Playstation Live ...No Try Playstation Life

What says the person(s) they are hiring with that ad is to start the development of those online libraries from scratch?
I'd guess they might just be recruiting more people to further develop the PS3 online libraries, which might or might not be quite ready already, and are just making the team bigger and stronger.

It's sure though, as soon as they get (they've got) those libraries done, they aren't just going to let them be.
I'm sure there is some continuous development going on at Sony online department too ;)

london-boy said:
What would be the problem if the service isn't ready now?

There's no problem with that, it's just that you won't get a Live-grade integration - which was the point of this thread - if you haven't thought about that from the start (see my other post in this thread).

pipo said:
There's no problem with that, it's just that you won't get a Live-grade integration - which was the point of this thread - if you haven't thought about that from the start (see my other post in this thread).

Uhm the start is in the future, so what's the problem?
It's not like PS3 is out now, and Sony's scrapping together a service now to make up for it...
In the end, for all we know, Sony could have a service up and running when PS3 comes out, which makes your arguments very tiring. If they don't, then you can bitch about it. As it stands, you really can't comment on it now.

MasaC said:
Do you honestly believe Sony just figured out they should have their own online gaming network?

Not at all what I've been saying (please have a look at my other posts too).

If you do, then you are ignoring what the people at Sony been saying atleat since E3 2005.

That's not a lot in my book - we were discussing a Live-type of service here, not streaming media to your PSP or something. Please prove me wrong.

Hint: They're looking for an "engineer", not a team leader, or a supervisor, just a person (persons?) that'd be part of an (exsisting?) engineering team.

london-boy said:
Uhm the start is in the future, so what's the problem?

That IMHO they seem to start a bit late with this as a lot of titles are already far into development.

If they don't, then you can bitch about it. As it stands, you really can't comment on it now.

I'm not bitching. All I'm saying is if they had this figured out and it was supposed to be a real strategy, they would at least have the libs for the devs ready at this point in time.

It sounds like libraries to be made available to devs for lobby development etc. Are lobbies unified on 360? I know Halo2 had its own seperates one etc.

And I'd agree that the job posting says nothing about timing - libraries are constantly evolving, and part of this job is also supporting them (i.e. helping devs to use them).

Anyway, there's so much going around that it's easy to get carried away with possibilities. There's a lot of potential, but execution is paramount. We'll see what Sony comes through with.

For some reason, I thought SCEE was doing this, not SCEA.

Which teams are bigger? You would think SCEA is supporting the bigger market.

However, didn't most of the demos at E3 seem to come out of SCEE?

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has many developer-teams that solely focus on R&D etc. (EyeToy is from SCEE as well as far I know).

Sony is not starting from ground zero.

pipo said:
It sure ain't rocket science, but you can't implement it right when it's an afterthought. Or: Live 360 works because it's fully integrated into the system.

And I'm not even talking about playing music or downloading demo's, just the friends, achievements, gamercard, VOIP (when in different games), uniform way to handle messages, etc.

Sethamin said:
Do not underestimate the amount of effort it takes to build an online service. Just because you can imagine how it could be built, doesn't make the actual building of it easy. The amount of backend work required, let alone the whole operations centers you have to spin up to support millions of users, is not trivial at all...

It is still not rocket science compared to game development. I am speaking from personal experiences and I have built unified login systems for 14 different companies in the 90s (That's why I knew about FireFly, before MS acquired it).

For new gaming-specific services (e.g., player matching), it's pretty much a clean slate (or borrow from SOE). So there should be no retrofitting issues. I think SOE also already has a single id for all its game packages for more than a year.

For integrating into Sony's existing assets (If that's what they want to do): Usually the most hassle is the user database and schema (e.g., name clashes between existing services). This is also where your gamercard, friends, achievements, .. comes in. Glue-code has to be written to calculate and store the user attributes properly. The user authentication and authorization framework also needs to be "harmonized" to provide consistent check-and-balance (billing).

