the group Lizard Squad, was arrested on Monday after British law enforcement agents from the South East Regional Organized Crime Unit raided his home. Omari confirmed the raid with the Daily Dot, and provided a photo of the search warrant he received.

“They took everything,” Omari told the Daily Dot in an email. “Xbox one, phones, laptops, computer USBs, etc.”
Omari was released on bail on Tuesday, according to a bail release form published online. He says no charges have been filed, “just alleged charges.” He added that he’ll “know more when the forensics team gets info.” He refused to provide further details about the alleged 2013 crimes.

Source: http://www.dailydot.com/crime/lizard-squad-vinnie-omari-arrested/

Police Release: http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/n...s/newsevents-pressreleases-item.htm?id=298271

The arrest yesterday (30/12) is in connection with an ongoing investigation in to cyber fraud offences which took place between 2013 and August 2014 during which victims reported funds being stolen from their PayPal accounts.

The arrested man was released on bail until 10 March.

“They took everything,” Omari told the Daily Dot in an email. “Xbox one, phones, laptops, computer USBs, etc.”
Oh noes, they took his USBs! :rolleyes:

Also, if this guy's indeed one of the lizards... Funny he had a bone. Hope he didn't want to play it over the holidays...or maybe, hope he DID. :p

Back