Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

When someone posted the leak of the smaller, slitted model earlier in this thread, I was convinced we wouldn't see a removable disc drive. I'm glad to see I was wrong.

Hopefully this same disc drive will be compatible with the Pro.

Yes that $399 price tag in US was still an anomaly.

Sony were like: "do we really need that $399 min price for PR marketing thingy in US?"
and Jimbo probably answered "My retirement bonuses require a $449 minimum price even in US"
Certainly makes the $350 of the series S 1tb more attractive and the $300 of the base series s is now $150 less than the Digital Slim. MS can capitalize this holiday with a base series s at $250 or even $220 like last year and move a lot of units this holiday

Btw anyone has disassembled this new slimmer PS5? It hasn't leaked in the market yet?

Certainly makes the $350 of the series S 1tb more attractive and the $300 of the base series s is now $150 less than the Digital Slim. MS can capitalize this holiday with a base series s at $250 or even $220 like last year and move a lot of units this holiday

Maybe even combines with gamepass marketing blitz.

For some reason, many Xbox series gamers still doesn't know gamepass and still gets confused with it.

At least from the posts on Xbox subreddits.

Btw anyone has disassembled this new slimmer PS5? It hasn't leaked in the market yet?

Maybe even combines with gamepass marketing blitz.

For some reason, many Xbox series gamers still doesn't know gamepass and still gets confused with it.

At least from the posts on Xbox subreddits.

I don't blame them , the marketing names for game pass are very confusing for most gamers. Perhaps now that xbox live is gone and its just game pass it will be easier for people to understand.

MS has had at least in the USA in past years the series s at $200-$250. If they can get the systems on amazon and other places like target/walmart for black friday I think it can do very well. Esp at $200 The jump to the ps5 digital slim will be very large in comparison

I do have to wonder how many fats Sony still has to get through.

Hopefully this same disc drive will be compatible with the Pro.
I think that would be extremely sensible and likely. It is just a disc drive at the end of the day.

And allows them to sell the Pro at $599. If there was a $679 SKU, it would probably get worse reception, even though that's exactly what it will(likely) cost with a disc drive.

Some comparison shots of the new PS5 model and the fat model :
Can't wait for a teardown and I wonder if they changed the liquid metal cooling solution and what about the main SSD storage of the console ?

F9yfKJDXgAA5-4m

F9yfKrSWUAA1f_y

F9yfLV1XAAEUKYJ

F9yfMUSW8AAGPv_

Attachments

• screenshot_20231031_205852.png
    screenshot_20231031_205852.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 11
Can't wait for a teardown and I wonder if they changed the liquid metal cooling solution and what about the main SSD storage of the console ?

F9yfKJDXgAA5-4m

F9yfKrSWUAA1f_y

F9yfLV1XAAEUKYJ

F9yfMUSW8AAGPv_
Yeah no thanks. Looks like those Gamestation knockoffs. The original chunky boy looks much better.

Yeah no thanks. Looks like those Gamestation knockoffs. The original chunky boy looks much better.
I do prefer the fat model as well. Just interested in knowing more about the harsware inside.
I' ll probably skip this new model and wait to learn more about the upcoming pro model if it ll be worth the upgrade.

F9yfKJDXgAA5-4m

F9yfKrSWUAA1f_y

F9yfLV1XAAEUKYJ

F9yfMUSW8AAGPv_
I am worried about the noise this new model will produce. But if it's still 6nm there is 100% chance they still use liquid metal cooling.

It's still so big. lol It really puts into perspective how absurd the original PS5 is in terms of form factor.

And yea, the new one looks cheap. Way to go Sony, probably saving a bunch of money on all this, while also raising the price. smh Scumbags. Stuff like this really puts me off ever wanting to buy one. It's not just that I'm being a cheapskate(though I am), it's also simply pettiness. I would feel dirty giving in and buying this crap and giving them my money knowing their intention to exploit us instead of passing at least *some* cost savings onto us like consoles have always done in the past.

It's still so big. lol It really puts into perspective how absurd the original PS5 is in terms of form factor.

And yea, the new one looks cheap. Way to go Sony, probably saving a bunch of money on all this, while also raising the price. smh Scumbags. Stuff like this really puts me off ever wanting to buy one. It's not just that I'm being a cheapskate(though I am), it's also simply pettiness. I would feel dirty giving in and buying this crap and giving them my money knowing their intention to exploit us instead of passing at least *some* cost savings onto us like consoles have always done in the past.

Even Nintendo looks more consumer friendly nowadays...

The design is an abomination. Didnt like any of the slim designs since PS3. And it's getting worse.
Can't believe this looks is going to be the standard onwards.

My personal opinion is if they're not reducing the reliability and performance, then having it be a bit more ugly as a byproduct of reduced cost is worth it. I don't know why they made the PS5 designs look stupid, but it would be the last thing on my mind when making a purchase decision.

The design is an abomination. Didnt like any of the slim designs since PS3. And it's getting worse.
Can't believe this looks is going to be the standard onwards.
at lease with ps3 slim its cheaper....
this one is more expensive in some regions

My personal opinion is if they're not reducing the reliability and performance, then having it be a bit more ugly as a byproduct of reduced cost is worth it. I don't know why they made the PS5 designs look stupid, but it would be the last thing on my mind when making a purchase decision.
As a purchasing decision, why do you care how much it costs Sony to make? Especially when they are actually RAISING the prices for you as they slash costs?

Back