For VoIP and messaging, it's irrelevant at this layer. The VoIP directory and gateway can take a different (hidden) unique ids to route calls. There are existing standards + components (e.g., SIP, Jabber) that Sony can use easily. But they may consider partnerships to lower their cost and avoid these infrastructure.

In general, there are a few tricks to retrofit XBL-like services into existing apps and provide a good enough user experiences... while they shift the backend over time to simplify the operations. Most of these are transparent to the users.

The harder part is actually the UI. It's not easy to get it right *and* keep it simple when your site has tons of things to offer. Looking at Sony Playstation's online assets: SOE (station.com), connect.com, playstation.com, Sony Style (portions relevant to gaming), ... there are A LOT in place already (> Xbox LIVE but in a different way ?).

From the outside view, Sony seems to let these sites run loose. May be they are, or may be they are just having a tedious time trying to integrate all these mess together. Tedious != Difficult but still take time.

IMHO, the hardest part is to defend against hackers when you have so much legacy code. But I think this can be left to the individual divisions to handle (for now). And again it's usually transparent to the users unless shit happened. Scalability is something they should already do well given their sizes.

pipo said:
If Sony didn't prepare for a dashboard/guide-like app to run on PS3 in the first place, they're going to have a lot of fun implementing that sort of functionality later on (now?) in the project.

While the backend is getting ready, Sony can integrate Cross Media Bar as the front end. I think there were some posts about Sony extending "XMB" to handle the Internet, HDTV for PS3. In any case, PSP already has a headstart there. It also has a "Location Free" icon in v2.6.

However I think more refinement is needed to integrate the experiences organically (instead of just 1 menu icon that says Location Free, "everything" should be Location Free within XMB).

Sethamin said:
... and then there's SDK and libraries you have to provide to game developers to hook in to. It's actually a pretty staggering amount of work, even without providing servers to host games. The reason no one seems to appreciate how much work it entails is that MS is the only one who has ever really done it (successfully) up until now. Also remember that Sony's core competency is hardware, not software, so it'll be that much more difficult for them to build it.

SOE has a subset. Also Game SDK companies have some. IBM also has a hand in butterfly.net (grid computing for games), but I think that venture tanked ?

Sethamin said:
No, I would doubt very much we're going to see a very full featured online service from Sony. I can see a simple one with just basic authentication and unified identity, but more than that and I'd be suprised. More power to them if they can.

You may be right but they are not starting from ground zero. They need to bring their existing user base forward from all over the place, instead of starting something new (again).

This role is to assist the game teams implement online elements in their products, and support the strategic online goals of the company. This will include writing and supporting libraries to help game teams concentrate their efforts on writing game code both for in-game networking, and for lobby functionality (e.g. Matchmaking, content download), supporting the use of key SDKs produced by the group in the U.S. creating the bulk of the networking middleware for use by the teams, and providing lessons learned/best practice for teams embarking on online projects.
On first read I had the same thought about Sony building an online service, but if you read it more closely this could easily be standalone middleware libraries which don't necessarily hook into a centralized service. Admittedly, content download would be an odd one to give APIs for, but why would the development team for the online service be in the US and not Japan? That doesn't really make any sense.

patsu said:
You may be right but they are not starting from ground zero. They need to bring their existing user base forward from all over the place, instead of starting something new (again).
You make good points about SOE and other assets that Sony can leverage, but in reality I don't believe they add up to much. Collaborating across groups in a large corporation is very difficult, and if you've never worked in one it's hard to convey just how much the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. A huge corporation is more like a multi-headed hydra than a lumbering giant; they're both big and powerful, but the giant is at least semi-coordinated, while the hydra each has its own head trying to go seperate directions. It's one thing if you can wholesale outsource the entire project to another group with more expertise, and that can usually work, but for something like an online service I would expect it would have to be owned by the Playstation team - which means leveraging those other groups is going to be much harder. Bottom line: I think they pretty much are (or did) start from ground zero.

Titanio said:
The rumour section or the magazine as a whole?

It just seems like everything I see from PSM either proves to be flat-out wrong, is totally exagerrated, or a 1st-party developer just towing the company line.

I'm sure most qutes are totally cherry-picked, but still, PSM seems to be the source of some of the worst hype, exagerated claims, biased interviews, and false rumours than any magazine I've ever heard of.

This whole 'look to the sky' thing is a perfect example, what a load of crap.

On the subject at hand, I really hope Sony releases a kick-ass FREE online gaming system, this will give MS some competition and drive them to improve their services, and maybe even make it free as well. Either way, competition is needed here, so I hope Sony brings it.

scooby_dooby said:
This whole 'look to the sky' thing is a perfect example, what a load of crap.

Well that's their own editorialising. I wouldn't pay much attention..I would pay more if there was actually more hard information there (even if "sourced"), but there really isn't.

(Oh, and about the whole UT2K7 "launch title" slip..crucifying them for that, when it was part of a much larger hands-on preview and interview with Epic, I think the first hands-on report for a PS3 game, seems a little heavy-handed).

In the end it boils down to Sony's execution. I hope for some good competition to Live too, and there's potential, but until we see their plans laid bare, it's very difficult to call (despite hopeful murmurings like this).

Here are some short presentations of people that are going to talk about PS3 networking on Devstation 2006 in March:

Micha Werle
Senior Engineer

Micha joined SCEE in early 2002 and has been applying his networking skills and knowledge in the area of online console gaming ever since. His current focus is integrating middleware with the SCEE Networking Gaming Service as well as working on new network-related technologies both for established consoles as well as the upcoming PS3.

Micha is going to present a low-level overview of PS3 networking.

-------

Mike Kavallierou
Director

Mike has been back at SCEE since May 2003, having spent the previous 2 and a half years at Microsoft working on Xbox and Xbox Live. His first industry job was also at SCEE working on PlayStation and PlayStation 2 in developer support up until the day of European launch. He has a great collection of NDAs from his previous employers, and his current focus is network technologies on all platforms.

Mike is going to talk about PS3 networking.

http://www.devstation.scee.com/speakers

Sethamin said:
You make good points about SOE and other assets that Sony can leverage, but in reality I don't believe they add up to much. Collaborating across groups in a large corporation is very difficult, and if you've never worked in one it's hard to convey just how much the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.

Yes, 6 years with a large organization. The difficulty may not stop a motivated and determined company, especially after a series of bad quarters.

A friend has just been hired to lead a SWAT integration team across divisions in a multi-billion dollar company. After 2-3 months of flying around and quick interactions, the team actually grew bigger. Experienced PM from various divisions were roped in. A reorg occured shortly after, and new budget proposals are floating around now. With threats from the far east, new opportunities, plus bad quarters, turns out that the management of this company is rather serious about leveraging its disseparate divisions to minimize cost and streamline operations.

Sony's mileage may vary but I seriously doubt that they won't try to leverage the relevant units at all. We'll just have to wait and see.

I do agree with you that not all will be released initially due to time constraints and scoping issues. I also forgot to mention that recent Zipper Interactive (SOCOM) acquisition also allows Sony to leverage on their online expertise and assets.

Last edited by a moderator:
patsu said:
In general, there are a few tricks to retrofit XBL-like services into existing apps and provide a good enough user experiences... while they shift the backend over time to simplify the operations. Most of these are transparent to the users.

The harder part is actually the UI. It's not easy to get it right *and* keep it simple when your site has tons of things to offer. Looking at Sony Playstation's online assets: SOE (station.com), connect.com, playstation.com, Sony Style (portions relevant to gaming), ... there are A LOT in place already (> Xbox LIVE but in a different way ?).

Great post. Let's just say I agree with you for about 90% (I don't feel like starting a discussion though, because I'm getting accused for trolling already).

scooby_dooby said:
On the subject at hand, I really hope Sony releases a kick-ass FREE online gaming system, this will give MS some competition and drive them to improve their services, and maybe even make it free as well. Either way, competition is needed here, so I hope Sony brings it.

I agree 100% here. :)

It'll hopefully also push Nintendo. I'm one of those 3M DS online connections, but they haven't seen me back since...

Back